Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 8,370 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for months on my biological grandfathers parents and all I’ve seem to find is that they lived in Scott county Virginia after his dad moved from Forneys creek in Swain county, North Carolina. His dad was born in 1902 and was married twice, once to a Begley and then to a Crabtree. If anyone knows what I’m missing and could help me then it would help tremendously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 02:37 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,809,722 times
You haven't given us much to work from. Your grandfather's name? Date/place of birth? If deceased, date/place of death? Do you know his parents' names? Also we don't know what's missing because we don't know what you know and what you want to know.

Around 1900, census reports should be available and informative. The 1890 census is an exception since most of those records were destroyed by fire. There are a number of places to access census reports. FamilySearch.org is a good, no-fee place to start.

Do you have access to Ancestry? For a quick start, use Ancestry's Search tab to search under "Public Member Trees", entering your grandfather's name or his parent's names if you have them. For God's sake, don't take those trees as gospel, but they can provide some excellent hints for further research and confirmation.

Ancestry's Message Boards (under the Help tab) can also be helpful. There are forums for just about every existing surname, as well as for essentially every county in the USA. Post a new thread in the correct forums asking for help, but include as much specific info as possible. Also, within the correct forums, use the search feature to see if anyone else may have already asked questions related to your family. The Message Boards do not always deliver, but if you get lucky they can lead to a gold mine of information.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:07 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,678,305 times
Need full names and what sources you used to find your information. I agree, check the census. There may be county records. Church. Write for vital records in VA and NC.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:01 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,488,754 times
If you want help here post everything you know & have found, so researchers can both verify your findings & look for additional information for you.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:55 AM

322 posts, read 707,911 times
Also, we are a Bagley family and learned early on that Begley and Bagley are often interchanged on census reports.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM

54 posts, read 50,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MossyPine View Post
I have been searching for months on my biological grandfathers parents and all I’ve seem to find is that they lived in Scott county Virginia after his dad moved from Forneys creek in Swain county, North Carolina. His dad was born in 1902 and was married twice, once to a Begley and then to a Crabtree. If anyone knows what I’m missing and could help me then it would help tremendously.
The way that you asked the question, makes me think you are looking for a direction and not specifics because you did not provide enough information to help you. How are you currently going about doing your research? Are you on any ancestry sites like Family Search, WIKI, Ancestry? The ancestry sites are getting better and better, and with a minimal amount of input, you can get a tremendous amount of information . If you are not on an ancestry site, I would use one of those as a tool. You can get onto some sites for free and others for a specific time before you need a membership.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:52 PM

4,974 posts, read 5,238,098 times
We are missing a lot of info. Using what info, you have I would look at the 1910 census. See what info you can find and then go back and look at the parents on the 1900 Census. Most of the 1890 census records were destroyed. You can can try to look for family in the 1880 census. Look for marriage records.

Death records will often have parents names. You could look for them. Also, look for obituaries in local papers. Follow up on siblings, sometimes you can't find info for your direct ancestors, but if you follow up on the brothers and sisters, you will get the info you need or find something really interesting. Their obituaries and death records may have the missing info.

I had a six month subscription to newspapers.com. I found out some things I didn't know by searching for names and different name spellings.

Familysearch.com is a good source of free info.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:49 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,350,728 times
things i hate about genealogy is, its all hurry up and wait, even with dna, hurry up and wait for someone to match.
I got tons and tons of information but still no closer than i was in 1985, 33 years ago

Old 01-31-2018, 06:32 AM

3 posts, read 8,370 times
My grandfather was William Robert Adams born 2-2-1902 in Swain county North Carolina to John L Adams but Williams two marriages have his dad having two different middle initial of L or T but John was married to a Florence Woodered(Woodard) and I haven’t been able to find any information outside of marriage certificates tying him to his Parents.He was said to have a brother possibly named a Henry

Old 01-31-2018, 11:30 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,488,754 times
William Robert Adam's 1980 Virginia death certificate says his father was William Adams and mother was Velveeta Marlee. Informant was his wife Eltie Crabtree Adams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy