Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 12:33 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times

Advertisements

My Grandma took the DNA test and got her results. A little background- my Grandma is full Mexican (both her parents are from Mexico), but we always figured she was a mix of Native American and Spaniard. In her results she had both Native American (from Mexico) and Iberian Peninsula DNA. Not shocking. But in addition, she had 8% South Asian (India, Pakistan, etc) and 20% Southern European (Italy/Greece) along with numerous trace regions.

So I guess my question is, how common is Italian/Greek ancestry in Mexico? Same with South Asian? Was there a time when India (or other neighboring countries) invaded Spain and settled there? Was there also a time when Italy or Greece may have invaded Spain, or was it common for a lot of them to immigrate directly to Mexico? I'm just curious on what the explanation could be on why she has this DNA even though her family was in Mexico for generations. This has me very intrigued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 01:00 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
My Grandma took the DNA test and got her results. A little background- my Grandma is full Mexican (both her parents are from Mexico), but we always figured she was a mix of Native American and Spaniard. In her results she had both Native American (from Mexico) and Iberian Peninsula DNA. Not shocking. But in addition, she had 8% South Asian (India, Pakistan, etc) and 20% Southern European (Italy/Greece) along with numerous trace regions.

So I guess my question is, how common is Italian/Greek ancestry in Mexico? Same with South Asian? Was there a time when India (or other neighboring countries) invaded Spain and settled there? Was there also a time when Italy or Greece may have invaded Spain, or was it common for a lot of them to immigrate directly to Mexico? I'm just curious on what the explanation could be on why she has this DNA even though her family was in Mexico for generations. This has me very intrigued.
Keep in mind that Spain has had a Muslim and South Asian population for hundreds of years, as well as Greeks and Italians who settled there. Populations in Europe were pretty fluid. Which test did she take? Was it mtDNA or Autosomal?

In the meantime, this seems pretty informative.... http://www.nuestrosranchos.com/en/node/23548

Old 01-26-2018, 02:23 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Keep in mind that Spain has had a Muslim and South Asian population for hundreds of years, as well as Greeks and Italians who settled there. Populations in Europe were pretty fluid. Which test did she take? Was it mtDNA or Autosomal?

In the meantime, this seems pretty informative.... Italian Ancestry in Jalisco | Nuestros Ranchos
It was ancestry dna so Autosomal.

Also, that is an interesting link, its the region our dna showed as being from (Zacatecas & Aguascalientes). I wonder if its a distant cousin.

Last edited by xboxmas; 01-26-2018 at 02:37 AM..

Old 01-26-2018, 08:38 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:

There was Italian immigration to Mexico, there is even still a Venetian dialect spoken in Mexico: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexica...ropean_descent

However, it's just as possible that the Southern European results are simply a part of her Iberian ancestry. The Mediterranean is a very mixed area and shares a lot of DNA, making it difficult sometimes to tell them apart.

As for South Asian, there has also been Asian immigration to Mexico: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Mexicans

Old 01-26-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:

In the meantime, this seems pretty informative.... Italian Ancestry in Jalisco | Nuestros Ranchos
mtDNA does not provide ethnicity percentages - anytime someone is talking about getting 20% of this region and 8% of that region in their DNA results, that's going to be autosomal DNA.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:53 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:

The south Asian component is not common in Spaniards I've only seen it a few times and I've seen hundreds of results from Spaniards and Latin Americans. The south Asian likely indicates some Gypsy ancestors and no it was not common for Gypsies to marry non-Gypsies. It's possible you may find records of this ancestry in Mexican records. I know that in Portugal for a period of time historically Gypsies were classified as an undesirable group and quite a few were forcibly moved to the colonies. I suspect that was the case for Spain as well.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:26 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
mtDNA does not provide ethnicity percentages - anytime someone is talking about getting 20% of this region and 8% of that region in their DNA results, that's going to be autosomal DNA.
Some mtDNA tests do provide this information. I had my mtDNA and Autosomal done through FTDNA. They offer an Ancestral Origins breakdown of your matches with others for mtDNA results. I thought maybe that was what the OP could have been referring to

Old 01-26-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Some mtDNA tests do provide this information. I had my mtDNA and Autosomal done through FTDNA. They offer an Ancestral Origins breakdown of your matches with others for mtDNA results. I thought maybe that was what the OP could have been referring to
No, mtDNA does not provide an ethnicity report (admixture) with percentages. The "Ancestral Origins" in mtDNA results are just percentages of how many of your mtDNA matches have a direct maternal lineage from those places, it's not an ethnicity report for yourself, nor does it mean you have any ancestry in those places. It's not the same as an ethnicity report/admixture, at all. It wouldn't be possible to get an ethnicity report/admixture from mtDNA to begin with, because mtDNA is only from the direct maternal line (ie, your mother's mother's mother's mother, etc), it's not your whole background.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:19 PM

834 posts, read 744,242 times
I second Gypsy - my grandmother had Italian, North African and South Asian & my father on the other side (but not his brother, so who knows) had South Asian and Middle

Old 01-26-2018, 10:02 PM

661 posts, read 880,685 times
Quote:

Mexicans are related to the people from the Philippines and Guam too. Especially mexicans from the Pacific Coast.
And people from the Philippines and Guam are related to Mexicans as well.
This is because of the Manila Galleon. The commerce ships from the Great Spanish Empire, they came from Spain and landed in Veracruz and transported everything by land to Acapulco and the Manila galleons sailed all the way to Manila and Guam and then Saipan and China, this cultural , commercial and political relation lasted for more than 300 years !!
Actually, people from Guam and the Philippines should be Hispanics, they are related to the Spanish Culture.
So, is not weird to find Asian DNA in mexicans. Or Spanish (European DNA) in people from the Philippines or Guam
You can wiki Manila Galleons to find more:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_galleon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy