Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 10:23 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,910,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
How is that useful though, unless you have the IDs memorized? Family Tree Maker will assign ID numbers too - I've never found it useful.
I find the ID's useful. I can add a person by ID and it will carry over all the info including all the family (their children, their husband, supporting doc's etc). I haven't found a way in Ancestry to easily do that. If there is I would love to know how :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 10:26 AM

10,194 posts, read 17,733,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
It's VERY useful when you're doing merges on FS. FS is designed with one large global tree in mind whereas Ancestry is designed so everybody has their own private tree. Records can't be attached to more than one person on FS. This means that if a conflict occurs that you have to manually detach one record and add to another record or merge the two records. The record id's are very important in this situation. There's no equivalent that I can think of on Ancestry.
There's no equivalent on Ancestry because it's not a crowd sourced tree. You can merge people within your own tree when you have duplicates, but I've never found a need for ID number - the right name will do.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I love my heritage for DNA but for family trees there is a limit of 200 people for free accounts. You should try to keep up your ancestry tree while using my heritage in case you decide to go back. If at some point you decide you're done with my heritage be sure to back up your tree because I'm not sure what they'll do to it being so large if you go back to a free account.
They don't do anything. Even with a free account, you can upload a gedcom that exceeds 200 people and they won't prevent it or remove anything, you just constantly get a notice saying "Your family tree has 588 people. This exceeds the Basic subscription plan of your family site. Upgrade subscription plan". I can still view and access all the people in my tree - whether they are all visible to everyone else though, I couldn't say.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:51 AM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I love my heritage for DNA but for family trees there is a limit of 200 people for free accounts. You should try to keep up your ancestry tree while using my heritage in case you decide to go back. If at some point you decide you're done with my heritage be sure to back up your tree because I'm not sure what they'll do to it being so large if you go back to a free account.
I was so impressed with the matches I got with my 'free account' that I upgraded this year, I paid $120 for a full year and find it well worth it. I sync my data to "my family tree maker" which is a stand alone app. I've tested it and I can use it (but not sync it) without internet access so I'm guessing my data will all be there and accessible to me if I go back to the my heritage basic plan.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I was so impressed with the matches I got with my 'free account' that I upgraded this year, I paid $120 for a full year and find it well worth it. I sync my data to "my family tree maker" which is a stand alone app. I've tested it and I can use it (but not sync it) without internet access so I'm guessing my data will all be there and accessible to me if I go back to the my heritage basic plan.
MyHeritage syncs with Family Tree Builder, not Family Tree Maker, which syncs with your Ancestry.com tree, not with MyHeritage.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:03 PM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
MyHeritage syncs with Family Tree Builder, not Family Tree Maker, which syncs with your Ancestry.com tree, not with MyHeritage.
That's correct, sorry if I caused any confusion

Old 11-24-2018, 09:30 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,230,135 times
Quote:
How is that useful though, unless you have the IDs memorized? Family Tree Maker will assign ID numbers too - I've never found it useful.
It's useful in that one person, if it is truly the right person, is assigned a unique identifier (basically a serial #), where as on Ancestry you can change the name of a person and call them whatever you want and when looking at and comparing other trees, it's not super easy to tell if that person is really the right so and so they are saying they are.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It's useful in that one person, if it is truly the right person, is assigned a unique identifier (basically a serial #), where as on Ancestry you can change the name of a person and call them whatever you want and when looking at and comparing other trees, it's not super easy to tell if that person is really the right so and so they are saying they are.
Even if they had ID numbers at Ancestry, when looking at and comparing other trees, the same person on another tree will still have a different ID number so I don't see how that would help.

I can see the value of ID numbers at crowd sourced trees because you're probably going to have hundreds of John Smiths and some may even have similar details, you need something more distinctive to identify people. But at Ancestry, it's unnecessary since the trees are individual and not crowd sourced. You may have more than one John Smith per tree but chances are, they have different details. I have never found a need for an ID number to tell them apart. And as far as I can see, that's the real value of ID numbers: telling different people with similar details apart, not in comparing the duplicates of the same people (the ID number will be different until they are merged, so the ID number doesn't tell you they are the same person).

Old 11-25-2018, 09:39 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,230,135 times
Quote:
Even if they had ID numbers at Ancestry, when looking at and comparing other trees, the same person on another tree will still have a different ID number so I don't see how that would help.

I can see the value of ID numbers at crowd sourced trees because you're probably going to have hundreds of John Smiths and some may even have similar details, you need something more distinctive to identify people. But at Ancestry, it's unnecessary since the trees are individual and not crowd sourced. You may have more than one John Smith per tree but chances are, they have different details. I have never found a need for an ID number to tell them apart. And as far as I can see, that's the real value of ID numbers: telling different people with similar details apart, not in comparing the duplicates of the same people (the ID number will be different until they are merged, so the ID number doesn't tell you they are the same person).
In my method the same person wouldn't have a different number on different trees, Ancestry would assign every single person ever born a unique number and that number is connected to that person for infinity. I like what someone mentioned up above in that Family Search and the LDS Church is basically trying to create a single family tree where everybody who has every lived on this planet is connected to one another.

It would be interesting, in the future, if you go to Family Search or some other website, put in a name, yours or a relatives or a friend, anyone and it just gives you (spits out) the most detailed family tree ever created. I know it's a pipe dream, but one can dream!

Last edited by cjseliga; 11-25-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 11:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,739,934 times
Quote:

Will note I also find the IDs useful. Mostly because I have a lot of people in my extended family who have the same name and were born/died around the same time. I do wish that ancestry had a similar sort of way to go through your personal tree. I have thousands of people on my tree and I have multiple family lines with the surnames of Jones and Robinson and even a couple Smith in-laws and all of them are named John and Mary lol. So the ID numbers are useful on family search but agree you have to know the ID. I've printed out family sheets for most of my lines and they include the ID number when you do this on family search so I do have a reference for them (they are in 3 ring binders that I take to family events or genealogical meetings in my local area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy