Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,953 times

Advertisements

Hi all thank you so much for your comment and sorry about writing Germany as being in West or East Europe I am do not know why I wrote that. But I will sign up for Genmatch and see what happens and then download my DNA there, but my Dad does not have any Ancestors of Italian or Greek heritage, though we do have an Ancestor born in the mountains in Italy but his parents and he were of English Ancestry, this was in the late 1600s to early 1700s. And my Dad and I's Ancestor grew up in Italy but then moved back to England and got married to a woman in England. I actually had my Dad get his DNA done from Ancestry because we did not know where our last name of Kiblin came from and my Dad's DNA said he was 59% Great Britain, 16% Ireland, 8% Scandinavian, and his Trace Regions were Asia South, Italy/Greece, and Middle East.

I know that Native American's do not come from Germany I should of said that my Mom and I's Ancestor was from Hampshire County Virginia (now West Virginia). I am new to the message boards so I should of re-read my post before I posted it, thank you all again for the replies.

Kristy Marie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 06:20 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristymarie0816 View Post
Hi all thank you so much for your comment and sorry about writing Germany as being in West or East Europe I am do not know why I wrote that. But I will sign up for Genmatch and see what happens and then download my DNA there, but my Dad does not have any Ancestors of Italian or Greek heritage, though we do have an Ancestor born in the mountains in Italy but his parents and he were of English Ancestry, this was in the late 1600s to early 1700s. And my Dad and I's Ancestor grew up in Italy but then moved back to England and got married to a woman in England. I actually had my Dad get his DNA done from Ancestry because we did not know where our last name of Kiblin came from and my Dad's DNA said he was 59% Great Britain, 16% Ireland, 8% Scandinavian, and his Trace Regions were Asia South, Italy/Greece, and Middle East.

I know that Native American's do not come from Germany I should of said that my Mom and I's Ancestor was from Hampshire County Virginia (now West Virginia). I am new to the message boards so I should of re-read my post before I posted it, thank you all again for the replies.

Kristy Marie
Make sure you also upload your dads to the free sites too. I'm not sure how long My Heritage and Family Tree DNA will allow free uploads

Old 12-26-2017, 10:54 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
More importantly than Gedmatch, did you research censuses to find information on these ancestors? They often say where someone was born. I'm not sure why the obvious answer is in question, that your ancestor was German, when they had German surnames, not Greek or Italian or Native American. You can't go by how someone looks or what clothes they were wearing long ago. You have to do the research.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:01 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristymarie0816 View Post
Hi my name is Kristen I am originally from Baltimore Maryland but I now live in Western Pennsylvania bu my question is about DNA results, I LOVE to look up my family tree and I got into Genealogy from my Dad who got into it from his Grandmother who was throwing away a book some how related to the Catholic Church and it had a lot of old names/dates in it.

But anyway's my question is on my Mom's side of the family about 8-10 years ago I found out that my Mom and I might be part Native American "Shawnee Indian" through my Grandmother who I did not know. ANd my Mom's family is originally from Western Maryland "Allegany County Mary;and) but anyway's NO ONE was ever able to prove the Native American so I decided to get my DNA tested first I did it through National Geographic and it said I was 48% German which made sense since my Mom, Grandmother (who I did not know) and my Great Grandmother's maiden names are or were of German Ancestry then it said I was 42% Greek and I thought wow, Greek are you sure but my Dad said a DNA test does not lie, then National Geographic was able to transfer my DNA over to Familytreedna and both National Geographic and the Familytreedna NO Native American showed up my it said I Was 37% Italy/Greece, so I thought maybe my Mom and I are NOT Native American we are Greek, so I went through a few years thinking we are now Greek and NOT Native American but then a distant cousin on my Mom's sie sent me a few copy's of old picture's and the one picture is of my Mom and I's Ancestor's from Germany and the lady who was supposed to be Native American is in the photo take abt 1878 and she had a different dress/outfit on and it does look like she is Native American because of the dress/outfit and also from other Native American dresses/outfits I seen from Googing Native American clothing.

So then I decided to have my Mom get her DNA tested and this time through Ancestrydna and it said she was 34% Europe East which is Germany and her maiden name, mother and grandmother's maiden names are or were of German Ancestry and then it said she was 19% Italy/Greece and 8% Ireland and 6% Great Britain and again NO Native American showed up but again I thought we are Greek and NOT Native American, but then I showed an old co-worker of mine the picture and the dress/outfit of the possible Native American my Mom's Great Grandmother and she said I am no expert but it did look Native American to her.

So then about three weeks ago I shared the picture on facebook and people who commented said that the dress/outfit looked like it was Native American, so then a few days later I asked a question the Ancestry official page on facebook about how my Mom's DNA said she was 19% Italy/Greece hen I found NO Ancestor's from Italy or Greece on my Mom's family tree and Ancestry replied saying that I will have to dig deeper into finding my Italian or Greek Ancestors for the 19% but the problem is I have gone so far back and far back as I can on my Mom's side of the family to where I will probably not find any Ancestor's from or living in Italy or Greece.

So my question is why does my Mom's Ancestrydna say 19% Italy/Greece when I found NO Ancestors from Italy or Greece. Or maybe my Mom's Great Grandmother is actually really Greek and not Native American. I wish that my Mom's Great Grandmother could appear to me in a dream and tell me what Nationality she is lol But thank you to who might know. And if there is a way to post the picture of my Mom's family on here please let me know and thank you again to who might know.
NO it is not true, you must believe your ancestors.. not the test.

what the test can only show you is.. your father's male line and your mother's father male line.. one is german in their computer models and one is greek in their computer models.. that may not be the whole truth.. do more research .. because they don't know what they are looking at . please believe your grandma's if they said they were native americans.. . this scientism is a con job. don't believe any of it .

Now if your native ancestor is a MALE line and stait up that greek side .. that might be him. because real native American should look like Canaanites and other SEA peoples looking closely to Polynesians and greeks and turkey and any place only a boat can get... sea People are found in Greece ... but we have had invasions of SE asians, pearl divers and Japanese, Chinese railroad workers and dna in mines have been used to" prove" their ideas of native Americans ( mean DNA from Chinese at " China lake") ...... in the 500 years no one is accounting for them either..
..if it is a Female they will never see a female, not from DNA like that. .. that is not what they see or what they are identifying or code . they can only see and measure two male lines. that is what makes your race .. two male lines.. they see nothing of your true history.. . and nearly none of the female from any line can they see from DNA ... only the father's on two lines.. the father and the Mothers father.. at about a( f)60/(mf)40 down to(f) 80/(mf)20.. depending on the individual child.' so believe your family tales.. not lies of scientism.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:45 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
NO it is not true, you must believe your ancestors.. not the test.

what the test can only show you is.. your father's male line and your mother's father male line.. one is german in their computer models and one is greek in their computer models.. that may not be the whole truth.. do more research .. because they don't know what they are looking at . please believe your grandma's if they said they were native americans.. . this scientism is a con job. don't believe any of it .

Now if your native ancestor is a MALE line and stait up that greek side .. that might be him. because real native American should look like Canaanites and other SEA peoples looking closely to Polynesians and greeks and turkey and any place only a boat can get... sea People are found in Greece ... but we have had invasions of SE asians, pearl divers and Japanese, Chinese railroad workers and dna in mines have been used to" prove" their ideas of native Americans ( mean DNA from Chinese at " China lake") ...... in the 500 years no one is accounting for them either..
..if it is a Female they will never see a female, not from DNA like that. .. that is not what they see or what they are identifying or code . they can only see and measure two male lines. that is what makes your race .. two male lines.. they see nothing of your true history.. . and nearly none of the female from any line can they see from DNA ... only the father's on two lines.. the father and the Mothers father.. at about a( f)60/(mf)40 down to(f) 80/(mf)20.. depending on the individual child.' so believe your family tales.. not lies of scientism.
There isn't one bit of factual information in this post it is completely nonsensical.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:50 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Native American would not look like Greek or German DNA. It might possibly appear as Asian on some tests. There is always the chance that someone was adopted into a tribe or by a family that was partially Native American. Having a Native American dress or other outfit means they had a native American dress or outfit...nothing more.

"German" can mean almost anything and come from wide and diverse parts of Europe -- east or west. Volga-Germans lived in Russia. My German ancestors lived in Pomerania...now part of Baltic Poland. Austria is another possibility along with Bohemia. "Prussia" was originally in the Baltic region east of Gdansk. These folks retained a German identity and commonly had German surnames but DNA might tell a slightly different story. I had a great gr-father who told everyone he was Bavarian German but was actually Ukrainian. German or Greek DNA would not be confused on multiple tests for actual Native American DNA.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:16 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
I'm Kristy's cousin. I have a copy of the picture, but I can't get it to load on Imgur. Anyone know why a simple jpeg wouldn't upload? It has happened for two straight days. The young lady in the picture is wearing a white colored dress with some sort of embroidery. She stands out in the photo for sure........the others are all dressed in black. Her kids are in the picture, so it isn't a wedding photo, it is a family portrait with her mom (adopted?) husband, and father-in-law.

The lady in question was supposedly adopted, her Catholic baptismal record lists her ethnicity as Armenian, her parents were German, surname Heck. This lady later in life told some of her grandkids (my grandmother's generation) that she was actually an adopted Shawnee Indian. Allegedly, her parents told the church she was Armenian because of the stigma of being an Indian.

Many of her descendants have taken DNA tests, to my knowledge none of us have shown any traces of NA blood. Still, if I can get a copy of the photo here, I will so everyone can see the dress.

(BTW, this is a different alleged Indian ancestor than the one I have discussed previously.......I have always found this story intriguing, but less believable than the other. Neither is true so far as I can tell.)

Old 12-28-2017, 10:37 AM

510 posts, read 901,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I'm Kristy's cousin. I have a copy of the picture, but I can't get it to load on Imgur. Anyone know why a simple jpeg wouldn't upload?)
would making the jpeg file size smaller (resize) help?. I think you can use "paint" to do that.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:54 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times

https://imgur.com/a/Pt03Z

Ok, this should work.

1. The blur in Mary's lap is my great-great-grandfather as a baby. He moved around too much and blurred the photo.
2. Is her hair long and black? Or is she wearing a veil?

Any guesses or suggestions on whether or not her dress is some sort of ethnic costume would be very helpful. Again, family lore claims she was adopted. Mary allegedly told some of her grandkids she was a Shawnee Indian, her baptismal records say Armenian, her parents were German so far as I know.

DNA testing of my mother (her great-great-granddaugther) shows trace regions of Iberia, Europe South, and South Asia, all regions for which we have no known ancestors. Many of her descendents of taken various DNA tests, and to my knowledge, we have all come up empty on Native American markers.

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2017, 11:06 AM

510 posts, read 901,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

https://imgur.com/a/Pt03Z

Ok, this should work.

1. The blur in Mary's lap is my great-great-grandfather as a baby. He moved around too much and blurred the photo.
2. Is her hair long and black? Or is she wearing a veil?

Any guesses or suggestions on whether or not her dress is some sort of ethnic costume would be very helpful. Again, family lore claims she was adopted. Mary allegedly told some of her grandkids she was a Shawnee Indian, her baptismal records say Armenian, her parents were German so far as I know.

DNA testing of my mother (her great-great-granddaugther) shows trace regions of Iberia, Europe South, and South Asia, all regions for which we have no known ancestors. Many of her descendents of taken various DNA tests, and to my knowledge, we have all come up empty on Native American markers.

Thanks!
just a guess, but I say she is not Native American. My daughter and her friend disagree with me. They think she is native American, and they didn't read your previous post. I just asked them to get a non biased opinion and they cam e up with NA on their own. .. thank you for sharing the picture--very cool.

I know DNA is randomly passed down generation to generation. I would like to know at what point the DNA is no longer there to pass on. I also had a rumor that there was Native American on one side of my family. Ancestry found none, My Heritage DNA said 1.2%. I thought I read somewhere that the low numbers could be false positives, and referred to as "noise".

Last edited by fvncresident04; 12-28-2017 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy