Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 08:27 PM

416 posts, read 588,122 times

Advertisements

I figured somewhere along my Revolutionary lines that I'd be eligible for the Jamestowne Society, and found out recently that I am. I was really jazzed about that, until I saw the membership fee and about fainted... $400???

Now, granted, I've probably blown that in two years in the DAR, but not in one shot. Whoa!

Has anyone here done it? Is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 06:17 PM

109 posts, read 78,452 times
I haven’t initiated the membership process, but I am eligible. I know two people who are members and they are glad they joined. I agree that the fee is steep, but it is my understanding that it is a one time fee. There aren’t continuous annual dues. When looked at like that, it’s actually cheaper than long term memberships in other lineage societies. I’m not totally sure about the one time fee thing. You would have to check. You may also need to check to see if you need a sponsor or current member support to apply.

If it’s important for you to leave a genealogical trail for posterity for your family, lineage society memberships can be nice. Decades down the road, future relatives have the ability to be aware of their heritage based on the official hoops you jumped through to prove them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy