U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:20 PM

14,502 posts, read 6,926,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
The answer for large numbers of Puerto Rican matches is simple: endogamy. There is an "island effect" in genetics noticed on every island not located close to mainland, where populations have been historically restricted in movement because of geography. The population largely descends from the original native inhabitants of the island, and later the European colonizers. It is similar to the results of Jewish customers, descendants of a population that was socially isolated for centuries and married within the group. They too find thousands of DNA matches in their DNA tests.

Americans with a small number of matches means something too, that your recent ancestors were immigrants. I work with lot of adoptees who know nothing about their origins, and when someone has a low number of matches it's a dead giveaway that they had recent immigrant ancestors, which is a disadvantage when trying to identify biological family. We had a joke not long ago when DNA testing was still new: "There's good news and bad news about your DNA test: the good news is that your'e Italian! The bad news is that you have only 5 matches." Italians turn out to be an ethnicity that is one of the least likely to take DNA tests.
Per the bolded --- The population also descends from slaves forcibly brought to the New World. Thus, a mix of European, Native American Indian and Africans, mostly from West Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 08:31 PM

510 posts, read 698,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's probably because at least half of your ancestry weren't in America before the 1920's. While the test is available in other countries, the majority of testers are American, which means if half your family has only been here for a few generations, there aren't many descendants of them to have taken the test. Of course, you probably have distant cousins who are likely descendants of cousins of your immigrant ancestors too, but they will be fewer.

That said, make sure you're considering how many matches you have in total - not how many 4th cousins or closer you have, or how many pages of matches you have. I've seen people confuse both of those with the total number of their matches.

I have 369 4th cousins or closer. I have 338 pages of matches - with 50 matches per page, that's 16,900 matches in total.

My mom has 410 4th cousins or closer. 324 pages and 16,200 matches.

My dad has 365 4th cousins or closer. 202 pages and 10,100 matches.

My dad is half Italian - his Italian ancestors arrived in between the 1880s and 1914, whereas my mom's ancestry is almost entirely colonial apart from two branches who arrived in the 1840s and 1850s. So that explains why my dad has much fewer matches than my mom.
ok--I messed up . Thanks for posting this.

I have 214 4th cousins or closer, 224 pages all together, 11,200 matches

my wife has 4816 4th cousins or closer, 577 pages - 28,850 matches

Old 09-24-2017, 08:32 PM

2,933 posts, read 4,602,114 times
Quote:
The answer for large numbers of Puerto Rican matches is simple: endogamy. There is an "island effect" in genetics noticed on every island not located close to mainland, where populations have been historically restricted in movement because of geography. The population largely descends from the original native inhabitants of the island, and later the European colonizers. It is similar to the results of Jewish customers, descendants of a population that was socially isolated for centuries and married within the group. They too find thousands of DNA matches in their DNA tests.

Americans with a small number of matches means something too, that your recent ancestors were immigrants. I work with lot of adoptees who know nothing about their origins, and when someone has a low number of matches it's a dead giveaway that they had recent immigrant ancestors, which is a disadvantage when trying to identify biological family. We had a joke not long ago when DNA testing was still new: "There's good news and bad news about your DNA test: the good news is that your'e Italian! The bad news is that you have only 5 matches." Italians turn out to be an ethnicity that is one of the least likely to take DNA tests.

Fascinating!

So, OP's small number of matches may be due to family being more recent immigrants?

Old 09-24-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:

The Island effect makes sense--thank you for posting.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:59 AM

6,718 posts, read 9,218,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Those listed as fourth cousins are often much more distant than that. You may match through more than one line, especially if your ancestors came to the early colonies. I have one match at FTDNA where we have fairly distant common ancestors in separate lines to three of her four grandparents.

In fact, I am finding most of my "fourth" cousins with identifiable common ancestors are more distant than that.
I think this is a big part of my matches. My paternal grandfather can easily be traced back to Salem in the 1600s. The rest are a bit iffy. My roadblock, I have guessed, is that the rest of the family came over in mid to late 1800s and ended up in Chicago. With the great fire, lots of the documents were lost.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:35 AM

3,479 posts, read 5,136,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
So, OP's small number of matches may be due to family being more recent immigrants?
Yes. People who describe themselves as "typical white Americans" (which I have to say there is no such thing) usually mean that they are mostly descendants of early colonial populations from the British Isles (with maybe some "other" mixed in like German). The colonists who got here first and their descendants had the longest time to reproduce on the mainland and spread across the country. So an individual who arrived from England in 1630 could conceivably have a million or so descendants today, some of whom take DNA tests and have a good chance of matching others since the pool is so large. Compare that to people of Italian ancestry, when Italian immigration peaked around 1907. That doesn't give them much time to create large pools of related people in the US to "match" genetically, although there will be distant matches to other people with Italian ancestry that goes back hundreds of years before immigration.

The number of Europeans tested remains very small compared to Americans. An Englishman I've corresponded with took the Ancestry test and concluded, "I'm related to everyone in America and no one in England." The results are very heavily skewed to Americans who are purchasing most of the tests by far.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:09 PM

9,254 posts, read 14,290,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
ok--I messed up . Thanks for posting this.

I have 214 4th cousins or closer, 224 pages all together, 11,200 matches

my wife has 4816 4th cousins or closer, 577 pages - 28,850 matches
That makes more sense. You are still seeing fewer matches than your wife because half your ancestry were more recent immigrants, but 11,200 in total makes more sense than 200. If you can edit your original post to add this, you might want to do so.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That makes more sense. You are still seeing fewer matches than your wife because half your ancestry were more recent immigrants, but 11,200 in total makes more sense than 200. If you can edit your original post to add this, you might want to do so.
It won't let me edit the original post, too much time has passed.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:13 AM

1 posts, read 874 times
How trustworthy and accurate are the results of the DNA tests in relation to ethnic origin? Two members of our families took the test. The results are very different. While we know who were our ancestors , the test does not show any connection to their ethnic groups in PR and Spain. However, instead the test shows for all the tests an "ethnic" link with the Jewish communities of North Africa.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:44 PM

25,154 posts, read 30,047,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikoi View Post
How trustworthy and accurate are the results of the DNA tests in relation to ethnic origin? Two members of our families took the test. The results are very different. While we know who were our ancestors , the test does not show any connection to their ethnic groups in PR and Spain. However, instead the test shows for all the tests an "ethnic" link with the Jewish communities of North Africa.
Spain Virtual Jewish History Tour

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...-rico/surnames
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or