Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 03:49 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
True though ideally they would either build out famous peoples ancestry in a more verified way, or at least curate it to some extent (kind of like the famouskin website). Then they can just match ancestors in your tree to theirs. That's what I was hoping.
If Ancestry did the research themselves, they've probably have to charge for the app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 05:18 AM

416 posts, read 587,944 times
Here's some good reading from when the app first came out: The Legal Genealogist. The comments are insightful too.

I did it when it first came out and I knew what they sent my way was crap, so I deleted it. As with Ancestry's trees, their assertions can be dubious and sometimes way the heck out there. I work too hard to prove generation to generation with my own stuff to buy off of bad grafts on trees. Hard pass.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Whooo-hoooo I just got President Millard Fillmore!!!

Washington Schmashington!

Old 10-21-2017, 05:37 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times
Stephanie Meyer is my 10th cousin through Hans Jacob Bart (1609-1672)

Aaron Eckhart is my 10th cousin through Hans Philip Eitel (1645-1693)

Old 01-06-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Looks like it just needed some time to search. I now have a short list.

Stephen Amell - 8th cousins 2x removed, we apparently share the ancestor Jacob Gottschalk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_C._Gottschalk - I am definitely descended from Jacob Gottschalk but whether Stephen Amell is, I couldn't say. On a side note, I kind of hope I'm not related to Stephen Amell because that would mean I'm attracted to my cousin (good God, that man is sexy).
Well, I did the research on Amell's side and confirmed he is indeed descended from Jacob Gottschalk, making us 8th cousins 2x removed. It also made me realize he is first cousins with Robbie Amell, another actor in DC Comics universe and therefore also my 8th cousin 2x removed.

I'm not sure how many others I can confirm since most of them are linking us to ancestors from further back than I've been able to research so those would be hard to confirm or deny. There was only one or two that had ancestors I'm confident are in my tree and therefore I'd only have to research the celebrity's side of it to confirm or deny like I did here.

I can't be the only one who has done the actual research to confirm or deny some of these connections?

Old 01-06-2018, 03:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
I did it when it first came out and I knew what they sent my way was crap, so I deleted it. As with Ancestry's trees, their assertions can be dubious and sometimes way the heck out there.
That's that true. I find them to be highly inaccurate.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:36 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, I did the research on Amell's side and confirmed he is indeed descended from Jacob Gottschalk, making us 8th cousins 2x removed. It also made me realize he is first cousins with Robbie Amell, another actor in DC Comics universe and therefore also my 8th cousin 2x removed.

I'm not sure how many others I can confirm since most of them are linking us to ancestors from further back than I've been able to research so those would be hard to confirm or deny. There was only one or two that had ancestors I'm confident are in my tree and therefore I'd only have to research the celebrity's side of it to confirm or deny like I did here.

I can't be the only one who has done the actual research to confirm or deny some of these connections?
I wish it found relatives for me. Apparently it doesn't know anyone famous in Hungary. I uninstalled it.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:07 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Why do i need a phone app for that, i got enough crap on my phones as is

Old 01-06-2018, 09:16 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Would this app work with other ancestry companies like my heritage or 23 and me?

That's really cool about being related to Janis Joplin.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Would this app work with other ancestry companies like my heritage or 23 and me?

That's really cool about being related to Janis Joplin.
You don't need an Ancestry.com account to use it, as far as I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy