Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 06:08 PM

23 posts, read 20,488 times

Advertisements

Whether that be whoever

My great great great grandmother was married to the person who discovered Kenya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 09:23 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,025,207 times
Distant cousins of:

Franklin D. Roosevelt. Father Ryan aka. Abram Joseph Ryan; the "Poet Laureate of the Confederacy." & namesake of Father Ryan High School in TN. Also, third (or 2nd?) cousin to actress Madeleine Stowe.

Immediately related to a few who were "known for":

Great X 3 Grandfather & his brother (Garbarino) were 1st Italian settlers in Colorado. Great X 3 Uncle (Seeberger) invented the Escalator.

Another Great X 3 Grandfather (Tobin) is the namesake for a historic marker in Nebraska for "The Tobin Massacre" when his railroad crew was ambushed & murdered by Cherokee Indians.

Great X 2 Grandmother (Lamplugh-Tobin) was a key witness testifying for the defendant, Mrs. Cody, in Buffalo Bill Cody's divorce proceedings. This was when you had to prove grounds for divorce (Wyoming) & Buffalo Bill's "grounds" were that his wife was trying to poison him. My Great X 2 Grandma was Mrs. Cody's best friend & financial investor for The Wild West Show. The truth?... Buffalo Bill was an alcoholic & the two women once emptied his flask & replaced the contents with Holy Water from the local Catholic church. The case was dismissed.

My uncle, (Miles) is credited with the discovery of two mathematical theorems of convex functions. My late aunt (Douvas), holds 14 patents for the development of the HIV vaccine. Her husband (Sadava) is the Pritzker Family Foundation Professor of Biology & another uncle (Miles) is the photographer of fame for the Beat Generation's Allen Ginsburg, JonBenet infamy & Janis Joplin album covers.

And I'm ... just a nobody!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:08 PM

15,995 posts, read 10,559,374 times
Cousins of some sort:
The Roosevelts, Teddy and Eleanor but not Franklin....
George W. Bush, through his mom....
Johan (Jan) and Cornelius De Witt -- brothers who were hanged and partially eaten (?) by a street mob in The Hague in 1672. Johan/Jan was the Grand Pensionaire of Holland, the head of the government, and his assasination was probably ordered by William of Orange, later king of England. This episode is recorded in Alexander Dumas' book The Black Tulip....
Lucille Ball....
Winston Churchill....

Old 09-29-2017, 11:37 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,147,504 times
Not that I know of. A 2nd cousin and a brother-in-law both authored a few books, but both wrote non-fiction, technical books so no fame there. A niece who is struggling to become famous as a musician, but I doubt she's going to make it to the famous point. Maybe a grandchild will make it there before I croak.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:44 PM

4,964 posts, read 5,219,246 times
I have a very distantly related cousin who was a Playboy Centerfold and an actress in several shows in the early 80's. She was beautiful, but not a household name.

Another distant cousin was a deputy under Judge Isaac Parker. He is famous for shooting an outlaw.

Booneville, Kentucky was originally named "Moore's Station" after my ggggg grandfather, James Moore.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:14 PM

452 posts, read 1,317,998 times
I am Taiwanese-American (born and grew up in the US, but both of my parents are from Taiwan). My surname is Chen which is the most numerous surname among Taiwanese people. I know on my father’s side of the family, our family has been in Taiwan for 8-9 generations. We actually have something called an “ancestry tablet” which list the names of all my Chen ancestors in Taiwan from the first one in Taiwan to my grandfather. My first Chen ancestor 陳季添 (Chen Ji-Tian) was the first Chen ancestor on my father's side to move to Taiwan from Zhangzhou, Fujian and he was a 武舉人 (wu ju ren) or a militiary provincial scholar/official during the Qing Dynasty (during the late 1700's and early 1800's). He would be my 5x great grandfather. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperi...y_examinations
So, not necessarily famous, but I would say prominent ancestor.

On my Family Tree DNA relatives list they listed as a distant cousin Li-An Previn, she is the adopted daughter of Andre Previn, a German-American composer, pianist, conductor. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Previn and see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André...#Personal_life I know she may no be famous, but I would guess somewhat a prominent distant relative- based on being an adoptive daughter of somebody somewhat prominent.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:42 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,749,036 times
Just wanted to note that Kenya is the home of Lucy, one of the oldest hominids ever unearthed so the country couldn't possibly be "discovered." More like colonized. Sorry but it's always seemed to weird to me when someone claims to "discover" a place where people already live and have lived for tens of thousands of years.

I have some connections to famous people but not blood related that I have found. One my my 4th great uncles married a sister of Mary Ann Shadd Cary, who was the first black woman lawyer in America, she later immigrated to Canada in the mid 1800s and then was a recruiter for the US Colored troops. She also was the first female publisher of a newspaper in N. America as she published a paper in Canada after moving there. Her father - Abraham Doras Shadd was an administrator of the underground rail road in DE, PA, and later in Canada as he moved there as well.

Some of my distant paternal relatives from Henry County, VA I've discovered were related by marriage to Michelle Obama's Henry County, VA ancestors.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:23 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,370,675 times
No. My wife is descended from the Vikings Rollo/Rurik via two gateway ancestors. Which makes her related to royalty and some very famous people. My cousin is married to a descendant of Jim Vance. She has boxes of photos and documents related to the Hatfield family.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:26 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,145,517 times
Related to John Paul Jones waaaaay back when.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:37 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,395,353 times
My cousin's an astronaut (went up to the International Space Station twice).. does that count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy