U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 04:20 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,638,979 times

Advertisements

I just learned about this today. It's not on the actual Ancestry website, or on the regular Ancestry smartphone app. It's a separate free phone app called "We're Related."

John McCain is my 7th cousin, 4 times removed

Harry Reid is my 8th cousin, 2 times removed

John Brown was my 4th cousin, 6 times removed

Janis Joplin was my 9th cousin, once removed

Julia Child was my 8th cousin, 2 times removed

This is all on my mother's side, and they're all descended from a colonial Connecticut line I have. So far nothing on my Dad's side.

Who did you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 05:23 PM

939 posts, read 3,132,163 times
I downloaded the app a few months ago and so far they've come up with the following:

Jessica Simpson - 9th cousin
Newt Gingrich - 7th cousin, 1x removed
Marilyn Monroe - 8th cousin 2x removed
Stephen Amell - 9th cousin
Kayne West - 8th cousin 1x removed
Thomas Paine - 1st cousin 10x removed
Winston Churchhill - 8th cousin 1x removed
Brad Pitt - 9th cousin
Elvis Presley - 7th cousin 1x removed
Kevin Bacon - 8th cousin
Willie Nelson - 9th cousin
John Kerry - 8th cousin 2x removed
George Washington - 4th cousin 8x removed
Ron Howard - 8th cousin 1x removed
Stephen King (the author) - 8th cousin 2x removed
Warren Buffett - 8th cousin 1x removed
Meryl Streep - 8th cousin 2x removed
James Dean - 8th cousin
Katharine Hepburn - 7th cousin 1x removed
Reese Witherspoon - 8th cousin
Michael Moore - 8th cousin 1x removed
Lyndon Johnson - 9th cousin
John Adams - 3rd cousin 7x removed
Richard Nixon - 7th cousin 1x removed
Ben Franklin - 3rd cousin 10x removed
John McCain - 8th cousin 2x removed
Kenny Rogers - 9th cousin
Matt Lauer - 9th cousin
George Lucas - 9th cousin
Marlon Brando - 7th cousin 2x removed
Calvin Coolidge - 8th cousin 1x removed
Hugh Hefner - 8th cousin 1x removed
Betty White - 7th cousin 3x removed

I haven't researched any of these so I can't confirm accuracy.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:25 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,638,979 times
Wow! That beats my little dinky list!

Old 10-09-2017, 05:39 PM

939 posts, read 3,132,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
Wow! That beats my little dinky list!
It'll get longer over time. Check back with the app every few days.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:53 PM

9,256 posts, read 14,314,355 times
I downloaded the app a while ago but never used it because it wants me to log in with Facebook which I don't want to do. There is an option to create a new account, but I couldn't understand why I can't login with my Ancestry account (since the app is created by Ancestry.com) so it can make use of my tree. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and use Facebook.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:53 PM

877 posts, read 893,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I downloaded the app a while ago but never used it because it wants me to log in with Facebook which I don't want to do. There is an option to create a new account, but I couldn't understand why I can't login with my Ancestry account (since the app is created by Ancestry.com) so it can make use of my tree. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and use Facebook.
Logging with facebook it then figured out my ancestry account based on the same e-mail... though for some reason it shows up with no relatives so far in my list, despite the fact I have some famous ones in my tree itself like Thomas Jefferson and Sam Houston... guess either it just needs to take a while longer (I have a very large tree) or it doesn't like something in my tree.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:17 PM

36,769 posts, read 11,498,669 times
P.T. Barnum was right.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:48 AM

9,256 posts, read 14,314,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Logging with facebook it then figured out my ancestry account based on the same e-mail... though for some reason it shows up with no relatives so far in my list, despite the fact I have some famous ones in my tree itself like Thomas Jefferson and Sam Houston... guess either it just needs to take a while longer (I have a very large tree) or it doesn't like something in my tree.
Yeah, I gave it a go, I don't understand why I needed to log in with Facebook though. If you're going to find my Ancestry account anyway, why not just let me log in with my Ancestry account? In any case, waste of time, because it found no one for me anyway. I know for sure that I'm related to the lead guy from Breaking Benjamin - he's my 6th cousin 1x removed.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:29 AM

12,631 posts, read 22,576,541 times
Dislike the FB connect. Reviews aren't great. I installed it; will see if it finds anyone. As far as I know I'm not related by blood to anyone famous; by marriage there's a soccer player named Goose and a baseball player Chuck Diering.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:10 PM

877 posts, read 893,457 times
So I'm seeing very odd behavior. So after linking to my 7,000+ person tree I got no one. I added my wife's account and linked her and all of a sudden 4-5 matches show up for my tree. I set the home person in her tree from her to me (I'm in her tree but no ancestors there so this basically nullifies that) and it changes the results for me. I then remove her tree completely and it keeps 4-5 results but changes them yet again lol.

It might b confused with me tree, maybe too many people in it, maybe specific entries... Looks like I'm running into some sort of bug in the system.

I will say that with the matches I was seeing it's adding ancestors onto where my tree dead ends, so it's cross linking other trees to make some of these questions and some of those additional generations are questionable.

Note a bad idea but like any new thing needs a bit more work.

https://famouskin.com/

Famous Kin is a website that does something similar but for showing how famous people relate to other famous people. If you find an ancestor from one of those famous people that you have you can use that to find your relations... for example Stephen Bachiler is an ancestor of mine and I can see all the people who relate to him (and subsequently me)

https://famouskin.com/famous-kin-men...ephen+bachiler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or