Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:21 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,683 times

Advertisements

Anyone who has been doing genealogy research know there are many ways to spell a name. This site came to me via Genealogy search tip of the day: https://namethesaurus.com/Search.aspx . It lists diffferent spelling variations for first and last names. Hopefully, this site will come in handy for someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 01:22 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Thank you for posting that link. It's more thorough than a reference I had been using.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:28 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Good source - but it omits what a mid-19th century census taker did to my g-g-aunt Arabelle:

He listed her as "Arrow Bell".

What a ding-a-ling. The census taker, not my g-g-aunt!

Old 10-28-2017, 11:18 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
What's just as bad is those who translate the documents for ancestry or family search. I have records saying an ancestor of my husband's came in several times via ship from Liverpool England when it was Liverpool, Nova Scotia. I will bet that a lot of the records for ships going in and out of Nova Scotia were transcribed incorrectly as England.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:38 AM

993 posts, read 2,291,683 times
Maus, glad you found it helpful. It's amazing how many spelling variations there are for a name!

Criag Creek- now that's one spelling variation I'd never thought of! LOL

Old 10-28-2017, 11:49 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Good source - but it omits what a mid-19th century census taker did to my g-g-aunt Arabelle:

He listed her as "Arrow Bell".

What a ding-a-ling. The census taker, not my g-g-aunt!
Oh, that is horrible! Poor Arabelle, lol. And poor you!

Old 10-29-2017, 01:17 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Took me a long time to find Queenie Elizabeth (Surname) in the English census. Eventually had to trawl through all the census records for people with her fairly common surname in her town. There she was - transcribed as Lorcense Ely Abeth!

Old 10-29-2017, 12:52 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Took me a long time to find Queenie Elizabeth (Surname) in the English census. Eventually had to trawl through all the census records for people with her fairly common surname in her town. There she was - transcribed as Lorcense Ely Abeth!
Sometimes it could be due to a misunderstanding of local dialect. I haven't found any weird surname misspellings but I did go on a wild goose chase one time looking for family in Sheffield, England. Thank goodness that was back in the days before Ancestry and all I had was an online message board from that part of the UK. Someone over there looked into it and told me my family actually came from a village called Shelf.

When the family was interviewed for the census, they were living miles and miles from Shelf so the enumerator, who obviously had never heard of their little village and who probably wasn't familiar with their local dialect, did the best he could.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:14 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,799 times
There's a site I use. I don't know about the advertising on these forums, rules etc. Maybe I should look them up. Haha. Go to house of names dot com. They have family crests, surname history, origins, and other spellings. Dig a little deeper too. I did. Take my last name. Hanks. Originating from Saxon, Lincolnshire, England. But there's other spellings. I began looking into the spellings and discovered that Anke, a Hanks origin, came from Flemish and Norse origins.

I have yet to do the DNA thing. Price is holding me back.

I did do a DNA test some years back to confirm a man as my biological father. Discovered I'm 1/4 Native American, from the Chitimacha Tribe of Louisiana. And I'm quite proud of my heritage!

Old 11-02-2017, 06:08 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddhanks View Post
There's a site I use. I don't know about the advertising on these forums, rules etc. Maybe I should look them up. Haha. Go to house of names dot com. They have family crests, surname history, origins, and other spellings. Dig a little deeper too. I did. Take my last name. Hanks. Originating from Saxon, Lincolnshire, England. But there's other spellings. I began looking into the spellings and discovered that Anke, a Hanks origin, came from Flemish and Norse origins.

I have yet to do the DNA thing. Price is holding me back.

I did do a DNA test some years back to confirm a man as my biological father. Discovered I'm 1/4 Native American, from the Chitimacha Tribe of Louisiana. And I'm quite proud of my heritage!
Where did you do the paternity test? Do you have a copy of the file on your computer? If so you may be able to upload it to one of the free sites. My Heritage gives free family matching, ethnicity and surnames when available. GEDmatch gives free family matching and has a bunch of ethnicity tools. Family Tree DNA gives free family matching. See the post Family tree and DNA general instructions

Right now is the time to start thinking of testing. One member just posted in the Geneology & DNA Sites - Free Dates & Specials Thread that 23 and me is doing 2 tests for the price of one. Ancestry will also be going on sale with Black Friday coming up. FTDNA is $69. All of the links are in the 1st thread I linked to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy