U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 02:13 AM

6,506 posts, read 8,178,037 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I was acquainted with a gentleman whose ancestors were recipients of a "land grant" from the King of England. The property, in Virginia, was quite large and at the time I knew this man, was still intact.

Apparently, it was common for recipients of such land grants to be titled "Squire".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 10:12 AM

5,169 posts, read 10,216,653 times
I always though a Squire was a Knights apprentice. An errend boy who carried the knights shield/weapons

Old 11-17-2017, 10:44 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,005,032 times
Is it possible it is a shortened form of Esquire, which was a title given to lawyers ? You mention that he did some duties in that realm.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:54 AM

10,928 posts, read 8,991,667 times
^^^ Yes, to the above. Back in the day, people could "read law" rather than attend law school - they'd study with an established lawyer until they were able to practice themselves (not sure if any kind of bar exam was present). Henry Clay read law with George Wythe in Williamsburg (as had Thomas Jefferson), and was a highly respected lawyer all of his later life.

Notary publics could also be termed "squire". One of my late great uncles was a "squire" - he was not a lawyer, but could draw up deeds and handle other non-criminal legal affairs, and may have been able to conduct marriages and draw up wills. This would have been in post-Civil War NW Arkansas

Old 11-17-2017, 11:10 AM

2,994 posts, read 1,601,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I always though a Squire was a Knights apprentice. An errend boy who carried the knights shield/weapons
Yes, that was what a squire was in Medieval times. I guess enough squires got land given to them from their knights that they became landowners in later times! Anyway, the term has evolved to a landowner - in England - and probably just an honorific for someone well respected in the "New World."

Old 11-17-2017, 04:49 PM

5,127 posts, read 4,052,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Nope. He was a blacksmith.....

But I think he also served as the town's Justice of the Peace, and Postmaster......perhaps that's how he acquired the title "squire"
I think you've got it -- Apparently Justices of the Peace were given the title Squire in the past in this country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squire#United_States

Old 11-17-2017, 08:57 PM

8,091 posts, read 6,350,608 times
Well "Esquire" indicates a lawyer. Maybe just a short form of that title.
wiki sez:
"In contemporary American usage, squire is the title given to justices of the peace or similar local dignitaries."

Old 11-17-2017, 10:28 PM

9,244 posts, read 8,667,549 times
Squire came from England, and meant a "Knights Companion". Kind of like a butler, or other person serving someone of higher status. Some people in this country, started adding it to their name, to make them sound more important, not realizing it really meant someones personal servant.

Squire - Name Meaning, What does Squire mean?

Old 11-18-2017, 01:28 AM

9,935 posts, read 16,545,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Squire came from England, and meant a "Knights Companion". Kind of like a butler, or other person serving someone of higher status. Some people in this country, started adding it to their name, to make them sound more important, not realizing it really meant someones personal servant.

Squire - Name Meaning, What does Squire mean?
Well, my G-G GF was German.....it will be interesting to research just exactly how he acquired this "title", or maybe he just gave it to himself

Old 11-18-2017, 02:14 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,089,731 times
I have a 19th century ancestor who held the title 'Squire. I found the mention in a newspaper, but not elsewhere in his paper trail. This particular ancestor was a farmer with lots of land in Virginia. He was also a judge within his district of his small regional town. I found that fact from another newspaper article mentioned his name along with his district which included officers, judges, and clerks who would monitor the polls on election day.

Although I have not researched it much, I had assumed that esquire was someone who owned land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy