Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:14 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times

Advertisements

My family name was anglicized upon entry. Do not know whether my ancestor consciously did this or it was an immigration official and my ancestor just went with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 09:41 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Country of origin records can be spotty too. One of my great++++g-grandfathers came to Massachusetts colony in 1632. I know when he got here, the name of the ship, where it originally embarked from in England, it didn't stop at any other ports on the way.
His name is on the passenger manifest, but I can't find anything about him in any English records prior to his emigration.

In those days, people coming to the new world were usually associated with a group, like the Pilgrims, or a specific Noble like Sir Walter Raleigh, or as a soldier or man at arm's, so you think it shouldn't be hard to find something.

It could be his real name, I can't find anything to prove anything either way.
It is possible he changed his name when he boarded the ship in England, he was between 17 and 25 years old, so the only record that existed could have been a baptismal record in some small country church that could have been lost in one of the wars back then. I don't know, but it is frustrating when you hit a dead end like that.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:23 AM

10 posts, read 6,777 times
Although it doesn't apply to this case, name changes from German to English-looking last names were extremely common, mostly because many of the names were so similar to begin with (and also because Germans started arriving in large numbers much earlier than most other major non-Anglo immigrants).

Fischer=Fisher, Neuman=Newman, Gutmann=Goodman, Kohlmann=Coleman, Busch=Bush, Braun=Brown, Gruen=Green, Silber=Silver, Weiss=White, Mueller=Miller, Thomas=Thomas, Schmitt=Smith, Walker=Walker etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy