U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:28 PM

730 posts, read 988,014 times

Advertisements

Weird, we thought it would bring more insight but it just brought more confusion. At least we were right about the Irish/Welsh/Scots heritage being strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:37 AM

9,264 posts, read 14,325,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Yes, and I believe is the right term.
As per Ancestry they are Africans, period. And that is a mistake, they are Middle Eastern
I don't believe there's really a right or wrong here. North Africans aren't Sub-Saharan but that doesn't mean they aren't African. Eastern North Africa (like Egypt) may have more in common genetically with the Middle East but I'm not convince Western North Africa does. Ultimately, it's a part of Africa and therefore it's geographically correct to call them Africans. There is no law saying anyone not Sub-Saharan isn't actually African, and there is no law that says the DNA populations must be grouped by similar ethnicity rather than geographically. There's always going to be regions where their categorization could go one way or another. Let's not get hung up on semantics.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:42 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,750,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
MyHeritage is trash !
I got their results too, as per My Heritage I am 49% Native American, and only one of my great grandmother is Native American.
That is very possible as genes line up on a random basis. Don't be so quick to discount the results especially if you are female.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
That is very possible as genes line up on a random basis. Don't be so quick to discount the results especially if you are female.
It's highly unlikely someone would inherit 49% from a great grandparent. On paper, it's only 12.5%, and while that can vary, it's not going to vary as much as this. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but I also wouldn't say it's "very possible".

What do you think being female has to do with it?

MyHeritage had the most inaccurate ethnicity reports for all 4 of my kits, in comparison to the 3 other major genealogy DNA companies, and based on what I hear on social media, the vast majority of users agree with that.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 AM

5,269 posts, read 8,479,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's highly unlikely someone would inherit 49% from a great grandparent. On paper, it's only 12.5%, and while that can vary, it's not going to vary as much as this. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but I also wouldn't say it's "very possible".

What do you think being female has to do with it?

MyHeritage had the most inaccurate ethnicity reports for all 4 of my kits, in comparison to the 3 other major genealogy DNA companies, and based on what I hear on social media, the vast majority of users agree with that.
I'll second that.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:00 AM

29,891 posts, read 65,695,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's highly unlikely someone would inherit 49% from a great grandparent.
Not directly... but lineages are odd things.
Attached Thumbnails
What does 1.7% North African mean on MyHeritageDNA?-49-one.png  

Old 01-17-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not directly... but lineages are odd things.
I'm not sure what your point is? The ancestry timeline on 23andMe is only an estimate based on the idea you had one ancestor from those regions, which often times isn't the case. I wouldn't put much thought into those timelines, or use them to prove anything, and I'm not sure what it has to do with the point I was making.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:44 AM

634 posts, read 540,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I'll second that.
Me too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or