Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 12:46 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times

Advertisements

I consider myself white because I look white and come from a European culture. If I found out I was part some other race, it would not make one bit of difference to me in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 AM

5,029 posts, read 7,409,636 times
If you look carefully, that article is about R1b1b2a1a2f2 -- notice the "2" at the end. That makes all the difference. This group is indeed Irish and is a subset of the group without the "2" on the end and stops at "f", which is far more widespread throughout Europe and the one OzarkNation was talking about.

It is worth repeating as long as OzarkNation keeps repeating the same error: his haplogroup R1b1b2a1a2f* (which is also mine) is not Irish, even though it has the highest frequency in Ireland. It is thought to originate in central Europe and spread mostly to the west and north, although some did spread south into Italy where OzarkNation said his paternal line came from. It is just absurd to say it is "Irish" because of where the highest density of this group lives today. It is like saying Siberians are Native American.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:25 PM

661 posts, read 880,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
If you look carefully, that article is about R1b1b2a1a2f2 -- notice the "2" at the end. That makes all the difference. This group is indeed Irish and is a subset of the group without the "2" on the end and stops at "f", which is far more widespread throughout Europe and the one OzarkNation was talking about.

It is worth repeating as long as OzarkNation keeps repeating the same error: his haplogroup R1b1b2a1a2f* (which is also mine) is not Irish, even though it has the highest frequency in Ireland. It is thought to originate in central Europe and spread mostly to the west and north, although some did spread south into Italy where OzarkNation said his paternal line came from. It is just absurd to say it is "Irish" because of where the highest density of this group lives today. It is like saying Siberians are Native American.
I agree with Aries, those european haplogroups spread around Europe and concentrated in some regions, specially in the British Islands/ it does not mean they are Irish or Scottish, just that is highly concentrated in those places.
Aries where are your great grandparents from?

Old 02-19-2018, 06:29 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
That’s why people shouldn’t be haters. We don’t know where we all came from. Blacks find they have white relatives and whites find they have black relatives. Love everyone, life is too short.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
According to my DNA results, I'm 100% European. Not that it matters.

I've seen more people get upset that they don't have native American.
Same here - I'm officially the whitest person I know. So much for Jewish folks, Native American princesses, and gypsies. I'm a Viking - with dark brown hair and eyes (but really really fair complected - LOL).

Old 02-21-2018, 08:46 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
The most striking thing about this story is the fact that her mother was still "passing" in 1997, afraid that people would discover her.

What did she think was going to happen to her in the 90s? She could have been a white lady that had some black ancestry and no one would have cared. It would have probably been an interesting story to tell somebody.

Old people from that generation didn't realize that the world changed around them. Their mind stayed in the 50s. I notice the exact same thing in my family. They thought all the race concepts from the Jim Crow era were still real. You have to remind them "It's not 1952".
Agreed. Most older people I know are firmly stuck in the past. It appears to me that the younger people are the less this is true. That may be wishful thinking on my part or it might be that middle aged and younger people are better informed and more likely to keep up with the times, though there will always be those that don't keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy