Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 12:51 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Interesting !!
Here is my K-36 results:
Population
Amerindian 24.81
Arabian 0.76
Armenian 2.83
Basque 3.52
Central_African 1.01
Central_Euro 1.38
East_African -
East_Asian -
East_Balkan 0.77
East_Central_Asian 0.34
East_Central_Euro 3.44
East_Med 0.70
Eastern_Euro 1.30
Fennoscandian 0.97
French 1.69
Iberian 12.76
Indo-Chinese -
Italian 11.29
Malayan -
Near_Eastern 4.55
North_African 4.26
North_Atlantic 5.29
North_Caucasian -
North_Sea 3.45
Northeast_African -
Oceanian -
Omotic 0.48
Pygmy -
Siberian 2.19
South_Asian -
South_Central_Asian -
South_Chinese -
Volga-Ural 0.33
West_African 7.53
West_Caucasian -
West_Med 4.36

You don't have a West Caucasian component which is interesting I have 5.16. There was a historical Alani(an Iran group allied with the Suebi) in the 5th century to Western Iberia. This component is corroborated by a rare J1 subclade found in my genetic population I belong to from Portugal, it is also found in the North of Iran. The remains of Proto-Alani have been tested and Y-DNA has yielded some interesting results including two Sarmatian samples from the second-third centuries which are J1-M267 in 2015 by the Institute of Archeology in Moscow. However if the refined the testing the results would be much more useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 01:12 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Thank you and it is a strange situation, but it's not devastating for me like I imagine it would be for some people. I loved my father and he was a good dad, but I never felt super close to him. He was a WWII vet and a functioning alcoholic and pretty closed off as a person. We had very few heart-to-heart moments.

And you're right that it's hard to know which of us may have a different father. It's possible that we both have different fathers. The dad who raised us was shot in the low hip area during WWII and my mother told me that doctors at the time told him that he would not be able to have children. She said they were surprised when she got pregnant.

I'm going to do another test on Ancestry.com and see if I can find DNA relatives there who have family trees. That may shed some light on things.

And I'm not really sure on the whole Jewish DNA thing and religion v. ethnicity, but I bet someone on here can shed some light on that. I'm guessing that it's because European Jews were insular for a long time and thus share DNA that others don't. I just know that my results say I'm 50% Ashkenazi Jew and my daughter is 25%.

See my thread //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post49250127 so that you and your brother can upload to my heritage, GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis for free ethnicity and family matching and FTDNA for free family matching. See what those sites say.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:45 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
See my thread //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post49250127 so that you and your brother can upload to my heritage, GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis for free ethnicity and family matching and FTDNA for free family matching. See what those sites say.
I will. Thank you.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:38 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
You don't have a West Caucasian component which is interesting I have 5.16. There was a historical Alani(an Iran group allied with the Suebi) in the 5th century to Western Iberia. This component is corroborated by a rare J1 subclade found in my genetic population I belong to from Portugal, it is also found in the North of Iran. The remains of Proto-Alani have been tested and Y-DNA has yielded some interesting results including two Sarmatian samples from the second-third centuries which are J1-M267 in 2015 by the Institute of Archeology in Moscow. However if the refined the testing the results would be much more useful.
I guess West Caucasians and North Caucasians are people from Central Russia?

Old 02-14-2018, 03:37 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
We are all pretty much same DNA makeup.
True, but peopela re not taking these tests to confirm that they are human. I mean Humnas share 99% of DNA with an apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know why. I'd be rather proud if I had some Jewish lineage. In school, the Jewish kids were always among the smartest too
Well, those are the Ashkenazim. The Sephardics Jews and Mizrahim are taking shop with the rest of us. /s

Old 02-14-2018, 06:27 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I guess West Caucasians and North Caucasians are people from Central Russia?
They're genetic populations found in the Russian Caucasus they're not ethnic Russians.

North Ossetia-Alania.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ossetia-Alania

Old 02-14-2018, 07:52 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
And, maybe I am not as enlightened, but I always thought being Jewish was a religion not an ethnicity?
Jewish people tend to be very endogamous which means they're actually one of the most genetic distinct groups of Europe.

This chart shows how closely related different genetic groups of Europe are to one another. The closer the dots, the more genetically similar they are. Note how only the European Jews are set far apart from the rest of Europe, yet tightly packed among themselves.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:42 PM

3,851 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
My computer wouldn't play the video at that site. In case anyone else has that issue here it is on the Today Show's youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNiEBnOzgVw
The most striking thing about this story is the fact that her mother was still "passing" in 1997, afraid that people would discover her.

What did she think was going to happen to her in the 90s? She could have been a white lady that had some black ancestry and no one would have cared. It would have probably been an interesting story to tell somebody.

Old people from that generation didn't realize that the world changed around them. Their mind stayed in the 50s. I notice the exact same thing in my family. They thought all the race concepts from the Jim Crow era were still real. You have to remind them "It's not 1952".

Old 02-16-2018, 04:28 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
The most striking thing about this story is the fact that her mother was still "passing" in 1997, afraid that people would discover her.

What did she think was going to happen to her in the 90s? She could have been a white lady that had some black ancestry and no one would have cared. It would have probably been an interesting story to tell somebody.

Old people from that generation didn't realize that the world changed around them. Their mind stayed in the 50s. I notice the exact same thing in my family. They thought all the race concepts from the Jim Crow era were still real. You have to remind them "It's not 1952".
That's the thing, it goes both ways. Old people on one end might be stuck in the past still hiding such things or fearing the racial consequences... while on the other end there are plenty of mirrored older people still holding to the old style of racial discrimination.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:16 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post

"Anglo-American white people(WASPS)" are so freaking weird about this stuff. The legacy of the one drop rule still has some of the so ****ed up in the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy