U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2017, 07:18 PM
 
9,957 posts, read 16,568,158 times
Reputation: 16892

Advertisements

In doing family research, I found my M-G-Grandfather seemed to have a title of sorts---Squire. He is referred to as Squire Huffman, in WV. So far, I haven't been able to trace his descendants, I seem to have hit a wall there. If its an inherited title, my grandfather, his son, didn't have it, so it either didn't pass on, or its not inherited.


We don't use titles here in this country, so I assume it came with him from somewhere in Europe. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2017, 07:25 PM
 
9,286 posts, read 5,525,997 times
Reputation: 9542
land owner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 07:26 PM
 
Location: 49th parallel
3,000 posts, read 1,608,186 times
Reputation: 6252
It's not an inherited title. Do a google search on the word "Squire" and you will find it meant something different in Medieval times than it did in later years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 07:35 PM
 
9,957 posts, read 16,568,158 times
Reputation: 16892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
It's not an inherited title. Do a google search on the word "Squire" and you will find it meant something different in Medieval times than it did in later years.
Yes, thanks, I've gone that far. But I wonder why someone in this country would use such a title? Its on all his papers, including his death certificate, he died in 1949. It was also on his daughter's marriage license. Perhaps just a vanity title he gave himself? Or a way of distinguishing himself from someone else in the area with the same name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 07:37 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
17,316 posts, read 5,783,363 times
Reputation: 54272
Maybe his first name was Squire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 07:43 PM
 
Location: 49th parallel
3,000 posts, read 1,608,186 times
Reputation: 6252
Plantation owners in the South, and probably in West Virginia and Virginia too, were pretty much the major landowners and probably got called "Squire" by most of the populace. And also it might have been just what you said - a way to distinguish himself from someone else of the same name, or from his brothers, or whatever.

Or maybe his first name was Squire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,260 posts, read 8,466,155 times
Reputation: 3691
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
In doing family research, I found my M-G-Grandfather seemed to have a title of sorts---Squire. He is referred to as Squire Huffman, in WV. So far, I haven't been able to trace his descendants, I seem to have hit a wall there. If its an inherited title, my grandfather, his son, didn't have it, so it either didn't pass on, or its not inherited.


We don't use titles here in this country, so I assume it came with him from somewhere in Europe. Any ideas?
Two of my ancestors were Squire's too. They went by "Squire Jack" and "Squire Mike" both were land owners and lived in the mountains of Western Maryland.

The men were very well respected in the community, so we always thought of it as an unofficial honorific. But if anyone knows different, I would love to find out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 08:04 PM
 
9,957 posts, read 16,568,158 times
Reputation: 16892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Plantation owners in the South, and probably in West Virginia and Virginia too, were pretty much the major landowners and probably got called "Squire" by most of the populace. And also it might have been just what you said - a way to distinguish himself from someone else of the same name, or from his brothers, or whatever.

Or maybe his first name was Squire!
Nice try---but his name was Joseph Hoffman. He always went by the title 'Squire'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Bay View, Milwaukee
2,358 posts, read 4,386,158 times
Reputation: 3144
It was probably a local honorific, like how some people were called Captain or General even if they hadn't served in any affiliated institution.

But also, if your relative was a lawyer of any kind, perhaps "Squire" evolved from "Esquire"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 11:03 PM
 
9,957 posts, read 16,568,158 times
Reputation: 16892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
It was probably a local honorific, like how some people were called Captain or General even if they hadn't served in any affiliated institution.

But also, if your relative was a lawyer of any kind, perhaps "Squire" evolved from "Esquire"....
Nope. He was a blacksmith.....


But I think he also served as the town's Justice of the Peace, and Postmaster......perhaps that's how he acquired the title "squire"

Last edited by MaryleeII; 11-16-2017 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top