U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 09:48 AM
AFP

7,240 posts, read 4,706,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
K36 is highly speculative, if you ask me. I'd take with a large grain of salt.
K36 picks up the genetic history of the Iberian peninsula rather well(deep ancestry). It is designed for deep ancestry people with multiple ethnic ancestries within the last couple hundred years I think will get strange results they can't make sense out of. This calculator works better for populations with relatively little admixture within the last few hundred years. You can pretty much rule out people with a grandparent of four different origins. They have no idea what component they inherited from what grandparent if all four are European.

Too many people are taking the percentages literally however it picks up shared SNP's. This particular calculator isn't pulling it out of thin air. This is simply a tool out of the many available and for those that can interpret the data it is better than what the major commercial companies have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 11:11 AM

634 posts, read 539,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
If this is your actual view of things, and not some kind of failed or misguided joke, it only makes you look incredibly foolish (I'm trying to be kind here). None of that makes a lick of sense, is utterly false, and reflects poorly on your intellect.
Oh please, it is a joke.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I will add my vote to this as nonsense.

My Mexican DIL, who speaks Spanish and is Catholic, is whiter than I am, and I am 99.9% European. I am pink compared to her; her skin is like alabaster. She is white Hispanic.

White is a skin color, long used to impute race, which we now know, as DNA is telling us, is a pretty useless construct.
As I said before, the U.S. Census has created more Human Races, than God !!
As far as I know there are only three human races: Caucasian, Asian and Black, period.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 AM

9,255 posts, read 14,312,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Oh please, it is a joke.
No, it's not a joke, because you've tried to make this claim before - it clearly wasn't a joke then, and it's not a joke now, but because so many people have called you out on it this time, you're trying to pass it off as a joke so you can save face.

//www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post48572645

Old 02-13-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Here is an interesting study for you to review Ozark.

The History of African Gene Flow into Southern Europeans, Levantines, and Jews

These are my K36 the Omotic is a component most likely the time of the Romans and Muslims on the Iberian peninsula as well as part of the Pygymy(which is really central African). Some of the Central African was likely from the Atlantic slave trade. There is nothing to be ashamed of people are just too sensitive about this.
Interesting !!
Here is my K-36 results:
Population
Amerindian 24.81
Arabian 0.76
Armenian 2.83
Basque 3.52
Central_African 1.01
Central_Euro 1.38
East_African -
East_Asian -
East_Balkan 0.77
East_Central_Asian 0.34
East_Central_Euro 3.44
East_Med 0.70
Eastern_Euro 1.30
Fennoscandian 0.97
French 1.69
Iberian 12.76
Indo-Chinese -
Italian 11.29
Malayan -
Near_Eastern 4.55
North_African 4.26
North_Atlantic 5.29
North_Caucasian -
North_Sea 3.45
Northeast_African -
Oceanian -
Omotic 0.48
Pygmy -
Siberian 2.19
South_Asian -
South_Central_Asian -
South_Chinese -
Volga-Ural 0.33
West_African 7.53
West_Caucasian -
West_Med 4.36

Old 02-13-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No, it's not a joke, because you've tried to make this claim before - it clearly wasn't a joke then, and it's not a joke now, but because so many people have called you out on it this time, you're trying to pass it off as a joke so you can save face.

//www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post48572645
I am sarcastic sometimes, so people understand my point.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 AM

9,255 posts, read 14,312,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I am sarcastic sometimes, so people understand my point.
Why didn't you mention it was a joke the first time around then?

Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM

4,626 posts, read 5,726,173 times
I have never had my DNA tested, nor will I because I don't like what they do with your information when they have it. Once you submit the test, you no longer own your DNA...

https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releas...sleeper-serial

Old 02-13-2018, 12:11 PM
bjh

35,913 posts, read 24,704,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Rather than get mad, they should question the company doing the testing and realize that DNA testing is perhaps more of a fun gimmick rather than a scientific conclusion. For example:

"Guerrero then met with the Maynard triplets and revealed the results for their “Family Tree DNA” tests. It showed they all had British Isles ancestry but the amount was different.

Erin Maynard was 59 percent, Mandy was 66 percent and Melissa was 70 percent. The tests also showed that Mandy had six percent Scandinavian ancestry but her identical sisters showed none.

A spokesperson for 23andMe says their results are based on a sliding confidence scale, ranging from 50-90 percent. The higher the confidence level chosen, the less specific the result can be as to the region or country of the person’s ancestry."
That doesn't mean the tests are unreliable. Most people don't get how DNA recombines in different proportions with different relatives. See this video if you want some explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbmAt5bm34

Old 02-13-2018, 12:21 PM
bjh

35,913 posts, read 24,704,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I have never had my DNA tested, nor will I because I don't like what they do with your information when they have it. Once you submit the test, you no longer own your DNA...

https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releas...sleeper-serial
So they can find criminals with DNA and that's bad? How? Bring it on.

But you can have your DNA sample destroyed and you can opt out of having your DNA used for medical research. I've allowed them to use my DNA on 23andMe for research. They let you know how it's used and you can read about the studies. Therefore you can know how you help scientists better understand medical issues. If something in my DNA can help alleviate my fellow humans' suffering, that's awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or