U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 08:50 AM

9,264 posts, read 14,325,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikoi View Post
How trustworthy and accurate are the results of the DNA tests in relation to ethnic origin? Two members of our families took the test. The results are very different. While we know who were our ancestors , the test does not show any connection to their ethnic groups in PR and Spain. However, instead the test shows for all the tests an "ethnic" link with the Jewish communities of North Africa.
The ethnicity percentages are definitely only an estimate on a sub-continental level (at continental level, they are fairly accurate) and I wouldn't take them totally literally. It's normal for family members to have some variations in their ethnic reports, due both to the fact that it is an estimate, and no family member has the exact same DNA unless they are identical twins. However, that said, Jewish populations tend to be very genetically distinct so if you have significant amounts in a Jewish group, I would say it's probably accurate.

I don't know much about the ethnic background of Puerto Rico but I'm sure not everyone who is Puerto Rican has a Spanish background. There was a Jewish population there according to Wikipedia: "During the early 20th century Jews began to settle in Puerto Rico. The first large group of Jews to settle in Puerto Rico were European refugees fleeing German–occupied Europe in the 1930s and 1940s. The second influx of Jews to the island came in the 1950s, when thousands of Cuban Jews fled after Fidel Castro came to power.[31]"

I've never heard of results for Jewish of North Africa though. What company did you test with and what do the details say exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 10:06 AM

510 posts, read 701,415 times
From what I've learned about Puerto Rico's DNA traits, most will have a wide mix of European DNA, and some amount of African and Native American. The African comes from the slaves that were brought in, and the Native American comes from the Taino Indians. There may be a higher amount of " Iberian Peninsula" in the DNA percentages, but it's not going to be as high as most think. The port of San Juan was a stopping point for many ships that traveled to the Caribbean. Sailors from all over the world visited, and apparently left their mark.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:54 PM

510 posts, read 701,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikoi View Post
How trustworthy and accurate are the results of the DNA tests in relation to ethnic origin? Two members of our families took the test. The results are very different. While we know who were our ancestors , the test does not show any connection to their ethnic groups in PR and Spain. However, instead the test shows for all the tests an "ethnic" link with the Jewish communities of North Africa.
I don't know if this will help - my wife is half Puerto Rican. Her mothers parents were both from Puerto Rico. Her fathers parents were from Italy. Here are her results from Ancestry:

Europe South 52% Southern Italy
Iberian Peninsula 15%
Caucasus 8%
Native American 5%
Low Confidence Regions
European Jewish 4%
Finland/Northwest Russia 3%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 3%
Europe West 2%
Great Britain 2%
Africa North 2%
Benin/Togo 1%
Middle East < 1%
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers < 1%
Senegal < 1%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or