U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 01:35 AM

15,880 posts, read 18,671,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

White is a skin color, long used to impute race, which we now know, as DNA is telling us, is a pretty useless construct.

DNA is telling us it is not a discrete biological construct. This is nothing new though, I was taught this in Biology in 1986.

But as long as people can tell one race from another, it will remain a social construct for better or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 04:18 AM

88 posts, read 97,887 times
but people fail to realize that all these are is title and words. Nothing in the environment dictates you ethnic makeup. Someone at a point in time decided that just because there is alot of same ethnic characteristics coming from this one place, that makes you "this". Just like religion. All it is, is a title. Nothing in you blood when you are born says you are a certain religion.

I can claim either french or German, just depends on when my relatives where in a certain area. Alot of my relatives come from Alsace Lorraine, but at different times, sometimes it belonged to France, other times it belonged to Germany.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:25 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,460,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I have seen that too.
A friend of mine used to say, he has Cherokee. Well, his DNA results didn't show a 1% on Native American.
Everyone's "part Cherokee on their great-grandmother's side."

Old 02-13-2018, 07:43 AM
AFP

7,238 posts, read 4,690,512 times
Here is an interesting study for you to review Ozark.

The History of African Gene Flow into Southern Europeans, Levantines, and Jews

These are my K36 the Omotic is a component most likely the time of the Romans and Muslims on the Iberian peninsula as well as part of the Pygymy(which is really central African). Some of the Central African was likely from the Atlantic slave trade. There is nothing to be ashamed of people are just too sensitive about this.
Attached Thumbnails
They considered themselves whites, until they got their DNA results-36.png  

Old 02-13-2018, 08:07 AM

6,407 posts, read 3,003,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
This is kind of funny, some people are getting mad at their DNA results, when they discover they are not 100% Europeans:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...id=mailsignout
Rather than get mad, they should question the company doing the testing and realize that DNA testing is perhaps more of a fun gimmick rather than a scientific conclusion. For example:

"Guerrero then met with the Maynard triplets and revealed the results for their “Family Tree DNA” tests. It showed they all had British Isles ancestry but the amount was different.

Erin Maynard was 59 percent, Mandy was 66 percent and Melissa was 70 percent. The tests also showed that Mandy had six percent Scandinavian ancestry but her identical sisters showed none.

A spokesperson for 23andMe says their results are based on a sliding confidence scale, ranging from 50-90 percent. The higher the confidence level chosen, the less specific the result can be as to the region or country of the person’s ancestry."

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/reliable-h...231600887.html

Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My 23 & Me results showed that I'm 50% Ashkenazi Jew which was a surprise, because that is not part of our known family history or heritage. Even more surprising is the fact that my brother's test showed no Jewish DNA (for lack of a better term). I can only figure that my mother had an extramarital relationship. She and my father are both dead so there isn't really anyone to ask, not that I would have ever brought it up to my father.

Anyway, I'm puzzled and curious, but not angry about any of it. I just wish I'd been able to ask my mom about it. I must have relatives who I don't know out there, but have not yet turned up anyone closer than 3rd or 4th cousins.

I have decided, though, to give this advice to people who talk about giving everyone in the family 23 & Me tests as a gift: If someone says, "I'd rather not", or "I wish you wouldn't", think long and hard before you go against their wishes. Once that genie is out of the bottle, there's no putting him back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If both you and your brother have tested, you should be able to tell how much DNA you share and therefore whether you're full or half siblings, you shouldn't rely on the ethnicity report alone.

If you're trying to identify your biological father, you may be able to do that with a 3rd or 4th cousin. I narrowed my grandfather's bio father down to 4 potential brothers and his closest match on that side was an estimated 4th cousin (actually a 6th cousin as it turns out). I wasn't able to tell which brother it was until his great half nephew tested. If you're male, you may want to consider the Y-DNA test, which might help identify your bio father's surname.
Quote:
Thank you for that information. I intend to spend more time looking at it. I just need to sit down and do some digging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I don't know your personal situation but a fair number of ethnic Jews converted to Christianity and passed as gentile (or became gentile, depending on your POV).
I quoted all of the above for some context.

I have two brothers, B1 and B2. I have always known that B1 was my half brother because my mom was married briefly to his father and several years after they divorced she married my father, or who I was always told was my father. B2 was born to that marriage and he and I were raised as full siblings. As I said above, the 23 and me test showed I am 50% Ashkenazi Jew and B2 showed no Jewish DNA.

Taking PA2UK's suggestion, I looked at how much DNA B2 and I share. He and I share 53 segments and 1822 cM's which is squarely in the range of half siblings. B1 and I share 46 segments and 2111 cM's which is also in the range of half siblings. We three have the same maternal haplogroup, but because I'm female, I don't have a paternal haplogroup. Or if I do, I don't know how to figure that out.

And I do know that Jews converted to Christianity, but according to the 23 and me report, an ancestor born between 1900 and 1930 was 100% Ashkenazi Jew. That would have been either my father or one of my grandparents, all of whom lived in deep South Texas and were Southern Baptists. I could be wrong, but I think the most reasonable explanation is that my mother had an extramarital relationship. Given what I know about her and about my parents' relationship, I could see it happening.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:21 AM

9,254 posts, read 14,286,242 times
Quote:
I quoted all of the above for some context.

I have two brothers, B1 and B2. I have always known that B1 was my half brother because my mom was married briefly to his father and several years after they divorced she married my father, or who I was always told was my father. B2 was born to that marriage and he and I were raised as full siblings. As I said above, the 23 and me test showed I am 50% Ashkenazi Jew and B2 showed no Jewish DNA.

Taking PA2UK's suggestion, I looked at how much DNA B2 and I share. He and I share 53 segments and 1822 cM's which is squarely in the range of half siblings. B1 and I share 46 segments and 2111 cM's which is also in the range of half siblings. We three have the same maternal haplogroup, but because I'm female, I don't have a paternal haplogroup. Or if I do, I don't know how to figure that out.

And I do know that Jews converted to Christianity, but according to the 23 and me report, an ancestor born between 1900 and 1930 was 100% Ashkenazi Jew. That would have been either my father or one of my grandparents, all of whom lived in deep South Texas and were Southern Baptists. I could be wrong, but I think the most reasonable explanation is that my mother had an extramarital relationship. Given what I know about her and about my parents' relationship, I could see it happening.
Yes, those are definitely half siblings - you do not share enough DNA to be full siblings. As a female, you do not have a Y chromosome, so you don't have a paternal haplogroup. If you are interested in finding the identity of your bio father, I can give you some tips.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:25 AM

4,377 posts, read 2,652,510 times
DNA testing is very vague, and not what we think. Research all the different types of DNA tests. We are all pretty much same DNA makeup.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Thank you! 16 percent of people in Scotland today are still Catholic and if Henry VIII hadn't wanted a divorce, England would still be a Catholic country today. Our Founding Fathers would have been Catholic. 34 percent of Germans are Catholic as well. Anyone who thinks you have to be Protestant to be white is delusional.
Yeah, not to mention, there are also plenty of Protestants of other races. You don't have to be white to be Protestant, and you don't have to be Protestant or Anglo-Saxon to be white.

He seems to think that because WASP stands for "white anglo-saxon protestant" that means you have to be WASP to be considered white. Just because the word "white" is in that term doesn't mean that's what defines white.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I went on the hunt of a similar story in my husbands family. This is a very Nordic family ... with “one dark haired guy with high cheekbones who couldn’t grow facial hair”: My husbands dad.

Nobody has done DNA; it was sort of a self-challenge. I got way farther than I thought ... good grief, this family is a dream to research. It was distracting ... pretty soon I was “in” Scotland, realizing that this huge clan had been looking for my husbands family for years: “The lost descendants of David ...” but no Native Americans to be found.

But then I backtracked. Back to Virginia in the 1600’s. This time using Newspaper Archive & Chronicling America. And I found 2 different wills by the same man, done 9 years apart & the last one mentioned a “daughter & child” that wasn’t on the first one, despite this daughter being in her 30’s.

I’ll be darned if that daughter didn’t turn up being named in a fairly high-profile incident between the natives & the settlers, as one of of several women that had been abducted during a raid. They were returned about 8 years later, as part of negotiations between the Army & the Natives. And she had returned ... with a son. And that son, was my husbands great x7 grandfather.

I’m not the poster you quoted but I noticed you mentioned the Eurogenes K36; which has been the object of my recent interest. I just ran 4 family members from 3 generations (dad, maternal uncle, myself & a son) through that calculator.

Was surprised to find that I resulted in 24 out of the 36 populations (dad=16, maternal uncle=16 & son=18), yet had the highest percentages of West Mediterranean & East Balkan; even more so than the supposedly “full-blooded” Greek.
K36 is highly speculative, if you ask me. I'd take with a large grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or