Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:44 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

I find it very interesting is some families' names (first & middle) are repeated over and over again while less so in other families. So my question to you is were you named after someone in your family and if not how did your parents choose your name (first & middle names)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 01:01 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
I am named for my grandmother's brother. In many Jewish families, babies are named for someone who has recently passed. In America, many of us have Jewish/Hebrew names and English names. The English name may or may not relate to the Jewish name.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:50 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I find it very interesting is some families' names (first & middle) are repeated over and over again while less so in other families. So my question to you is were you named after someone in your family and if not how did your parents choose your name (first & middle names)?
My middle name was my paternal grandmother's last name, also carried by my uncle as a middle name. My first name was decided upon over a lobster dinner and some wine. My parents thought it sounded "cool." I would have much rather had a family legacy first name, but too late to change now.

Still, this is a better story than my younger brother, whose first name was picked because it started with the same first letter as mine. His middle name was picked so his initials would spell a word.

My wife's family is from Greece, so she and her brothers are named after their grandparents per the naming tradition.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:11 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I was given my dad's sister's nickname--not her whole name.
Mom was Catholic, so insisted on a saint's name for each of us as well, so that's my middle name.

My oldest brother got my dad's Marine Corp nickname as a middle name.

my other brothers got first or middle names from uncles, and my sister's middle name is my dad's first name.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:16 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I am named for my grandmother's brother. In many Jewish families, babies are named for someone who has recently passed. In America, many of us have Jewish/Hebrew names and English names. The English name may or may not relate to the Jewish name.
This is true amongst most Ashkenazi Jews. However, Sephardic Jews name after living relatives.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:07 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
i was told, first son named after father, second son, mother side, third son, father dad, forth son mother side.

and also because some babies did not live pass one, they kept reusing the name, some did not get named till after a year

Old 01-18-2018, 09:11 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
My name means "Handsome Prince" and it came out of thin air...not named after anyone. Supposedly it's Gaelic/French. Still waiting for my crown. My late uncle's middle name was an old family name dating back to the 1650s (Huguenots) but I seriously doubt that people knew where it came from....he was a junior and the last to carry the name. The old family naming patterns are sometimes helpful in breaking down brick walls in genealogy.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 AM

4,864 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Many families in my ancestry repeated the same given names over generations, as did related families. It makes research a little tricky to sort out. That practice generally ended in the late 1800s or early 1900s. I notice that in the 1700s and 1800s it was common to use the mother's maiden name as a name of a child.

I have two or three generations in my mother's line where most of the males were called in life by their middle names and rarely used their given names. That seemed to end with my grandfather's generation.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:37 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
and also because some babies did not live pass one, they kept reusing the name, some did not get named till after a year
My Italian grandmother had the same name as her 2-years-older sister who didn't survive.

Nonna used her sister's birth certificate to emigrate to the US--you had to be at least a certain age, so Nonna got a couple extra years.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:48 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,303,489 times
My name is Matthew Allen Langley.

My first name was chosen for the first book of the New Testament, my father was a Southern Baptist pastor at one point so they were very religious, if not very original lol.

My middle name Allen was named after my father's middle name. He didn't know where it came from though through genealogy I discovered my grandfather had an Allen surnamed grandmother who was alive and likely met or knew during his life. So pretty sure that's the source.

Turns out my Allen ancestry was interesting too, leading to a Charles Allen Esquire who was a founder of Laurens South Carolina. Before serving in the Revolution apparently he hid a Revolutionary soldier and was hanged (possibly multiple times) by the infamous Bloody Bill Cunningham but never revealed his location.

His ancestry is also very interesting, never knew my Allen middle name was more than something random.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy