U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 03:48 PM

10,520 posts, read 7,996,908 times

Advertisements

Yeah, for those of us who submitted their data previously (and perhaps for everyone) promethease is allowing you to upload the data so that you can re-run the reports as more data becomes available and changes.

I got the 7x risk of male pattern baldness (Winner there, I started losing my hair at about 19)

A fair amount of the ARMD, higher risk of skin cancer..

One thing that I haven't seen on any of these sites, at least not explicitly, is which gene allows you to smell the 'bitter almonds' smell of cyanide. Not sure if that's the same gene that allows people to smell the asparagus metabolites in urine or not.. I don't think it is as I understand the asparagus thing is a larger percentage of the population.. Something like 35% can detect that, while cyanide is only 5 to 10%.

Promethease will tell you if you are or are not 'immune' to HIV and Norovirus.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 04:46 PM

9,254 posts, read 14,286,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah, for those of us who submitted their data previously (and perhaps for everyone) promethease is allowing you to upload the data so that you can re-run the reports as more data becomes available and changes.

I got the 7x risk of male pattern baldness (Winner there, I started losing my hair at about 19)

A fair amount of the ARMD, higher risk of skin cancer..

One thing that I haven't seen on any of these sites, at least not explicitly, is which gene allows you to smell the 'bitter almonds' smell of cyanide. Not sure if that's the same gene that allows people to smell the asparagus metabolites in urine or not.. I don't think it is as I understand the asparagus thing is a larger percentage of the population.. Something like 35% can detect that, while cyanide is only 5 to 10%.
I guess since most people would never come in contact with cyanide anyway, there's not much point in knowing this so there many haven't been any genetic studies done on it.

Quote:
Promethease will tell you if you are or are not 'immune' to HIV and Norovirus.
Interesting - I am not resistant to HIV and I am susceptible to Norovirus. These things can be hard to find sometimes if you're not specifically looking for them.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:22 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,584,418 times
I guess if someone is trying to poison you with cyanide, it would be very important to have the right gene for that. LOL

Old 12-15-2017, 01:01 PM

12,523 posts, read 22,513,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Yes, Promethease has Cystic Fibrosis analysis of your data.
Here is what I got. My Rs213950 (A;G) slight chance
rs213950, a SNP in the cystic fibrosis CFTR gene, has been reported in a large study to be associated with type-1 diabetes. In an expanded follow-up study of >6,000 controls and 6,000 patients, the heterozygote odds ratio for this SNP was recalculated to be 1.09 (CI 1.04–1.15). [OMIM:CFTR POLYMORPHISM] ... more info...
Thanks so much! It's a miracle her boys are still alive. They were born before 1970, one has had both lungs transplanted.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:48 PM

5,257 posts, read 8,454,389 times
Scary stuff. As of right now, I don't want to know. Considering family history and lifespans, I am sure my DNA would light up with warning signals for cancer, Alzheimers, and a bunch of other problems.

That said, I can see how this information is very helpful to people who wish to know.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Yes, Promethease has Cystic Fibrosis analysis of your data.
Here is what I got. My Rs213950 (A;G) slight chance
rs213950, a SNP in the cystic fibrosis CFTR gene, has been reported in a large study to be associated with type-1 diabetes. In an expanded follow-up study of >6,000 controls and 6,000 patients, the heterozygote odds ratio for this SNP was recalculated to be 1.09 (CI 1.04–1.15). [OMIM:CFTR POLYMORPHISM] ... more info...
Very much appreciated! She is a carrier for CF. Now I have to upload my daughters.
Sister in law didn't get my FB PM, was a good thing texted her saying mom is a carrier because she spent $160 on a 23 and me test this morning. She was able to cancel her order.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Scary stuff. As of right now, I don't want to know. Considering family history and lifespans, I am sure my DNA would light up with warning signals for cancer, Alzheimers, and a bunch of other problems.

That said, I can see how this information is very helpful to people who wish to know.
You're not kidding! Just did my daughters nana's. All sorts of cancer, one was head and neck which she fought 2 years ago. Debating uploading mine, but its free so probably will

Old 12-21-2017, 09:26 PM

696 posts, read 443,115 times
Anyone else a Rhizomelic Chondrodysplasia Punctata Type 1 carrier?

Myself and my relative supposedly are, it's scary to think that if true, I had children without knowing.

Other than that, it said a false positive for Cystic Fibrosis & the phenylalanine thing.

Lots of other bad stuff.

I did have the warrior gene *double - and my relatives tested had just the one warrior gene. Evidently when you get it from both sides it causes some personality issues in women. Oh well!

Also, moderately increased hippocampal volume, but lots of stuff about poor drug metabolism and other disease.

Last edited by abcdefg567; 12-21-2017 at 09:36 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Anyone else a Rhizomelic Chondrodysplasia Punctata Type 1 carrier?

Myself and my relative supposedly are, it's scary to think that if true, I had children without knowing.

Other than that, it said a false positive for Cystic Fibrosis & the phenylalanine thing.

Lots of other bad stuff.

I did have the warrior gene *double - and my relatives tested had just the one warrior gene. Evidently when you get it from both sides it causes some personality issues in women. Oh well!

Also, moderately increased hippocampal volume, but lots of stuff about poor drug metabolism and other disease.
I have the metabolic medication ones, wasn't shocked. My 1st results were Benzene exposure which is what killed my dad in 06 and something with my thyroid. I've been trying to check out the difference between my ancestry and my heritage results. It seems I have some empty results for some with my heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy