U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:34 AM

33,581 posts, read 34,467,092 times

Advertisements

Old letters, photos and documents can open insights to the past and one's genealogy for those that are interested in it. I have some of those old letters, photos and documents and it helped me understand relationships between my parents and even my grandparents on one side of my family.

I also was able to reconnect with a friend who had been to my 5th birthday party as I found her name mentioned in an old letter and then found her via Facebook as she smartly listed her maiden name as well as her married name. It turns out that she lives right near my brother (on the other side of country) and we had a happy reunion earlier this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 06:53 AM

16,206 posts, read 8,489,355 times
That's so great that you have such a treasure trove of family information to cherish now!

I did know some of my great grandparents - I knew 4 of them - both a maternal and paternal side. The others died before my parents were born.

I also knew a 2nd great grandmother who died when I was a teenager. I always tell people a benefit of being born to a teenage mother is that I was born at a time to develop a very good relationship with my grandparents and great grandparents. I also knew all of my living great and great great aunts/uncles.

I was given my maternal great grandmother's pictures, but I don't believe everything was included. One of my great aunts has some of her things packed away in the basement and she is always dissuading me from going down there and looking for things (I think she is embarrassed at the mess down there). But I'm going to be more insistent this holiday season because honestly when she dies, I don't trust her children/grandchildren with them and my great grandmother did specify in her will/estate documents that I was to get all family pictures. Unfortunately she didn't label (so I get upset at her in her grave lol). I have a lot of pictures of people I don't know who they are. Some I've been able to figure out because they were postcard pics and had some messages/info written on them.

My paternal great grandmother also left me a lot of pictures and specified as such. An aunt of mine again though went after she died and took everything out of her house and she also has forgotten where they are. She is not as stubborn as great aunt and so I've searched her house and found some of them. I really want those pics because that great grandmother labeled every picture and even included genealogical information on the back of pictures with short family trees. My aunt also almost threw out a box of pictures of "white people." Our grandmother was "tri-racial" and she was the blackest looking person in the family and my aunt thought that one box of pictures in particular had too many white people to have been our family but I convinced her they were lol. I have some newly found "white" second cousins who have no pictures of the family due one to a dispute and another due to their grandfather "passing" for white and never having any intimate connection with the family after that so I'd like to take some digital photos of those pics to share with the extended family.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:01 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,091,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
That's so great that you have such a treasure trove of family information to cherish now!

I did know some of my great grandparents - I knew 4 of them - both a maternal and paternal side. The others died before my parents were born.

I also knew a 2nd great grandmother who died when I was a teenager. I always tell people a benefit of being born to a teenage mother is that I was born at a time to develop a very good relationship with my grandparents and great grandparents. I also knew all of my living great and great great aunts/uncles.

I was given my maternal great grandmother's pictures, but I don't believe everything was included. One of my great aunts has some of her things packed away in the basement and she is always dissuading me from going down there and looking for things (I think she is embarrassed at the mess down there). But I'm going to be more insistent this holiday season because honestly when she dies, I don't trust her children/grandchildren with them and my great grandmother did specify in her will/estate documents that I was to get all family pictures. Unfortunately she didn't label (so I get upset at her in her grave lol). I have a lot of pictures of people I don't know who they are. Some I've been able to figure out because they were postcard pics and had some messages/info written on them.

My paternal great grandmother also left me a lot of pictures and specified as such. An aunt of mine again though went after she died and took everything out of her house and she also has forgotten where they are. She is not as stubborn as great aunt and so I've searched her house and found some of them. I really want those pics because that great grandmother labeled every picture and even included genealogical information on the back of pictures with short family trees. My aunt also almost threw out a box of pictures of "white people." Our grandmother was "tri-racial" and she was the blackest looking person in the family and my aunt thought that one box of pictures in particular had too many white people to have been our family but I convinced her they were lol. I have some newly found "white" second cousins who have no pictures of the family due one to a dispute and another due to their grandfather "passing" for white and never having any intimate connection with the family after that so I'd like to take some digital photos of those pics to share with the extended family.
Knowing that many great-grandparents is amazing. All mine were dead before I was born and I only knew one grandparent. And having things saved, how wonderful.

Hopefully you can find that treasure from your great Aunt soon.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:59 PM

8,137 posts, read 4,441,761 times
I know the names and basic facts of all great-grands but only have strong memories of my maternal grandmother who died before I reached 5 years old. We lived in her house so I remember her fairly well. My paternal grandmother died when I was about two...no memories. My paternal grandfather lived until I was about four but I only have a few images in my memory. He always sat in the corner in a throne-like chair with people sitting around him like he was holding court...a patriarch of sorts. As I learn more about him he seems like a difficult person. He stuck my older brother's head in a spittoon so kids were afraid of him...stayed out of reach.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:46 AM

16,206 posts, read 8,489,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Knowing that many great-grandparents is amazing. All mine were dead before I was born and I only knew one grandparent. And having things saved, how wonderful.

Hopefully you can find that treasure from your great Aunt soon.
I think I'm bugging her about stuff and I'm getting on her nerves about the pictures. But honestly, I do think I am missing an album.

Unfortunately, I lived out of state when both of my great grandmothers died and took a day or two to get in town. When the paternal one died about 10 years ago, I was pregnant so had to take a bus (HORRIBLE trip at 8.5 months pregnant and I got in trouble with my OB as I had some issues due to the trip when I came back home). By the time I got there my aunt, who also lives out of town took all 4 boxes of her pictures and since I couldn't take them home on the bus, I asked her to keep them for me until I came back as she is the most trustworthy but then she moved them all around her house and we still can't find a couple boxes of them. I'm hoping they were not thrown out or destroyed.

I also had a step great grandmother on my paternal side who I review her family tree as well. I never knew she was a "step" until I was in my 20s and started researching the paternal side more thoroughly. So I had a lot of elders in my life. They were my babysitters. It was interesting to me because my great and great great aunts/uncles IMO were the more interesting than the great grandparents and grandparents. They were characters and luckily due to me being babysat by my maternal great grandmother in particular, I got to know all her brothers and sisters who were still living. They had a lot of interesting banter and arguments and one of my great great uncles used to like to tease grandma like he was still an annoying little brother so it was funny to watch them interact. I miss them a lot. My last great great uncle died in 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or