Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:11 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixgangsta1993 View Post
I have a few relatives who came from Ethiopia that live in the U.S. and most of their kids the same age as me (in their 20s) have accents that sound more African American despite living in a pretty Asian/Mexican suburb of California with few AA's.

Is it a cultural thing? I know accent isn't biological but I do wonder why people say African Americans and Black Americans seem in a large part to retain their accents.

Even thinking of the "whitest sounding" newscaster, George Howell on CNN local in Atlanta...there's still a hint of non-neutrality that you can hear.
Everyone in America has an accent depending on the geographic location where they live.

And all newscasters change their voices to sound like the same old dull, boring newscaster voice IMO. Not sure what you mean by "non-neutrality."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 12:17 PM

This guy give a decent account of the Atlanta accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7C3_S12V2A

This girl mentions my alma mater and apparently they are still having a lot of accent conversations lol. She is from Detroit and most people from Detroit speak like how she is speaking throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV55Pf5mA8Q

The are totally different.

Black New Yorkers speak with a NYC accent. Black Californians, depending on the city they are from all speak like they are from California.

Black people from New Orleans, I love their accents once you get used to them.

ETA: I always think its' interesting, that I am from NW OH not too far from Detroit like the young lady in the second video is from, yet we still have quite a few differences in the way we speak versus Detroiters. The girl in the video said that she calls a shopping cart/grocery cart a "buggy" and all black people I know from where I'm from, call it a "grocery cart." My spouse is from Chicago and he had never heard of the phrase "running the sweeper" for "vacuuming" which is something that is common in the Midwest to say by all people. He also had never heard of "gutters" being called an "eaves trough" which is what I call them (and my parents/grandparents, etc.) Both of us are black lol. So we don't all speak the same. There are different lingos in different geographic areas. Accents are also very different.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:55 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
I have a few relatives who came from Ethiopia that live in the U.S. and most of their kids the same age as me (in their 20s) have accents that sound more African American despite living in a pretty Asian/Mexican suburb of California with few AA's.

Is it a cultural thing? I know accent isn't biological but I do wonder why people say African Americans and Black Americans seem in a large part to retain their accents.

Even thinking of the "whitest sounding" newscaster, George Howell on CNN local in Atlanta...there's still a hint of non-neutrality that you can hear.
Probably because it leads to fewer questions of them.

They aren't accused of "acting white" or putting on airs by other African Americans, and white folk don't make it awkward either. Makes it simpler to check out at the grocery store. If I had to guess.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
There must be something that you are not aware of. I remember going to a party where virtually everyone at the party was from Ghana, and everyone spoke with a British accent.

The logical point is accents come from the people around you. Your Ethiopian relatives must have some AA influence on them to learn to speak AAVE.

AAVE is very closely related to Southern English common before the civil war.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Probably because it leads to fewer questions of them.

They aren't accused of "acting white" or putting on airs by other African Americans, and white folk don't make it awkward either. Makes it simpler to check out at the grocery store. If I had to guess.
In my experience as a black person, most times when a black person is accused of "acting" or "talking/speaking" white, it is from a white person, not a black person. The only person who ever told me I "spoke like a white girl" and had a "white girl name" was a white teacher. And please note I grew up in what would be considered "the ghetto." I was also an honors student and in gifted programs through 12th grade. Other black students did not ridicule me for being smart. They'd rather I do their homework/work for them lol, the ones who weren't very good students.

It is a myth that other black Americans abuse/tease other black people for "acting white" in regards to speaking standard English. Nearly all of us speak standard English and just code switch to BVE/AAVE when appropriate.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
There must be something that you are not aware of. I remember going to a party where virtually everyone at the party was from Ghana, and everyone spoke with a British accent.

The logical point is accents come from the people around you. Your Ethiopian relatives must have some AA influence on them to learn to speak AAVE.

AAVE is very closely related to Southern English common before the civil war.
AAVE/BVE was spoken in northern areas prior to the civil war, particularly in Mid-Atlantic regions within free black communities, such as those in Philadelphia as well. Many linguists believe that it has its roots in a pidgin/creole language that was common the Caribbean and in sea island communities of the south, which are similar to each other. Many free blacks in 18th century PA and other northern communities had roots from the Caribbean since the West Indies was a primary source of slave labor. PA like many other northern states had a "gradual emancipation" of slavery after the Revolution and during that time period, AAVE/BVE was noted in newspapers in northern communities.

I remember in college my professor felt that people believe it is "southern" only because a majority of black Americans lived and still live in the south. But the pervasiveness of BVE in northern communities prior to the Civil War and the Great Migration give credence to the idea that it is not "southern" historically and is more likely rooted in creolization of dialects in the West Indies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy