U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 04:07 AM

2,647 posts, read 3,099,147 times

Advertisements

Putting the reminders out there are good. I'm glad to find a new thread about this genealogy TV show on PBS. Unfortunately I missed most of episode 1 with Larry David and Bernie Sanders (I caught the last 20 minutes of it). I plan to watch it later in its entirety.

I saw S4E2 with Fred Armisen, Christopher Walken and Carly Simon. All of them had very interesting family stories overall. I did not really know who Fred Armisen was before watching but his particular genealogy finds of his grandfather who was the supposed famous Japanese dancer was the highlight for me. I look forward to watching the rest of the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:53 AM

21,490 posts, read 20,489,046 times
Talk about not knowing who you are, lol. Carly Simon learned that she was about 10% black and Fred Armisen found out that his Japanese grandfather was not from Japan at all. He was Korean. The DNA part can add quite a bit of interest!

Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 AM

3,493 posts, read 5,153,249 times
I thought it was interesting that Walken and Armisen had family ties to Nazi Germany. I can't remember previous episodes where this was made apparent. But they focused on Armisen's Korean-Japanese grandfather and not the German grandmother. When Walken was told that his uncles who stayed behind in Germany became Nazi officers of some kind, he said something like, "You're telling me something I always suspected." I wonder if his own father who immigrated to the US was also a Nazi sympathiser?

Old 10-12-2017, 12:41 PM

877 posts, read 894,502 times
A very interesting episode... A big fan of Fred Armisen (and Christopher Walken too, not that big of a fan of Carly Simon but found her parts interesting too). Never knew Fred was quarter East Asian and his grandfather's whole history was quite interesting.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 AM

4,788 posts, read 5,072,773 times
I love this program. It's so interesting.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:18 AM

16,222 posts, read 8,521,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
Didn't you ever watch Driving Miss Daisy?

Half the movie is about Hoke (Morgan Freeman) driving Miss Daisy (Jessica Tandy) who is an old Jewish lady to Uncle Walter's party in Mobile.
It reminded me of that movie too!

There were Jewish communities in many southern cities. The movie took place in Atlanta which also had a Jewish community. I used to drive down the street that the move was filmed on every day to work BTW. It is Ponce de Leon Ave in Atlanta that goes to Dekalb County.

That episode was so sad though in regards to their families' stories. Larry David was a hoot as always though to me!

Old 10-16-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
A very interesting episode... A big fan of Fred Armisen (and Christopher Walken too, not that big of a fan of Carly Simon but found her parts interesting too). Never knew Fred was quarter East Asian and his grandfather's whole history was quite interesting.
His grandfather's story was just amazing to me!

And Carly Simon's story of her grandmother in particular, made me consider researching one of my own relatives to see if a great aunt was the daughter or granddaughter of my 4th great grandmother. I have a woman who is a 4th great aunt in my tree and I always thought it odd that my 4th great grandmother would have given birth to her at age 53. I thought it very unlikely but not impossible as I know someone who gave birth at 53 and someone who got pregnant at 55!

But I had another 4th great aunt who never married and who was 17 years older than this younger sister and it has me thinking that she may have been the mother of this sister. So I've gone back to digging in this family because of that episode. I've never found a birth register record or a death record of the younger 4th great aunt. I have communicated with some of her descendants and they believe she left the family to "pass" for white. She also left her children who were raised by the 4th great aunt who I believe may have been her mother.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:58 AM

33,677 posts, read 34,552,592 times
I am watching it via the PBS app and I think it is a great series. The first 2 episodes of this season didn't disappoint!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:00 AM

I thought Mary Steenburgen's ancestor was a hoot last night!! That was my favorite of this episode.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:20 AM

877 posts, read 894,502 times
Still watching it now (recorded it), I like how he really was presenting Ted Danson's ancestor as a positive for allowing his slave to earn money and purchase his freedom and his families. Ted had a hard time with that at first, though Henry really drove home how rare that was and showed a good side to him. A lot of people that are uncomfortable with him approaching the topic of race and slavery when ti comes up and hammer Gates for some reason for it... I think this really shows (as does the other scenarios if you step back) how objective Gates really is and that he's a straight shooter. He's talked about how complex these scenarios were on many episodes in the past, including slave owners who seemingly had some sort of positive relationship with their slave, at least on some level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy