U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:14 AM

3,483 posts, read 5,139,862 times

Advertisements

Because you made this statement which is false:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Saying they're not necessarily a match on your mother's side is a little misleading because it would lead most people to believe it means they could be a match on their father's side, which for men, is not possible.
This statement is misleading people to believe that the X-match ("they") cannot be related on the father's side. The X-DNA cannot come from a male's father, but usually it is noise on the X chromosome that causes FTDNA to label a match as an "X-match" when in fact they can just as well be related on the father's side through autosomal DNA because in most cases the shared X segment is noise.

Bottom line to the original question: DO NOT go by "X-Matches" in Family Finder (if you are male) to determine whether someone is a maternal relative. Most people think this is an easy way to find maternal relatives but they are wrong. Forget about "X-Matches" in Family Finder (FTDNA). In 99% of cases, the shared X-DNA with those matches is noise and not indicative of an actual relationship through the mother. If you find a segment of X-DNA over about 15 cM then it is more likely to be a real segment inherited from your mother. None of this suggests in any way that you could have inherited the X-DNA from your father which you cannot if you are male. It will be the autosomal DNA which determines the relationship.

23andMe is more responsible with its X matching. They use a higher threshold and will even count someone as a match who shares only X DNA with you (a significant amount) and no autosomal DNA. I was able to discover a relationship with one of these matches on both of our maternal sides following the X pattern of inheritance going back to an ancestor born in 1673.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 09:15 AM

9,255 posts, read 14,298,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Because you made this statement which is false:

This statement is misleading people to believe that the X-match ("they") cannot be related on the father's side. The X-DNA cannot come from a male's father, but usually it is noise on the X chromosome that causes FTDNA to label a match as an "X-match" when in fact they can just as well be related on the father's side through autosomal DNA because in most cases the shared X segment is noise.

Bottom line to the original question: DO NOT go by "X-Matches" in Family Finder (if you are male) to determine whether someone is a maternal relative. Most people think this is an easy way to find maternal relatives but they are wrong. Forget about "X-Matches" in Family Finder (FTDNA). In 99% of cases, the shared X-DNA with those matches is noise and not indicative of an actual relationship through the mother. If you find a segment of X-DNA over about 15 cM then it is more likely to be a real segment inherited from your mother. None of this suggests in any way that you could have inherited the X-DNA from your father which you cannot if you are male. It will be the autosomal DNA which determines the relationship.

23andMe is more responsible with its X matching. They use a higher threshold and will even count someone as a match who shares only X DNA with you (a significant amount) and no autosomal DNA. I was able to discover a relationship with one of these matches on both of our maternal sides following the X pattern of inheritance going back to an ancestor born in 1673.
This has gone far beyond what the OP asked for or probably even understands. Serious, stop being so pedantic.

I'll say again: Shared DNA on the X chromosome CANNOT come from a male's father. The end.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:22 AM

10,077 posts, read 5,195,006 times
Quote:
This has gone far beyond what the OP asked for or probably even understands. Serious, stop being so pedantic.

I'll say again: Shared DNA on the X chromosome CANNOT come from a male's father. The end.
some men are xxy, stop talking like things are absolutes

they could test mitochonrial dna if they want to trace the mother's lineage

Old 10-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
some men are xxy, stop talking like things are absolutes
That's a chromosomal disorder effecting approximately 0.1-0.2% of the male population, and we're not talking about rare chromosomal disorders. I think someone would know if they had Klinefelter syndrome and had to take that into consideration when comparing X-matches. That's NOT what the OP is asking about, stop derailing the topic.

Quote:
they could test mitochonrial dna if they want to trace the mother's lineage
That only includes their direct maternal line, not their entire maternal side. Furthermore, it tends not to be particularly useful for recent genealogy.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:06 PM

3,483 posts, read 5,139,862 times
Quote:

I never said that. Stop putting words in my mouth.

And I actually think you don't understand how it works. So stop misleading people.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I never said that. Stop putting words in my mouth.
I didn't say you did - I said your words were "a little misleading", not incorrect.

Quote:
And I actually think you don't understand how it works. So stop misleading people.
Then you're obviously not reading what I've said.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:47 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,717,925 times
Quote:
I didn't say you did - I said your words were "a little misleading", not incorrect.

Then you're obviously not reading what I've said.
Since you seem to have a very good grasp of DNA results, just one question... should I ignore X-Matches at FTDNA? When it comes to research or photography I am very, very good, but I have really been struggling with DNA and matches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or