Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:43 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Volosong, do you have any Native American? I have Iberian as well, and AncestryDNA now shows my Iberian is via Mexico (where my Native American is also from {West-Central Mexico})...
"Aguilar"? I would think you have a lot of Hispanic roots in there. For me, not a drop of indigenous blood. My guess is that the Iberian came from one of the Celtic immigration waves from way back.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 12:37 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
Is Iberian DNA common in English and German people? I read the Iberian people were from the Germanic tribes.
There is a lot of Iberian (specifically Basque) DNA in a lot of Irish people, and a lot of Irish DNA in a lot of Basque people. I'm not sure why this is the case (many theories) but there is a definite connection.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:01 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
"Aguilar"? I would think you have a lot of Hispanic roots in there. For me, not a drop of indigenous blood. My guess is that the Iberian came from one of the Celtic immigration waves from way back.
Wow, that would likely be it then.

As for me, not nearly as much as one would think:

Old 11-01-2017, 02:12 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times
Great Britain is Wales, Scotland and England???

Old 11-01-2017, 02:16 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Great Britain is Wales, Scotland and England???
This is how they see it:

Previously, they simply called Ireland/Scotland/Wales just "Ireland".

Old 11-01-2017, 02:47 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
This is how they see it:

Previously, they simply called Ireland/Scotland/Wales just "Ireland".

Yes, they recently changed the title to better reflect the primary areas it covers, but it has always been primarily found in Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. If you click on a category, then click on "continue reading" (under Overview) then finally click "Read more" it will list all the areas (not just primary ones) it covers. They keep making that information harder and harder to find.

Ireland/Scotland/Wales
Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland
Also found in: France, England

Great Britain
Primarily located in: England, Scotland, Wales
Also found in: Ireland, France, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Italy

Old 11-01-2017, 02:51 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times
Thanks for that graph, that's a new one. Mind you, that still covers Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Shropshire, Cheshire, West Midlands, Staffordshire, Worcestershire, parts of Lincolnshire, West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, North Yorkshire, Lancashire, Northumberland, Elmet, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire ( part), and Cumberland... In England.
First, shows Celtic influence, the second Celtic-Anglo influence, I guess. England does have 70% Celt gene

Old 11-01-2017, 06:18 PM

74 posts, read 128,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Except each test I've taken says something different, for example 23andMe says 2% Scandinavian. If you took the 23andMe test it might come up with zero Iberian. So I wouldn't get too excited about it.

The usual first reaction people have when they take their first test and see something unexpected is to try to explain how that "exotic DNA" got into their family tree. But for those of us who have seen lots of different results and conflicting results for the same individuals tested at different companies there is only one conclusion: these tests do not always accurately differentiate between different European populations. This is a very new science and as such there is a very large margin for error.
I tried the myfamilytree DNA and it says I'm 78% British and 19% southeast European. I think GED match was in agreement with ancestry DNA results. My family history seems to be in line with both ged match and ancestry.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:30 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
Apparently they get Italian mixed up with Iberian on ancestry. Ancestry says I have Iberian and my family tree says Italian.
Stupid question here.....So what's the point of having DNA done if it's still basically full of errors and wrong percentages?

Old 11-05-2017, 05:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
So what's the point of having DNA done if it's still basically full of errors and wrong percentages?
Who says the DNA test is wrong?
If anything it's gonna be far more reliable than the stories the grandmothers can/will tell.

Lot's of families have lots of blank spots in their histories and even deliberate lies.
Then there's the time frame for when the several ingredients were added to the soup.
You have to look deeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy