Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 11:10 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
My father just did a MyHeritageDNA test and got the results back. His parents both had grandparents from Ireland so the results were not too surprising except the North African:

47% Irish/Scottish/Welsh
32% Scandinavian (could this be Viking DNA in British Isles? Because we have no family history of Scandinavia)
18% English
1.7% North African

He's gone pretty far in the family tree research but so far we don't see anything other than Western European names.

Is the 1.7% something we should theoretically be able to chase down in recent history?
Mine reads very much like yours and if you look through history you will see where the Vikings took over and occupied Ireland and Scotland ( and in my case the Orkney islands ) many times . I have some DNA tht at one point crossed or lived in the Bering Straits when it was still a land mass .

https://www.yourirish.com/history/me...invade-ireland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 09:26 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
people talk about no history at a certain place, dna goes back thousand of years

Old 12-30-2017, 09:00 PM

919 posts, read 608,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
North Africans are Caucasians, they are Middle Eastern.
Take a look at the "Berbers"
That's a lovely family portrait .... very colourful. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:35 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
My father just did a MyHeritageDNA test and got the results back. His parents both had grandparents from Ireland so the results were not too surprising except the North African:

47% Irish/Scottish/Welsh
32% Scandinavian (could this be Viking DNA in British Isles? Because we have no family history of Scandinavia)
18% English
1.7% North African

He's gone pretty far in the family tree research but so far we don't see anything other than Western European names.

Is the 1.7% something we should theoretically be able to chase down in recent history?

Quote:
North Africans are Caucasians, they are Middle Eastern.
Take a look at the "Berbers"
You're right. My Italian hub has 3.2 North African (Berbers). I'll post back if I can find out how far back the DNA goes.

According to the founders project, they have 42 ethnic regions and will add more as they test more places

Old 12-31-2017, 06:46 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You're right. My Italian hub has 3.2 North African (Berbers). I'll post back if I can find out how far back the DNA goes.

According to the founders project, they have 42 ethnic regions and will add more as they test more places
I have Italian great grandparents as well, and North African/Middle Eastern/Red Sea DNA shows up in my DNA results. I am happy with the results from FTDNA, because FTDNA does not use the term "north african", they use "middle eastern".

Old 01-11-2018, 01:06 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,012 times
Quote:

47% Irish/Scottish/Welsh
18% English
1.7% North African

I too did the MyHeritage DNA test. Just got the results this week. Mine had 1% North African, and 1% Nigerian. When you consider that life on this planet originated in Africa, any African results, Northern included should not be a surprise.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:07 PM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I too did the MyHeritage DNA test. Just got the results this week. Mine had 1% North African, and 1% Nigerian. When you consider that life on this planet originated in Africa, any African results, Northern included should not be a surprise.
Umm, services that check for ancestral dna do not go far enough in time, and exclude the dna that is common between Africans and out-of-Africa populations... If you have African DNA show up in your results, you had a common ancestor within the last ~500 years, not from tens of thousands years ago.

To the OP: Vikings raided Spain when it was controlled by North Africans, so it is not that surprising that you have a small North African %.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
I have Italian great grandparents as well, and North African/Middle Eastern/Red Sea DNA shows up in my DNA results. I am happy with the results from FTDNA, because FTDNA does not use the term "north african", they use "middle eastern".
They do use the term "North African", they just group it under Middle Eastern, not as African.
Attached Thumbnails
What does 1.7% North African mean on MyHeritageDNA?-ftdnanorthafrican.png  

Old 01-12-2018, 11:00 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Autosomal DNA ethnicity reports do not go back to the beginning of civilization. They only go back roughly 1000 years ago. An unexpected 1% in any group is likely just noise.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:21 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
They do use the term "North African", they just group it under Middle Eastern, not as African.
Yes, and I believe is the right term.
As per Ancestry they are Africans, period. And that is a mistake, they are Middle Eastern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy