U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 12:56 PM

12,923 posts, read 5,940,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I have never had my DNA tested, nor will I because I don't like what they do with your information when they have it. Once you submit the test, you no longer own your DNA...

https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releas...sleeper-serial
I haven't had mine tested either only because I doubt anything would come up that I don't already know. My parents are immigrants from the northeastern part of Italy from one region. All of my ancestors can be traced to there for centuries. I'd probably have a higher than average percentage of Neanderthal since that part of Italy in and near Tuscany traditionally has a higher than average percentage.
If it comes out that I have Native American DNA, then something would be wrong, very wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 12:56 PM

634 posts, read 537,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
So they can find criminals with DNA and that's bad? How? Bring it on.

But you can have your DNA sample destroyed and you can opt out of having your DNA used for medical research. I've allowed them to use my DNA on 23andMe for research. They let you know how it's used and you can read about the studies. Therefore you can know how you help scientists better understand medical issues. If something in my DNA can help alleviate my fellow humans' suffering, that's awesome.
I agree with you BJH
And my DNA files are at FTDNA, Ancestry, Gedmatch, The University of Saint Louis (DNALand), etc

Old 02-13-2018, 01:08 PM

730 posts, read 984,703 times
My father's recent DNA test revealed 1.4% North African. Does that mean I can live on the rez in Tunisia?

Old 02-13-2018, 01:54 PM

2,637 posts, read 1,104,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
This is kind of funny, some people are getting mad at their DNA results, when they discover they are not 100% Europeans:
Usually people take the tests hoping to find some ancestry that's not apparent. It's more common for people to be upset that their DNA comes back 100% European.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:38 PM

12,535 posts, read 22,525,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Are there companies to avoid and companies that people think are better, for testing your DNA?
See my thread //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post49250127. Ancestry is suggested by most because of their tree feature.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:43 PM

12,535 posts, read 22,525,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I have never had my DNA tested, nor will I because I don't like what they do with your information when they have it. Once you submit the test, you no longer own your DNA...

https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releas...sleeper-serial
If you read the article it states it was in CA's own DNA offender database. They didn't use ancestry or any of the private owned databases

Old 02-13-2018, 05:42 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,201,728 times
Not very long ago you just didn't talk about illegitimate births, or romps on the woodpile. In areas of my gene pool, such as French Canadian, there were NO WHITE WOMEN in "New France" other than nuns, and the wife of the "Monseignor". So, drum roll, where did all those babies come from?? The Roman Catholic church and the rest of the power elite didn't countenance even a discussion of the topic.

I have a country cousin who never met his grandparents, but I did when I was very young. He's on his way to be a Supreme Court judge in Canada, maybe by the tender age of fifty. Run his DNA and there just might be the FIRST FIRST NATIONS SC judge in the countries history. SURPRISE!!!!

Old 02-13-2018, 05:56 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,856,405 times
We ALL have ancestors way back who walked out of Africa. I'm human, that's the biggest thing I care about. Now if someday we find out that there were aliens from other planets who came to earth and intermarried, now THAT would be shocking! The U.S. is one of the most mixed heritage places ever. I'm certainly proud of that. Mutts...I kind of like that word!
Like most "white" southerners, I'm sure I have distant cousins who are African-American.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:26 PM

6,408 posts, read 3,005,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
That doesn't mean the tests are unreliable. Most people don't get how DNA recombines in different proportions with different relatives. See this video if you want some explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbmAt5bm34
The link I provided is for identical triplets, twins, and quads. This video explains why children with the same parents, who are not identical, have different DNA results, but it does not explain why DNA analysis of identical children is not identical.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:38 PM

10,194 posts, read 7,527,838 times
I did my kids (adopted) about 10 years ago. Over the 10 years, their results are updated and have changed. My child with a more diverse background changed the most. My child with a very limited background didn't really change at all.

No one I have run into has been 100% anything.

I am white...not a little bit. I am super white. I had my genealogy charted by a family member and it has me as white as white can be. I cant wait for my results to come in (8 weeks left). I think it will echo how freaking white I am...but interested to see if there is a variation. Still, I will hold my results until more is known about DNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or