U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 09:41 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,421,833 times

Advertisements

My great grandmother used various first and last names. What name do I use to begin her profile? The one recorded in the census records when she was a child? What about a different surname that pops up on one occasion, relating to a power of attorney, but never again?

I'm also trying to figure out where to explain all of this ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 01:14 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,090,150 times
I had a g-grandmother who was married 3 times. I am not sure this is the rule, but I entered her information like this below under her name in Ancestry. I entered the last names chronologically from her marriage dates. I entered her first married name, then second, then third (first to the last). Oddly one of her last names is 2 words, so her very long name looks very strange. And I left out her maiden name and I do the same for other married female ancestors.

I do not have ancestors with known aliases, so for something more unusual in your case I would probably provide a known explanation under the story section of the ancestor. I might use asterisks at the beginning of the explanation or event regarding the name.

Example (not her real name)

First and Middle name
Margaret Catherine

Last Names
Smith Williams Johnson

Last edited by maus; 11-17-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 11-17-2017, 01:37 PM

9,254 posts, read 14,290,922 times
Most trees should allow you to add more than one name fact? You should record every name you find, but when picking the default/preferred name, I usually go by their birth name. If you don't have a birth or baptism record, I would use whatever name occurs the most often. Keep in mind that in history, name spellings were often a fluid thing. Before things like official birth certificates and social security existed, the concept of an "official name" didn't really exist either.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:47 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,421,833 times
Ok, so I'll use the name that is recognized by the second cousins. In terms of surnames, there is what appears to be her father's last name, then my great grandfather's surname, then another surname that popped up while she was living with my great grandfather and then the surname she adopted after a recorded marriage. OTOH, I don't believe she is the biological daughter of my alleged great great grandfather, anyway.

I'm assuming that there is a place to put these additional notes on Ancestry.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:08 AM

9,254 posts, read 14,290,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Ok, so I'll use the name that is recognized by the second cousins. In terms of surnames, there is what appears to be her father's last name, then my great grandfather's surname, then another surname that popped up while she was living with my great grandfather and then the surname she adopted after a recorded marriage. OTOH, I don't believe she is the biological daughter of my alleged great great grandfather, anyway.

I'm assuming that there is a place to put these additional notes on Ancestry.
In Ancestry, you can just add additional name facts. The name fact doesn't have a description/details field if you want to add notes, but if you're adding a source citation to the name fact, the citation has a notes field (I think it's called "other information". You're also free to create a "story" in the gallery where you can leave notes, explanations, etc and attach the story to any fact.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:46 AM

1,036 posts, read 587,017 times
Standard genealogy process is to list a woman by her full unmarried name. The marriages, where the spouse is known, is where the new last name turns up.

If the software you're using (or Ancestry.com) has an "also known as" choice, that's where you add the nicknames and other names known by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or