U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 10:30 AM

5,263 posts, read 8,468,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The OP never said that's what they were basing this on.
OP didn't say he specifically checked the 3 DNA profiles for parentage either, which is why I asked.

It isn't personal, it is simply the first thing that should be checked if you can. Once parentage is confirmed by DNA, than yes, checking out different DNA reports and confidence ranges is the next step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 12:30 PM

9,255 posts, read 14,309,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
OP didn't say he specifically checked the 3 DNA profiles for parentage either, which is why I asked.
I wasn't responding to you though.

Quote:
It isn't personal, it is simply the first thing that should be checked if you can. Once parentage is confirmed by DNA, than yes, checking out different DNA reports and confidence ranges is the next step.
But a bio connection shouldn't even be questioned based on the ethnicity percentage alone. The fact that the OP said "Oh and yes, I can confirm they are my biological parents" certainly suggests they have already checked that. Maybe not, but even so, a bio relation shouldn't be questions purely on the estimate ethnicity, it's just not reliable enough.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I wasn't responding to you though.

But a bio connection shouldn't even be questioned based on the ethnicity percentage alone. The fact that the OP said "Oh and yes, I can confirm they are my biological parents" certainly suggests they have already checked that. Maybe not, but even so, a bio relation shouldn't be questions purely on the estimate ethnicity, it's just not reliable enough.
Doing a DNA test opens up the question of your parentage and ancestry whether you want it to or not. This person has that answer right there since mom and dad have done the test. Basic problem solving would suggest you eliminate a simple explanation with a simple double check first.............then start tinkering with confidence ranges.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:20 PM

510 posts, read 700,244 times
Quote:
The OP never said that's what they were basing this on.
I know. They didn't say how they confirmed that info. I was just trying to give the OP ,and anyone else who happens to find this thread, that information. Also that is why I stated to check the amount of centimorgans. For instance if his "parents" come up on Ancestry as "close family", and he does not have any "immediate family" listed, he might think that is it, they are my parents, when in fact they are not. My grandmother comes up as "close famiy". So Ancestry's categories can be misleading, especially if your closest relative is listed as "close family" and not "immediate family". People should understand more than just the categories. Also on Ancestry, the first person listed is your closest match, meaning you share the most centimorgans, and then the second person is your next highest match, and so forth going down the list. I am related to two sisters--one is my lowest "1st cousin", the other is my highest "2nd cousin". They are actually half first cousins, so understanding the centimorgan match can help. Just trying to give the OP the most knowledge to understand what they are looking at.

also I have to agree with "cdnirene", the OP probably won't be back.

Last edited by fvncresident04; 11-18-2017 at 03:29 PM..

Old 11-18-2017, 03:35 PM

1,097 posts, read 775,677 times
Look at other information, like blood types, eye color, hair color, medical conditions, etc.

There was a set of identical triplets that did a DNA test that came back and didn't show their heritage as being exactly the same.

So do take it with a grain of salt.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:53 PM

10,712 posts, read 9,333,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHobes22 View Post
Hello,

I received my DNA/ethnicity results today and most of it seemed right. But one thing I cannot understand is how I am 25% Western European when my father is 9% and my mother is 0%. How is that possible?

The rest of the DNA results seemed accurate but my family has barely any western european, yet I somehow have a large percentage. Any insight would be useful! Or is it possible my test was "tainted"?

Oh and yes, I can confirm they are my biological parents.

Thank you,
NH
You also may have some Neanderthal ancestory in your DNA, but that goes back a long, long way.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:44 PM

9,255 posts, read 14,309,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Doing a DNA test opens up the question of your parentage and ancestry whether you want it to or not. This person has that answer right there since mom and dad have done the test. Basic problem solving would suggest you eliminate a simple explanation with a simple double check first.............then start tinkering with confidence ranges.
But don't know the OP hasn't already double checked it - that's my point. You're assumption they haven't when they very well may have.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
But don't know the OP hasn't already double checked it - that's my point. You're assumption they haven't when they very well may have.
No, In my original post I just asked to make sure.

Quote:
Not be rude, but did the DNA test itself confirm they are both your parents?

Old 12-13-2017, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 1,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
That seems very suspect. And no, that should not be possible.
Is this from the same company?
Do you have siblings who could also test?
Hello,
Thank you for the response. Yes the results are all from the same company - Ancestry.com. My entire family has gotten the ethnicity test done. I am assuming the percentages are incorrect,seeing that I have significantly more Western European that either of my parents or my siblings (and I am a fraternal twin).

Last edited by NHobes22; 12-13-2017 at 03:02 PM..

Old 12-13-2017, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 1,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Sounds very weird.
I suspect your dad is not your biological dad. It happens. (not offense, of course)
LOL my dad is absolutely my biological dad. Ancestry.com can decipher your relatives based on anyone else in the world who has done the DNA test and was able to pinpoint my dad's DNA test as a match as my father. The system was also able to know based on results that my mom was my mom, and that my siblings are my siblings, etc.

Obviously it's much more likely that the test is misreading my results in some capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or