Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 06:52 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I have never had my DNA tested, nor will I because I don't like what they do with your information when they have it. Once you submit the test, you no longer own your DNA...

https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releas...sleeper-serial
Not true, you can't not own your own DNA.

https://www.snopes.com/ancestry-dna-steal-own/
With all due respect | The Legal Genealogist
https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/...-and-your-dna/

As for law enforcement being able to access your DNA with a court order, they can do that regardless of whether you've taken a commercial DNA test or not. Given that neither I nor anyone closely related to me has ever committed a crime and none of us plan or ever intent to, I'm really not worried about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 07:04 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The link I provided is for identical triplets, twins, and quads. This video explains why children with the same parents, who are not identical, have different DNA results, but it does not explain why DNA analysis of identical children is not identical.
IIRC, the reason was that they were using different confidence levels for the different women. This accounts to significant differences at 23andMe. So they took one triplet's results and reported her ethnicity percentages on 50% confidence, the next triplet's results are from 70% confidence, and the last triplet's results were for 90% confidence. These are unfair comparisons to make (they were manipulating facts to make a story juicier) - very likely, if they reported the triplets results all set to the same confidence level, they would be the same, or at least within a 1-2% difference (but they didn't, because that would be a boring story). Accounting for these smaller 1-2% differences, it may have something to do with "no calls": https://isogg.org/wiki/No_call

Old 02-13-2018, 08:02 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Mediterranean
Not necessarily from Italy.
It means someone in your family is from Southern Europe.
The fallacy of those tests is the claim to nationality, which has always been relatively fluid.

For instance, there is that 'net-famous case of triplets whose DNA testing is "wrong" because their tests are not precisely identical with regard to how much "Scottish" and "English" ancestry each has.

Jeez, c'mon. It's not as though there is an ocean between Scotland and England. Moreover, the difference between the triplets--shown by only one test--was within the variation that would be shown by successive tests of any one of them.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Not very long ago you just didn't talk about illegitimate births, or romps on the woodpile. In areas of my gene pool, such as French Canadian, there were NO WHITE WOMEN in "New France" other than nuns, and the wife of the "Monseignor". So, drum roll, where did all those babies come from?? The Roman Catholic church and the rest of the power elite didn't countenance even a discussion of the topic.

I have a country cousin who never met his grandparents, but I did when I was very young. He's on his way to be a Supreme Court judge in Canada, maybe by the tender age of fifty. Run his DNA and there just might be the FIRST FIRST NATIONS SC judge in the countries history. SURPRISE!!!!
You've got to be kidding if you think there weren't marriageable French women in Quebec from the 1600s onward.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:36 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The link I provided is for identical triplets, twins, and quads. This video explains why children with the same parents, who are not identical, have different DNA results, but it does not explain why DNA analysis of identical children is not identical.
See below. There are variations based on confidence level even within one's own results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
IIRC, the reason was that they were using different confidence levels for the different women. This accounts to significant differences at 23andMe. So they took one triplet's results and reported her ethnicity percentages on 50% confidence, the next triplet's results are from 70% confidence, and the last triplet's results were for 90% confidence. These are unfair comparisons to make (they were manipulating facts to make a story juicier) - very likely, if they reported the triplets results all set to the same confidence level, they would be the same, or at least within a 1-2% difference (but they didn't, because that would be a boring story). Accounting for these smaller 1-2% differences, it may have something to do with "no calls"
Sound like sheer manipulation and misreporting was done. Thanks for that information.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The fallacy of those tests is the claim to nationality, which has always been relatively fluid.
I agree. 500 years ago, Italy didn't exist as a nation, it was part of the Spanish Empire along with the Netherlands, Austria and most islands in the Mediterranean Sea, under the House of Habsburg. (everything in green at the below map was spanish) That's why many sailors were "italians" such as Columbus and Vespuccio. The truth is that they were spanish citizens. Italy was created sometime in the 1700s.
In most DNA calculators they are Southern Europeans or Mediterraneans. Period.

Last edited by ozarknation; 02-13-2018 at 09:44 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
We ALL have ancestors way back who walked out of Africa. I'm human, that's the biggest thing I care about. Now if someday we find out that there were aliens from other planets who came to earth and intermarried, now THAT would be shocking! The U.S. is one of the most mixed heritage places ever. I'm certainly proud of that. Mutts...I kind of like that word!
Like most "white" southerners, I'm sure I have distant cousins who are African-American.
It’s my understanding, and I could be wrong, but the Ancestry type DNA tests aren’t meant to go that far. There’s a test from the National Geographic that is more expensive that will take you back to those ancestors who walked out of Africa.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:32 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
I thought I was 100% white. Turns out I'm 40% French, 30% Polish, 20% Japanese and a mix of traces of Russian, Ukrainian, and German. I always had people ask if I was part Asian... turns out I am!

Old 02-14-2018, 05:05 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My 23 & Me results showed that I'm 50% Ashkenazi Jew which was a surprise, because that is not part of our known family history or heritage. Even more surprising is the fact that my brother's test showed no Jewish DNA (for lack of a better term). I can only figure that my mother had an extramarital relationship. She and my father are both dead so there isn't really anyone to ask, not that I would have ever brought it up to my father.

Anyway, I'm puzzled and curious, but not angry about any of it. I just wish I'd been able to ask my mom about it. I must have relatives who I don't know out there, but have not yet turned up anyone closer than 3rd or 4th cousins.

I have decided, though, to give this advice to people who talk about giving everyone in the family 23 & Me tests as a gift: If someone says, "I'd rather not", or "I wish you wouldn't", think long and hard before you go against their wishes. Once that genie is out of the bottle, there's no putting him back.
I'm sorry for your situation. Would be hard to know between you and your brother which of you should be looking for your real father.

Perhaps you and your brother should take another test with bth of you using the same company just to be sure.

And, maybe I am not as enlightened, but I always thought being Jewish was a religion not an ethnicity?

Last edited by JanND; 02-14-2018 at 05:14 AM..

Old 02-14-2018, 06:10 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I agree. 500 years ago, Italy didn't exist as a nation, it was part of the Spanish Empire along with the Netherlands, Austria and most islands in the Mediterranean Sea, under the House of Habsburg. (everything in green at the below map was spanish) That's why many sailors were "italians" such as Columbus and Vespuccio. The truth is that they were spanish citizens. Italy was created sometime in the 1700s.
In most DNA calculators they are Southern Europeans or Mediterraneans. Period.
Your Italian history is a bit off. Before Italy became united in the 1860s it was comprised of many individual small countries, Duchies, City States and territory owned by the Roman Catholic Church. To be Italian before it became a nation meant that you were from the Italian peninsular nothing more. Florence, Venice, Genoa and hundreds of other cities were city-states with their own governments and languages. Other European countries invaded areas of Italy throughout history including Spain, France, Austria. Italians were not citizens per say of those invading countries. It's generally agreed that Columbus was from Genoa an independent nation at that time although some scholars are disputing this and say he originated from Spain, it has nothing to do with Genoa being controlled by Spain, which it wasn't. Your map is from 1547. Things changed on the peninsular on a regular basis and a map a hundred years prior or a hundred years later would look different. Genoa was not ruled by Spain in 1492 and was an independent nation until the late 1700s.

Likewise, Vespucci was from the Italian Peninsular but from Florence and was hired by Spain to explore the New World. He was in no way Spanish. He was Florentine, as Columbus was Genovese.
http://www.history.com/topics/explor...erigo-vespucci
You almost sound like you're making this stuff up as you go along.

As an interesting side note, the Rep of San Marino is the only city-state on the Italian peninsular that avoided being annexed into the new Italian nation. It recently celebrated it's 1700 years of independence. It was never ruled by Spain, France or any other European country.

Last edited by marino760; 02-14-2018 at 07:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy