Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:20 PM

18 posts, read 19,473 times

Advertisements

I just took my dna test and I got some strange results I was not expecting, first I am 60% white mostly from north europe(scandinavia, ireland, germnay) then it said I was 10% native Mexican and 30% black. However heres the problem I don't look like this mixture at all, most people think I am Italian, Spanish or arabic with my dark brown hair, tan skin, straight/wavy hair yet white features. So my question is what race do I go by now?

PS i forgot to add this to the poll but would i actually be considered hispanic? since hispanics are mixed of white, black and native?

Last edited by jon dna; 08-20-2017 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 09:23 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Two points:
1. All DNA results are mixed.
2. DNA as understood by the commercial typing companies means less than your horoscope.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Two points:
1. All DNA results are mixed.
2. DNA as understood by the commercial typing companies means less than your horoscope.
So are you saying the results are false? I'm confused

Old 08-20-2017, 09:30 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon dna View Post
So are you saying the results are false? I'm confused
No, the results are pretty accurate in determining different continents. It's the sub-continental regions that are only really estimates and shouldn't be taken too literally. Also the idea that everyone is mixed - well, it may be true if you could go back far enough but within the time frame the ethnicity reports reflex, there are often people who come back 100% European or 100% African, etc.

What your results mean is that you are of mixed race. I'm sorry you're unhappy with that but it looks like that is the case. How you choose to define yourself from here is really not something anyone else can tell you.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No, the results are pretty accurate in determining different continents. It's the sub-continental regions that are only really estimates and shouldn't be taken too literally. Also the idea that everyone is mixed - well, it may be true if you could go back far enough but within the time frame the ethnicity reports reflex, there are often people who come back 100% European or 100% African, etc.

What your results mean is that you are of mixed race. I'm sorry you're unhappy with that but it looks like that is the case. How you choose to define yourself from here is really not something anyone else can tell you.
Thank you, I actually am happy with this mixture, it was actually a typo on my introduction that i need to fix.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:05 PM

385 posts, read 440,677 times
Quote:
So my question is what race do I go by now?
I have a somewhat similar result with my test and I consider myself mixed (though I also understood this anyway because my parents are two different races). I tend to select Other or Two or More Races on forms.

It is important that you define your "label" and not anyone else. You should always be who you are no matter what people see or feel you to be. I am all kinds of ethnicities to various people, but my own definition is always primary.

And yes, with Mexican ancestry, you can select Hispanic as your ethnicity...though no one will force you to do so.

Hope that helps. :-)

Old 08-20-2017, 11:00 PM

661 posts, read 880,685 times
Quote:
I just took my dna test and I got some strange results I was not expecting, first I am 60% white mostly from north europe(scandinavia, ireland, germnay) then it said I was 10% native Mexican and 30% black. However heres the problem I don't look like this mixture at all, most people think I am Italian, Spanish or arabic with my dark brown hair, tan skin, straight/wavy hair yet white features. So my question is what race do I go by now?

PS i forgot to add this to the poll but would i actually be considered hispanic? since hispanics are mixed of white, black and native?
In DNA test, "majority" rules.
If you are 60% European, you are Caucasian or White. Period.

If a person is 51% Black and 49% White, that person is Black. Period. Ask Condoleezza Rice about her DNA results.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:15 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
I think you should identify as Asian. Keep 'em guessing.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:16 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
In DNA test, "majority" rules.
If you are 60% European, you are Caucasian or White. Period.

If a person is 51% Black and 49% White, that person is Black. Period. Ask Condoleezza Rice about her DNA results.
Hahaha! I don't blame Condi for saying that she is black. She is mixed over generations (Haven't encountered a black American yet who isn't; Skip Gates has not either to my knowledge) and percentages means nothing when you are raised that you are a black person. Ask Condi's "black" father if he was still alive. Maybe this has something to do with that One Drop Rule and then that "mulatto" designation on the census that disappeared by 1930? Hhmmm....

OP for me, it is the one that you have identified with culturally up until the point of testing. FOR ME. But please consider and explore your other ethnicity. I have always known on some level that I am not 100% African, but suspected heavily African pre-test. And even then as a black American, just where in Africa? I tend to follow and adhere to my cultural background in my identity as I KNEW it, growing up. And this is coming from someone who was often confused when people would ask my racial background.

I am southern black American. To put it out there, I am Straight Outta Mississippi!

Old 08-21-2017, 04:19 AM

806 posts, read 877,089 times
You're an unhyphenated American . Own it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy