U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:50 AM

7,178 posts, read 3,993,153 times

Advertisements

Trying to trace her family back to Italy. Mom told me her Grandma's maiden name was spelled Lacico. She was born in Italy but married in NYC and all her children were born there too.
Ancestry comes up with no information at all, other than Census Records with Great-Grandpa's surname, her first name, and their children. Nothing else. My Grandpa's Italian Surname spelling isn't the problem.

I get more hits on her with Family Search which brings up birth records on all their children. They list her as their Mother but her Maiden name is not even close. All records show her Maiden name as Laino for all her children. The source sited is NYC Birth Records Index with Film Numbers Listed. No image available. Subject to the interpretation of whoever copied the film records?

I have my Grandparent's Original Church Marriage Certificate from 1918 written in cursive in Italian. It clearly says Great-Grandma's Maiden name was Lacico. However, their female Witness was a Maria Laccio. Very close spellings. Generally speaking, Witnesses to a Marriage (Maid of Honor/Best Man) were family members or very close friends. If I do a general search, I get far more "hits" with Laccio than Lacico. Priest made the error?

I do not know where to go from here? Fork out a lot of money and write to NYC Vital Records for either my Grandpa's Birth Certificate or Grandparents Civil Marriage License?

Last edited by Jo48; 01-09-2018 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 03:37 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,167,306 times
Question Ellis Island records

Have you tried Ellis Island records at https://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html

There are 5 LACCIOs listed, no LACICOs

Name Origin Age Born Arrived
1 Laccio, Anna 55 1838-1839 1894

2 Laccio, Giovanni 15 1878-1879 1894

3 Laccio, Michele Biccari, Italy 27 1893-1894 1921

4 Laccio, Pasquale Potenza, Italy 24 1896-1897 1921

5 Laccio Corrao, Marianna Ventimiglia, Sicily 23 1887-1888 1911

Good Luck........

Old 01-09-2018, 04:48 PM

From Census Records after she was married with children, she listed her immigration date as 1879 when she would have been 14 years old and came with parents. That time period would have put her arrival at Castle Garden (The Battery), NY, not Ellis Island. Unfortunately, the immigrant listings for there are not as extensive as Ellis Island.

I do think I will concentrate my research on that Laccio surname not the Lacico or Laino.

Thank you for trying to help.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:26 PM

5,240 posts, read 4,547,963 times
It depends on. the search engine but some will take a partial last name or the letters you know plus an asterisk.

So also try just Lac or Lac*

This has worked well for me when I have various potential spellings to work with.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,036,581 times
Be aware Family Search isn't always correct. It sounds like you already found that out.

Is the marriage certificate you have say anything about their religion? You assume catholic? So can you find a catholic church there in NYC and see what records they have? Maybe they were members of the congregation. Did the marriage certificate list birthplaces in Italy? Was your grandfather from Italy, too or American born?

Did the census list a profession?
If I were you, I'd look at the census itself. Are you doing that or just what someone transcribed from the census? You will see what county they live in so then you can look at a map of that time period and find a local church.
The census is done by going dwelling by dwelling, street by street. Usually people settled in family groups. You may have in-laws or cousins living near them. They probably settled in an area that speaks Italian. They left their country but want to settle where they can be understood.

You could search out historical information on the area for that time frame and concentrate on Italian groups.

Are their deaths too early for SS Death index?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,036,581 times
The investment in vital records is worth every penny. They save tons of research and are the real deal, final answer. No guessing, it's all laid out, no one else's research or a mistake. If you have all the information to write for a vital record, then do it. It's amazing the feeling you get seeing your ancestor's signature. To have solid proof that your ancestor is who you always though he/she was.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:58 PM

6,522 posts, read 2,930,390 times
This is an online file for Italians to the US, 1855-1900: https://aad.archives.gov/aad/display...t=25915%20desc.

There are two 14 year old females under the name Laino but I can’t find the dates!

Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 AM

9,269 posts, read 14,335,220 times
Would it really cost that much to order their civil marriage record from the city? Vital records aren't normally more than about $20. Of course, it may not list her parents names or town of birth but it's worth looking into.

What about her death certificate? That should at least list her parent's names, which may help you track down her passenger list since she supposedly came over with her parents.

Without more specific names and dates, we can't help with research, only recommend where to look next.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
This is an online file for Italians to the US, 1855-1900: https://aad.archives.gov/aad/display...t=25915%20desc.

There are two 14 year old females under the name Laino but I can’t find the dates!
Great-Grandma's name was Domenica Maria. I know women interchanged their first and middle names. Grandma went from Maria Anna to Anna Maria many times. There is a 13 year old Maria. Women also have changed their ages also. The key would be the dates when they arrived in the USA.

Edit: You have to be flexible with these names, including first names. My Grandma was born Maria Anna but during WW2 she Americanized even her first name to Anne to not be so "Italian". She told me this herself. If you look up her official Death Certificate or Social Security, it will say Anne not Maria Anna. So much for "Official" records.

Last edited by Jo48; 01-10-2018 at 11:24 AM..

Old 01-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Be aware Family Search isn't always correct. It sounds like you already found that out.

Is the marriage certificate you have say anything about their religion? You assume catholic? So can you find a catholic church there in NYC and see what records they have? Maybe they were members of the congregation. Did the marriage certificate list birthplaces in Italy? Was your grandfather from Italy, too or American born?

Did the census list a profession?
If I were you, I'd look at the census itself. Are you doing that or just what someone transcribed from the census? You will see what county they live in so then you can look at a map of that time period and find a local church.
The census is done by going dwelling by dwelling, street by street. Usually people settled in family groups. You may have in-laws or cousins living near them. They probably settled in an area that speaks Italian. They left their country but want to settle where they can be understood.

You could search out historical information on the area for that time frame and concentrate on Italian groups.

Are their deaths too early for SS Death index?
No. I am almost 70 and lived the patterns. There were Italian neighborhoods (Little Italy). My Italian Grandparents lived in that parish and were married in the local Catholic Church (Our Lady of Pompeii). My Mom was baptized and married there. I went there a few times as a child to one of their Italian spoken Masses.

My Dad was from an Irish neighborhood and his parents were married in the local Irish neighborhood Church (St. Joseph). Dad went to their parish school. I was baptized in Dad's parish church and went to their Catholic School. I was married in that church also despite then living in a different borough. My family, and me, had a family history with that church so they said I could be married there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or