Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:19 PM

54 posts, read 25,541 times

Advertisements

I'm having the hardest time finding anything on my grandfather. I been doing my family tree. When it comes to my father's father side I'm stuck. My grandfather passed before I was born.
I'm not on speaking teams with my father but even when we were he acted really odd on giving me info on him. All I know is his name and that he is from Kinston, NC. I don't have a birth date or death date. Am I sol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 06:12 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlamont21 View Post
I'm having the hardest time finding anything on my grandfather. I been doing my family tree. When it comes to my father's father side I'm stuck. My grandfather passed before I was born.
I'm not on speaking teams with my father but even when we were he acted really odd on giving me info on him. All I know is his name and that he is from Kinston, NC. I don't have a birth date or death date. Am I sol?
Have you tried looking on family search to see if there are any records or a tree on the family?

Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Do you have an idea of what state he died in? If so, I would look into ordering a copy of his death certificate, which is usually done from the state department of health. His death certificate should give you plenty of details to help you track down other records.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:15 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
I would start with the above mentioned familysearch dot org. It's a free site. You register with your name and an email, but you don't get spammed.

Census records start at 1940 and go back from there. Presumably, you know grandma's name so you might be able to find marriage records assuming they were married. Draft records may be available. There may be a tree.

Do you know if grandpa had any siblings? Search for them and explore their trees. It will take you back to your direct line.

I realize you are not on speaking terms with your dad. Do you have any aunts and uncles or cousins that you are speaking to? They may be able to provide some info. You can also do a dna test to possibly find some other trees or connect with other relatives who might have more info.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:48 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Mine was dead when I started. I am not sure how old your father is, but if he was born before 1940 then you might find the family on the 1940 Census. If he was after 1940 and you have the name then look for 1940 census information to see if you can find him with his family or perhaps married to your grandmother. You can use ancestry or familysearch to try and find him by estimating his age in a range. For example, if your dad was born in 1950 estimate his father's birth between 1910 and 1930. If you don't have an ancestry subscription and want to post his name your dad's name and the year your dad was born perhaps someone can see if he appears anywhere on ancestry. From there, once you have birth and death dates you can then contact Kinston, NC and request the birth and death certificates which should show more information like parents.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:09 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
This page has search tips for Lenoir County, NC
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...lina_Genealogy

And, Lenoir County's Genealogy Project
Lenoir County Genealogy Project

Old 02-02-2018, 04:51 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Quote:
Post what you know-

His name, location, spouse name (s), occupation, religion, race, military service, property ownership, etc.

Then timing for years to look during search-

-Year of your birth because you know he had died previous to that.
-Year of your father's birth.

If you would prefer, you may direct message me info by clicking on my user name. If you do that, add your father's name also & birthdate, birthplace & your grandother's name, any siblings or other relatives' names...

Kinston has only 20,000 people so unless it is a very common name, it should be do-able to find obit and then death certificate.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Have you tried looking on family search to see if there are any records or a tree on the family?

I tried ancesty.com but I will try family search.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I would start with the above mentioned familysearch dot org. It's a free site. You register with your name and an email, but you don't get spammed.

Census records start at 1940 and go back from there. Presumably, you know grandma's name so you might be able to find marriage records assuming they were married. Draft records may be available. There may be a tree.

Do you know if grandpa had any siblings? Search for them and explore their trees. It will take you back to your direct line.

I realize you are not on speaking terms with your dad. Do you have any aunts and uncles or cousins that you are speaking to? They may be able to provide some info. You can also do a dna test to possibly find some other trees or connect with other relatives who might have more info.

I'm not sure if he had siblings. My grandmother and grandfather only had my father together and never married.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Post what you know-

His name, location, spouse name (s), occupation, religion, race, military service, property ownership, etc.

Then timing for years to look during search-

-Year of your birth because you know he had died previous to that.
-Year of your father's birth.

If you would prefer, you may direct message me info by clicking on my user name. If you do that, add your father's name also & birthdate, birthplace & your grandother's name, any siblings or other relatives' names...

Kinston has only 20,000 people so unless it is a very common name, it should be do-able to find obit and then death certificate.
What i do know is his name is Clarence Foye. My father was born in Kinston so I assume my grandfather is from Kinston but not sure of his birth place. I'll dm you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy