U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2017, 06:02 PM
 
510 posts, read 698,421 times
Reputation: 541

Advertisements

you can try here also, it is free. https://www.familysearch.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2017, 06:57 AM
 
Location: NJ
12,523 posts, read 22,519,049 times
Reputation: 11472
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Howard, you couldn’t be even vaguer in your post if you tried. Are you looking for a male or female or both? When were he/she/they last known to be alive? What states do you know they lived in.

Marriage record could help if it lists the names of the parents. An obituary of a parent would probably tell you if the child was alive at the time of the parent’s death and maybe a new surname of a daughter if remarried.

Have you searched for a grave on findagrave?
When I saw the thread, I knew what Howard was posting about. Here is the thread //www.city-data.com/forum/peopl...l#post49921222 as of now, 432 replies. There are a bunch of CD members helping, we've been looking everywhere, ancestry, family search, find a grave. The OP has also done Ancestry DNA, he's uploaded to My Heritage, is going to be uploading to FTDNA and GEDmatch, hoping to find a 1/2 sibling.

I quoted a bunch of the OP's posts in the link below. Oldest on top, newest at the bottom if anyone wants to easily scan what was done at that point. I haven't had time to do it for posts after that but am unsure if we've found anything more

//www.city-data.com/forum/peopl...l#post50236166
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 09:46 AM
 
Location: 5,400 feet
2,930 posts, read 2,826,438 times
Reputation: 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Can someone with access to Ancestry look at this record and see if it gives any helpful data?

All U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

View Record

Jane Ney Galvin datecity, Connecticut

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...SAV=1&uidh=sz1
No record available, this is the info:

Name: Jane Ney Galvin
[Jane Esther Ney] Gender: Female Race: White Birth Date: 14 Apr 1895 Birth Place: Meriden N H, Connecticut Father: John Ney Mother: Mary Fisher SSN: 042245214 Notes: Feb 1947: Name listed as JANE NEY GALVIN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 04:11 PM
 
11,139 posts, read 15,589,409 times
Reputation: 5329
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I started this thread to be specific to finding the obituary for Jenney Galvin and to get 1+ fresh sets of eyes.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Columbus, Indiana
969 posts, read 1,999,562 times
Reputation: 1396
Do you know if Jenny had any siblings? I found an obit for a Nellie Ritter of Omaha Nebraska who died in 1938. The obituary mentions a sister Jennie Galvin of Oakland California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 08:41 AM
 
11,139 posts, read 15,589,409 times
Reputation: 5329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
Do you know if Jenny had any siblings? I found an obit for a Nellie Ritter of Omaha Nebraska who died in 1938. The obituary mentions a sister Jennie Galvin of Oakland California.
From notes received from another member her mother died when she was 2 years old and her father died when she was 10 years old, so the 1910 Census should have her as a child in another household.
I am not aware of any siblings at this time but none of her kids or grand kids or persons on her husbands side know anything about her departure from the family sometime in the 1930's. She is not shown in the household in the 1940 census. If she had siblings that could help find someone that might know about Jenney's death. And her name is spelled three different ways between birth certificate to husbands obituary.

There is an entire thread on the people forum about her daughter and details are being found that had already been searched for and found by other people days or weeks before. So alot of duplication on that thread.

NONE of her kids or their descendants or her husbands descendants know anything about Jenney.
I was trying to isolate Jenney only on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 09:27 AM
 
Location: NJ
12,523 posts, read 22,519,049 times
Reputation: 11472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
Do you know if Jenny had any siblings? I found an obit for a Nellie Ritter of Omaha Nebraska who died in 1938. The obituary mentions a sister Jennie Galvin of Oakland California.
I just went back to the quoted posts I did. I believe Jenny had no siblings. Her parents appeared to have passed young. She's found living with a family in 1910


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I had a few spare minutes to poke around.

I don’t think the grandmother was Jennie E Ney. I think she was Jane E Ney (middle name Esther according to someone on ancestry who offered it up as an alternative). Jane E Ney was born to John Ney and Mary Fisher on 14th April 1895 in Meriden, Conn (from a social security applications and claims index record* which is in the name of Jane Ney Galvin).

Looking for John Ney and Mary Fisher, I found they were married in Groton, Connecticut on July 19th 1888. John’s name has been listed as Nye. He was born in Rhode Island, Mary was born in Groton. Familysearch has the original record of marriage (but it's accessible via ancestry).

The original 1910 census form for Jennie Ney clearly shows her as boarder, not daughter. Jennie was most likely her nickname.

* This SS record is undated, but does say that in 1947 her name was listed as Jane Ney Galvin.

I ran out of time for today. Hopefully someone else might find more info for Jane E (possibly Esther) Ney born April 14th 1895. Just plain old coincidence that her birthdate of 4/14 is the same as Mildred's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Well, that census states Mrs Moore was the mother of 0 live children of 0 children born. That would suggest Jennie Ney was not her child. Perhaps she was a relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 12:41 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,523 posts, read 22,519,049 times
Reputation: 11472
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
From notes received from another member her mother died when she was 2 years old and her father died when she was 10 years old, so the 1910 Census should have her as a child in another household.
I am not aware of any siblings at this time but none of her kids or grand kids or persons on her husbands side know anything about her departure from the family sometime in the 1930's. She is not shown in the household in the 1940 census. If she had siblings that could help find someone that might know about Jenney's death. And her name is spelled three different ways between birth certificate to husbands obituary.

There is an entire thread on the people forum about her daughter and details are being found that had already been searched for and found by other people days or weeks before. So alot of duplication on that thread.

NONE of her kids or their descendants or her husbands descendants know anything about Jenney.
I was trying to isolate Jenney only on this thread.
Sorry, I loaded the thread early this morning, took me a while to reply, didn't refresh before submitting. Just saw it after rebooting my browser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 04:50 PM
 
11,139 posts, read 15,589,409 times
Reputation: 5329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I just went back to the quoted posts I did. I believe Jenny had no siblings. Her parents appeared to have passed young. She's found living with a family in 1910
I have no access to Ancestry has anyone tracked her from 1910 census to the 1920 census which would be around the time she married, give or take a few years.
I'll have to locate the ages of her kids and come up with an approximate marriage date from there.

The name of the family she lived with might be something I could pursue. She may have kept in touch with them after she left the home.

The CT State death index does not have her listed. She slipped through the cracks if she died in CT.
CT is a small area and easy to relocate to NY for example. We know she died before late 1966 and I believe that she was alive and well as late as 1940 (at the least). Age 45 in 1940. If she was legally married to William then there should be divorce records (?) Unless just a separation and she died before a legal divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 05:30 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,523 posts, read 22,519,049 times
Reputation: 11472
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I have no access to Ancestry has anyone tracked her from 1910 census to the 1920 census which would be around the time she married, give or take a few years.
I'll have to locate the ages of her kids and come up with an approximate marriage date from there.

The name of the family she lived with might be something I could pursue. She may have kept in touch with them after she left the home.

The CT State death index does not have her listed. She slipped through the cracks if she died in CT.
CT is a small area and easy to relocate to NY for example. We know she died before late 1966 and I believe that she was alive and well as late as 1940 (at the least). Age 45 in 1940. If she was legally married to William then there should be divorce records (?) Unless just a separation and she died before a legal divorce.
Good thinking Howard
Didn't we find their marriage record? Pretty sure I posted it. I'll see if I can find it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top