Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 02:14 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,188,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
This is kind of funny, some people are getting mad at their DNA results, when they discover they are not 100% Europeans:
Some people get mad when they find out they are 100% European. (because they want to be exotic)

Some people get mad when they find out they have a small percentage of European. (because they want to be pure or are prejudiced against whites)

Just seach 'DNA test' on Youtube and you will find every permutation of disappointment on the basis of race and nationality out there.

Fortunately, the vast majority of people accept their heritage as revealed by these tests, so I don't see why we make a big deal out of the tiny number of people who don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,611,433 times
My 23 & Me results showed that I'm 50% Ashkenazi Jew which was a surprise, because that is not part of our known family history or heritage. Even more surprising is the fact that my brother's test showed no Jewish DNA (for lack of a better term). I can only figure that my mother had an extramarital relationship. She and my father are both dead so there isn't really anyone to ask, not that I would have ever brought it up to my father.

Anyway, I'm puzzled and curious, but not angry about any of it. I just wish I'd been able to ask my mom about it. I must have relatives who I don't know out there, but have not yet turned up anyone closer than 3rd or 4th cousins.

I have decided, though, to give this advice to people who talk about giving everyone in the family 23 & Me tests as a gift: If someone says, "I'd rather not", or "I wish you wouldn't", think long and hard before you go against their wishes. Once that genie is out of the bottle, there's no putting him back.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:27 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,254,092 times
I took a dna test and it said i was 100 percent european

Old 02-09-2018, 08:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 17,743,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My 23 & Me results showed that I'm 50% Ashkenazi Jew which was a surprise, because that is not part of our known family history or heritage. Even more surprising is the fact that my brother's test showed no Jewish DNA (for lack of a better term). I can only figure that my mother had an extramarital relationship. She and my father are both dead so there isn't really anyone to ask, not that I would have ever brought it up to my father.

Anyway, I'm puzzled and curious, but not angry about any of it. I just wish I'd been able to ask my mom about it. I must have relatives who I don't know out there, but have not yet turned up anyone closer than 3rd or 4th cousins.
If both you and your brother have tested, you should be able to tell how much DNA you share and therefore whether you're full or half siblings, you shouldn't rely on the ethnicity report alone.

If you're trying to identify your biological father, you may be able to do that with a 3rd or 4th cousin. I narrowed my grandfather's bio father down to 4 potential brothers and his closest match on that side was an estimated 4th cousin (actually a 6th cousin as it turns out). I wasn't able to tell which brother it was until his great half nephew tested. If you're male, you may want to consider the Y-DNA test, which might help identify your bio father's surname.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:45 AM

672 posts, read 688,569 times
Out of the 1200+ relatives I have on 23&me I think I've seen only one white relative with a significant amount of sub-Saharan African DNA. Ironically it was 8% just like the lady in the news article. Most results show as 99%+ European. I have seen many .1% and a few 1-2% sub-Saharan African results among white relatives. My maternal great-great grandma was most likely mixed and has the mysterious background and 'native american' heritage but I'm pretty positive she was a black/white mixture. She was born in the early 1900's

Ironically I've only seen about 2 black relatives at 90%+ sub-Saharan African. Most fall into the 80-85% range.

Last edited by dc1538; 02-10-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-10-2018, 02:04 PM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,187,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
We have one story like that in my family. My ggggg grandfather fathered a child with a slave. He freed the child/ young man around 1814. The son wasn't allowed to marry a white woman so he cohabitated with her and produced children. The generations after that often 'passed' as white. Some family members married back into the family. Same folks are finding 1-2% African Ancestry. I've been told that may just be noise.

I saw another story on Megyn Kelly the other day where a lady learned that her mother had passed as white. I'm not a fan of MK's show, but paused to watch because of the subject. https://www.today.com/parents/meet-w...-white-t122371
My computer wouldn't play the video at that site. In case anyone else has that issue here it is on the Today Show's youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNiEBnOzgVw

ETA: here's the lady with her new found relatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJEOwn0EUVk

Last edited by bjh; 02-10-2018 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: add other video link

Old 02-10-2018, 06:02 PM

10,196 posts, read 17,743,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
Out of the 1200+ relatives I have on 23&me I think I've seen only one white relative with a significant amount of sub-Saharan African DNA. Ironically it was 8% just like the lady in the news article. Most results show as 99%+ European. I have seen many .1% and a few 1-2% sub-Saharan African results among white relatives. My maternal great-great grandma was most likely mixed and has the mysterious background and 'native american' heritage but I'm pretty positive she was a black/white mixture. She was born in the early 1900's

Ironically I've only seen about 2 black relatives at 90%+ sub-Saharan African. Most fall into the 80-85% range.
On average, African Americans are 73.2% African: Genetic study reveals surprising ancestry of many Americans | Science | AAAS

Old 02-10-2018, 06:18 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,895,795 times
My DNA test showed 56% Italian.
That is interesting, since there is no mention whatsoever in any family lore about Italy or any Italians.
Family lore says Germany (Pennsylvania Dutch), Ireland, Scotland, and England.
Hmmm...

Old 02-10-2018, 06:23 PM

661 posts, read 868,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
That is interesting, since there is no mention whatsoever in any family lore about Italy or any Italians.
Hmmm...
Mediterranean
Not necessarily from Italy.
It means someone in your family is from Southern Europe.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:47 PM

48 posts, read 34,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Hmmm...

You could have Iberian, not so much Italian. British and Irish tend to have leftover Iberian ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy