U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 02:15 PM

13,930 posts, read 8,342,490 times

Advertisements

My Grandma used to tell everyone we were related to Neil Armstrong, but she was wrong. I never told her, it would have upset her too much. Actually, stubborn as she was, she probably would have argued it with me. But there are Irish and Scottish Armstrongs and I can't remember which we are connected to and which he is, but they are not the same.

My maternal Grandfather is descended from and related to these folks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Kingston
There have been books written about the Earls of Kingston, and it tickled him in his old age to find this out and to be given these books, even if they aren't the most entertaining reading in the world.

And I am also related to the Pickerings, my Great-Great-Grandmother was one, and they built Pickering House and Pickering Wharf in Salem, Massachusetts. I mean to visit one day if I ever get around to it.
The Pickering House, 1660 | Salem, MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 PM

12,906 posts, read 11,141,565 times
Al Capone and George Harrison (IRA member, not the Beatle). That's all that I know of. I've never done an extensive family tree study or anything like that.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:58 PM

7,448 posts, read 4,941,051 times
My husband is distantly related to Dick Cheney.

That explains a lot about my husband.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:27 AM

17,294 posts, read 5,761,365 times
I am a descendant of Harriet Beecher Stowe, who wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin. Rumor has it that one of my ancestors, Peregrine Smith, was the son of Captain John Smith and Pocahontas. But of course this cannot be verified, and despite the legend there is no proof that Pocahontas and John Smith were ever lovers.

Another family legend is that we are descendants of an out-of-wedlock child of King William of Orange. That one sounds really far-fetched to me, but you never know.

Maybe 23 and Me can shed some light. I took a saliva sample last night and will mail it to them today; it should be interesting to see what they find out about my ancestry. If the Pocahontas story were true, I doubt if any Native American ancestry would be detectable since it would have been so many generations back.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:41 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,359,214 times
Also a direct descendant of Samuel Wardwell, one of the "witches" that was hanged at Salem (Andover, etc).

Old 10-24-2017, 01:49 AM

2,270 posts, read 1,058,731 times
My husband told me his mom, from Mississippi, was a cousin of Elvis Presley, so his mom told him once. She died when he was around 20 or so, I never met her. He never met any of her parents, her father died and mom remarried. Was some abuse and deaths in family so his mom only kept in touch with one aunt who didn't have anything to do with the family either. I suppose I could research it someday. My husband doesn't really care nor does he bring it up, thinks it would be not believed anyway and doesn't care.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 10-24-2017 at 01:58 AM..

Old 10-30-2017, 05:57 PM

19,806 posts, read 5,415,421 times
1. The Ferragamo Shoe and Fashion Empire (very close - but I don't get any $$$).....
2. A VERY famous line of religious leaders....the details are being worked out as we speak, but the DNA markers, locations and other parts are all lining up.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:37 PM

19,566 posts, read 4,910,009 times
I am distantly related to the Bushes,Brad Pitt,Elizabeth Smart,Wernher Von Braun, Dr.H.H.Holmes, former Arkansas Quarterback Tyler Wilson,Alexander Campbell of church of Christ fame,Joseph Smith of Mormon fame,european Royalty and nobility,Lee Harvey Oswald,John Hinkley,Mark David Chapman,Chester Arthur,George Washington,Robert E. Lee, Douglas MacArthur,General Patton,Vlad Tepes,Elizabeth Bathory and a bunch of the Salem witch trials people and other famous people from my family research.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:19 AM

311 posts, read 341,469 times
ok I have been doing my family tree for years now and one branch I have back 22 generations to Sir Ralph Fitz-Robert Lord Greystoke of Castle Greystoke. Some knights and found out my great grandma from my mom's side was a real badazz! she had an abusive husband I Hungary and left him. She took my 8 yr old grandmother and hopped on a boat and came to America even though she couldn't speak any English.
I relocate often with my profession and any time I get nervous about it I think of her and if she had the, lack of better words, balls to leave her country, to take a chance at a better life then by God I can surely move around myself! That has to be one of the proudest moments of doing my research.

A "whoops its out" moment is when I inadvertently proved my Aunt moved to Canada and married her uncle....I'll just go ahead and leave that one alone..lol

I do seem to have hit a brick wall with my great grandmother on my dad's side. My great grandparents apparently got a divorce after 20+ years of marriage but all I have is her name, I cannot find anything on her parents at all. I have tried everything I know to know avail.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:12 PM

3,965 posts, read 3,460,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBC View Post

I do seem to have hit a brick wall with my great grandmother on my dad's side. My great grandparents apparently got a divorce after 20+ years of marriage but all I have is her name, I cannot find anything on her parents at all. I have tried everything I know to know avail.
Her name could have been an alias. I have a branch of family who did that.

I spent 20 years trying to find my great great grandmother. I couldn't because I only knew her name of endearment which I thought was her last name. Turns out her and my great grandfather had the same last name and were brother and sister. My great grandfather married his sister's daughter. Yep my great grandparents were uncle and niece. I laughed myself silly on that one. I think it's possible they were actually first cousins and my great grandfather was an illegitimate grandchild passed off as a child since his mother was 47 when he was born. I don't think I could ever prove it even with dna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or