U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 4,411,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Younger people tend not to be much interested in such things, but when they become older, this may change. I would hang on to all those items, as someday, they might be treasured by your descendants.

^^^ This. And sometimes it's a grandchild who is interested. That was me in our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 06:54 AM

16,216 posts, read 8,503,104 times
I would make scrap books and put things in 3 ring binders. I honesty wish I had more documents but I don't. My older relatives have them and I worry that when they pass away their kids/grandkids (these are my great great aunts/uncles) will lose or throw our family history documents away.

I collect ephemera regarding the black community of my city and I plan to donate everything to our local history department at our public library. I have already written in my own final documents that that is what I what I want to occur with my own collection since they are local genealogical and general local history specific. I got the idea because a lot of the information I use at our local history department is from donations made by people who were also genealogical researchers or just people who came across boxes of pictures and/or documents and didn't want to throw them away. The library sorted and archived those material and they digitize whatever they can (when the budget allows) and people can come and view the original material as well. I always encourage people to donate these sorts of things to historical societies or libraries.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:00 AM

16,216 posts, read 8,503,104 times
Wanted to also note that local universities may take your collection as well, many of them have information that was donated from a genealogical or local history perspective.

I've already donate lots of items to libraries and I've never had any of them tell me they didn't want the material. I think it depends on if they have a lot of material on that specific topic and I do think because I am black/African American that that makes a difference as there just isn't as many pictures or documents regarding black Americans on my local level especially and not even on the state level.

If your material is concerning specific ethnic heritages they may take unsorted/boxed material. In my area they have a Polish collection, Jewish collection, and German collections since these were some of the major ethnic European contributors to our area. They also have "founders" or "early settler" family collections whereas someone who can trace the people in those documents to founders or early settlers of the city. My own research is focused on black early settlers so my contributions are always sought after. I have friends who donate Polish material and Hungarian material as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or