U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:38 AM

5,234 posts, read 4,542,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
There is a newspaper article of how Elizabeth abandoned her children in 1925. It includes a picture of Elizabeth. Like I say, PM me - I can't attach them here.
Excellent sleuthing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 11:54 AM

311 posts, read 342,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
1900 census:
Name: Ernest Cuny Age: 9 Birth Date: Dec 1892 Birthplace: Michigan Home in 1900: Springwells, Wayne, Michigan Street: Cottrell Avenue House Number: 13 Sheet Number: 8A Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation: 120 Family Number: 121
Race: White Gender: Male Relation to Head of House: Son
Marital Status: Single
Father's name: Louis E Cuny Father's Birthplace: Germany Mother's name: Veronica Cuny Mother's Birthplace: Michigan Occupation: At School Attended School: 5 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age
Louis E Cuny 30
Veronica Cuny 31
Ernest Cuny 9
Vera Cuny 2

He's also on FindaGrave and Ancestry has 1910 census (I expect censuses also available on Family Search) draft cards and other docs.

Thank you. I feel like an idiot...I meant info on August Cuny. Too many Ernest, Victor, August names.

I have no info on Louis' parents. August and Catherine Vasbender..

You are a lot better at this than I am. I really appreciate it. If I could. I would give you like the Golden Rep award!!!

Last edited by MichaelBC; 01-07-2018 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-07-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I do not think the SSDI you attached to Elizabeth is the correct record for her: https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...09&usePUB=true

If she was born in 1898 as per the 1920 census, then a birth year of 1914 is very likely too far off to be her. That would make it impossible for her to have been married in 1916. Additionally, the woman in the SSDI record appears to be well researched as this woman: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/54741925

Elizabeth “Libby” Shufelt Pedersen
BIRTH 12 Nov 1914 Windham, Greene County, New York, USA
DEATH 15 Feb 1989 Chiefland, Levy County, Florida, USA
BURIAL Ebenezer Baptist Church Cemetery Chiefland, Levy County, Florida, USA

Remember, getting divorced doesn't necessarily mean a woman went back to her maiden name.

Don't I know this, lol my ex kept my last name until she remarried.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:59 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,844,839 times
You may have to visit France to get more info or review a Ancestry World subscription:

Last edited by jiminnm; 01-02-2019 at 10:43 AM..

Old 01-07-2018, 02:11 PM

9,267 posts, read 14,330,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBC View Post
Thank you. I feel like an idiot...I meant info on August Cuny. Too many Ernest, Victor, August names.

I have no info on Louis' parents. August and Catherine Vasbender..
They are marked as private in your tree so we can't see anything on them. Click on "Edit" in the upper right and then select "Quick Edit" to change their status from Living to Deceased, that will make their info visible to us.

Unfortunately, European records available online are hit and miss. You are likely not finding anything on them because Ancestry doesn't have anything from that area for that time period.

I see Louis is from Strassburg, which is in Alsace. Although now a part of France, it was at various points in history a part of Germany.

The good new is that civil records for Strassburg are available on microfilm for the era you need. The bad news is microfilm is no longer available for ordering and these particular films haven't yet been digitized. These are the birth records: https://www.familysearch.org/search/...tory%20Library - some of them have been indexed, but not 1864. Until they are digitized, you can only access them at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. So I would bookmark the collection and keep an eye on it for when it gets digitized (they are in the process of digitizing everything).

These are the marriage records: https://www.familysearch.org/search/...tory%20Library

And deaths: https://www.familysearch.org/search/...tory%20Library

Old 01-08-2018, 03:36 AM

Quote:
I do not think the SSDI you attached to Elizabeth is the correct record for her: https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...09&usePUB=true

If she was born in 1898 as per the 1920 census, then a birth year of 1914 is very likely too far off to be her. That would make it impossible for her to have been married in 1916. Additionally, the woman in the SSDI record appears to be well researched as this woman: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/54741925

Elizabeth “Libby” Shufelt Pedersen
BIRTH 12 Nov 1914 Windham, Greene County, New York, USA
DEATH 15 Feb 1989 Chiefland, Levy County, Florida, USA
BURIAL Ebenezer Baptist Church Cemetery Chiefland, Levy County, Florida, USA

Remember, getting divorced doesn't necessarily mean a woman went back to her maiden name.

I am not 100% certain on Elizabeth's dates. I cannot find out from family. But I do know that my grandpa Victor (August's son) lived and died in Chiefland, FL. I think I remember someone saying that Elizabeth's family had money. If this is true than I cannot believe she is the same girl that was in the Orphanage in Connecticut.
I wish I could find a marriage license or something to verify her. I will keep digging and I will continue to try and ask family.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBC View Post
I am not 100% certain on Elizabeth's dates. I cannot find out from family.
Regardless, she is not the one who died Feb 1989, because that woman was married to G Anker Pedersen - their paired gravestones prove it. It would be quite a coincidence if your Elizabeth's second marriage (and we don't even know she did marry a second time) was to someone with the same surname as her maiden name. That kind of thing does happen occasionally but we have no reason to assume that's the case here when we don't even know if your Elizabeth did marry a second time. Find A Grave also suggests the Elizabeth who died in Feb 1989 in Chiefland, FL was from New York and her maiden name was Shufelt. A quick search of her on Ancestry brings up plenty of records which support this. Here's her SS Application/Claims index: https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...try&h=28466875 - the dates prove it's the same woman from the SSDI but this one shows her parents names, proving her maiden name was Shufelt, not Pedersen. They are definitely different women.

Quote:
But I do know that my grandpa Victor (August's son) lived and died in Chiefland, FL.
That doesn't mean Elizabeth ever lived there though. She and Ernest August divorced in 1940, and the divorce was filed in Michigan, which suggests Ernest August was still living in Michigan at the time. If the children stayed with their father after the divorce, and it was Ernest August who moved to Florida (which we know he did from his Florida obituary) after the divorce, then it's entirely possible Victor lived in Chiefland, FL with his father, but his mother never lived there.

Quote:
I think I remember someone saying that Elizabeth's family had money. If this is true than I cannot believe she is the same girl that was in the Orphanage in Connecticut.
Elizabeth was not necessarily in an orphanage, that was her sister Helen. I am not 100% sure those were the correct family, but it does seem like the most promising lead. Try not to get too hung up on what family has told you, especially when they don't seem to know much themselves, or seem reluctant to talk about it.

Quote:
I wish I could find a marriage license or something to verify her. I will keep digging and I will continue to try and ask family.
Like I say, order the divorce record, it will likely tell you more about Elizabeth and their marriage. Many marriage and divorce records aren't online.

You can order the divorce records from the Michigan Department of Community Health, Division for Vital Records and Health Statistics. I recommend you order by mail, because the only online service is VitalChek, which will massively overcharge you: MDHHS - Order A Record by Mail

Oddly, their marriage doesn't seem to appear in the Connecticut marriage index available online, which means it either wasn't reported to the state or they married somewhere else (contrary to what the divorce index seems to say). So I would order the divorce record and see if it tells you more about where they were married and therefore give you an idea of where to look from there.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:27 PM

2,153 posts, read 1,023,094 times
To find info about Elizabeth find Elizabeth and Ernest's marriage record and see if it shows her parents. I show they got married in New Haven ERNEST CUNY ELISABETH PETERSON 1916-08-12 NEW HAVEN. Contact the New Haven Town Clerk's office for a copy of the marriage certificate. Since the marriage is in New Haven, I believe that PA2UK is correct in his/her findings.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
To find info about Elizabeth find Elizabeth and Ernest's marriage record and see if it shows her parents. I show they got married in New Haven ERNEST CUNY ELISABETH PETERSON 1916-08-12 NEW HAVEN. Contact the New Haven Town Clerk's office for a copy of the marriage certificate. Since the marriage is in New Haven, I believe that PA2UK is correct in his/her findings.
That's interesting, where did you find it? It wasn't in https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=61367

Old 01-15-2018, 01:22 PM

2,153 posts, read 1,023,094 times
Quote:
That's interesting, where did you find it? It wasn't in https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=61367
Maybe familysearch, I don't remember. I usually use either familysearch or ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or