U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:23 PM

50,194 posts, read 39,851,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Not sure if it’s based on British tradition, but it’s fairly common in the South to name kids after the mother’s maiden name, especially sons. The mother’s maiden name is often used as a son’s middle name.
Or as a daughter's middle name as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 07:43 PM

8,135 posts, read 4,438,811 times
My Irish ancestors lost several infants shortly after birth and they reused the names, which makes it hard to document births. There was a strong sense that some names were unlucky so they were careful not to exactly repeat names that they figured were unlucky. If they used an unlucky name they called the child by a different name. My aunt used the made up name in the family but her given (unlucky) name with non family people.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:09 PM

7,617 posts, read 3,523,981 times
[quote=hellpaso;50849449]Not sure if it’s based on British tradition, but it’s fairly common in the South to name kids after the mother’s maiden name, especially sons. The mother’s maiden name is often used as a son’s middle name.[/QUOTE

True.

But, this was an article about how all children from the first on down were named after specific relatives. There apparently was a pattern specific to the British Isles and/or Scotch/Irish traditions on how each child was named.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:15 PM

134 posts, read 135,724 times
I was named for no one in my family, being born in America. (Although I do have a patronymic surname unique for my family but appropriate for my ethnic tradition.) My family did follow the naming traditions, my uncle was named for his father's father, my father was named for his mother's father, my eldest aunt was named for her mother's mother (notice a skip here?) and then my youngest aunt was just named a random name, making my grandfather's family furious, lol. They were like "did you just pull that out of the air?" My grandmother HATED her mother in law, and at point knocked her down during an argument over a butterchurn. Ah, rural village life. So idyllic.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:34 PM

7,136 posts, read 3,962,903 times
My husband's German family drove me crazy. Too many Phillips. Immigrant Great-Grandpa was a Phillip. He named his eldest son Phillip. Of course Son Phillip named his eldest son Phillip.

Problem? Great-Grandpa's wife passed away when his children were grown. He married again and named his eldest son from that marriage PHILLIP too. He had a Son Phillip, a Grandson Phillip, and a Son from a second marriage also Phillip. His Grandson Phillip and Son Phillip from Second Marriage were only two years apart in age. Drove me CRAZY trying to sort out all these Phillips in Census Records. Yes, they all had middle names. Did they use them in official documents? NO!!!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:21 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,590,181 times
[quote=Blondy;50857611]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Not sure if it’s based on British tradition, but it’s fairly common in the South to name kids after the mother’s maiden name, especially sons. The mother’s maiden name is often used as a son’s middle name.[/QUOTE

True.

But, this was an article about how all children from the first on down were named after specific relatives. There apparently was a pattern specific to the British Isles and/or Scotch/Irish traditions on how each child was named.
Given Names and Naming Patterns - Genealogy.com

I think this is what you were looking for?

Old 01-29-2018, 11:39 PM

633 posts, read 433,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I find it very interesting is some families' names (first & middle) are repeated over and over again while less so in other families. So my question to you is were you named after someone in your family and if not how did your parents choose your name (first & middle names)?
I was named after a great uncle who died of cancer about 2 or 3 months before I was born.

My grandfather's and father's middle name was the first name of a great-great-great-uncle who was a prominent doctor in the community. The same g-g-g uncle founded the first VA hospital in his home state shortly after World War I.

This is a mystery in my tree that I have not solved: I believe that I am somehow related to Martin Van Buren, the 8th president. I have more than 15 distant cousins and great uncles in my direct line who were named after Martin Van Buren between 1840 and 1910. This is weird since Van Buren was not exactly a great president. (Why was my family obsessed with him?) Almost every first-born male was named either "Martin Van Buren Smith" or "Van Buren Smith." They were frequently called "Van" for short. (BTW, my last name is not Smith.)

If I am related to Martin Van Buren, then the relationship lies in the mid- to late 1700's--before census records. I have not been able to find enough records to prove this, but it's definitely strange that my family was so obsessed with a minor president.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:40 PM

335 posts, read 197,586 times
My parents were not the smartest when it came to naming children. No one would have dared name their child what we got named so I doubt anyway will carry on our names!

Old 01-31-2018, 07:11 PM

3,974 posts, read 3,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
I was named after a great uncle who died of cancer about 2 or 3 months before I was born.

My grandfather's and father's middle name was the first name of a great-great-great-uncle who was a prominent doctor in the community. The same g-g-g uncle founded the first VA hospital in his home state shortly after World War I.

This is a mystery in my tree that I have not solved: I believe that I am somehow related to Martin Van Buren, the 8th president. I have more than 15 distant cousins and great uncles in my direct line who were named after Martin Van Buren between 1840 and 1910. This is weird since Van Buren was not exactly a great president. (Why was my family obsessed with him?) Almost every first-born male was named either "Martin Van Buren Smith" or "Van Buren Smith." They were frequently called "Van" for short. (BTW, my last name is not Smith.)

If I am related to Martin Van Buren, then the relationship lies in the mid- to late 1700's--before census records. I have not been able to find enough records to prove this, but it's definitely strange that my family was so obsessed with a minor president.
Maybe... maybe not. Naming males after presidents and other famous males was quite common in my family. My family knew Daniel Boone, but we were not descended from him although it is possible there are marriage ties to his relatives. We have several with the middle name 'Boone' or 'Daniel Boone'. I've seen several president names as first and middle names like 'Andrew Jackson', 'Millard Fillmore', 'Washington', etc.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:16 PM

202 posts, read 153,693 times
I was named (both first and middle) after a diner. My parents saw the name of the dinner which was a female first and middle name and liked it and named me. I never liked the name that much so I've used a nickname (bestowed to me by me when I went away to school) for many years.

But, it could have been far worse. My parents had a friend who had suggested to them that they name me Bobette. They actually liked it (shudder) and planned to name me that until they saw the diner's name. The friend, though, always called me Bobette whenever she saw me because she decided it was my true name. She refused to accept that my parents had chosen a different name. I guess if I had been bestowed with Bobette I would have been called Bobbie (I hope).

Oh - one interesting thing. I'm adopted but have searched and found my birthparents. My paternal grandfather was born in the late 1800s and was the 4th son. He was simply called Boy until he arrived at school. The teacher asked him his name and he said "Boy" and she wrote down "Boyd" and that was what he was thereafter called. There was one later son born while Boyd was a teenager (this was in addition to a bunch of sisters). It was that son - the fifth - who was named after his father. That was different. I guess they had run out of names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy