U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 09:16 PM

21,278 posts, read 15,069,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Can anyone point me to any online source for a lawsuit that happened in 1913/14 in New York city? I'm looking for the outcome. This would have been a civil case.
Are you for real?

Quote:
No, I'm researching an ancestor who was involved in a family lawsuit. I'm trying to trace the possibility of a child from a previous marriage and what happened to the mother.
You'll need to go to the appropriate county and conduct the search yourself (or hire someone to do it for you).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 06:27 AM

4,715 posts, read 4,214,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Are you for real?

I did say I didn't think there was one but I wanted to ask anyway.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:02 AM

5,215 posts, read 4,520,050 times
I saw court records online for that time period for the Bronx but not Manhattan.

There may be information about children/their parents in church records. Do you know if they practiced a religion?

Old 02-10-2018, 10:55 AM

2,933 posts, read 4,604,465 times
Quote:
You all are great! I know what I will be doing tomorrow.

I just discovered that my grandfather was previously married. I'm not even sure my dad knew that. So fascinating.

If you're looking for Manhattan divorce records than they are at the Old Records Div. at 31 Chambers, 7th floor. I put that info in a previous post.

There is an index and the records are stored off site.

So, it's a two trip deal. Once to search the index, the other to see the file.

When I went back to see the file of a 1913 divorce (hubby's grandfather) I had to go to a different building to view the retrieved file.

Remember that the 7th floor of 31 Chambers is only open two days per week.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:00 AM

114 posts, read 62,421 times
You can call the clerk for the jurisdiction where the case was heard and ask if they can produce records for you. Chances are they can do the search for you but it will take a while and you'll have to pay for the time to retrieve and produce the records. Alternatively they may have deposited the records with the local city library or a local university library which probably transferred them to microfiche. The clerk should be able to find where the records went.

Another option is to contact the state or county's vital statistics department. By the 1910s New York might have formally recorded that information. They may be able to release some of that information to you if you can prove a familial relationship--assuming you have a name.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Try searching old digitized NYC newspapers at this free site:
www.fultonhistory.com

There may have been a notice in the paper.

You can search by name or other keywords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Fulton History contains an amazing amount of information but can be tricky to navigate.

Hints on using it here:

Searching the Fulton History Newspaper Site - Cliff Lamere

BLESS YOU BOTH!

I found exactly what I was looking for!

Ok, so Grandfather married an 18 year old woman (who I had never heard of before this!) and she left him 8 months later. The "child" I thought was of their marriage was actually her, because she was, according to the court of the era, still not of the age of majority and required a guardian at litem to actually litigate the divorce! (the reference I had seen referred to an "infant" but apparently 18 years old was considered an "infant" because the age of majority was 21)

*whew*

So, the next interesting bit is Grandfather actually sued his MIL because he believed she was the reason for the "alienation of affection" from his wife, and stated that he believed his MIL wanted her daughter to divorce so she could marry a "French count".

He, apparently, won that case but the verdict was sealed. When the wife turned 21 she sued Grandfather again for a divorce, which was granted this time, and she married the "French count" 4 days after her divorce was final!

OMG, I could write a book about that....

*going to go dust off a few more skeletons in that closet*

THANK YOU for your help!

Old 02-10-2018, 04:54 PM

5,215 posts, read 4,520,050 times
That is quite the story.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:59 PM

9,255 posts, read 14,298,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Are you for real?
Why is that such an unbelievable question? Some court documents are available online.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:30 PM

2,933 posts, read 4,604,465 times
What a story!

In NYC divorce records are sealed for 100 years. You said this was around 1913, so you should be able to obtain the file.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
What a story!

In NYC divorce records are sealed for 100 years. You said this was around 1913, so you should be able to obtain the file.
OH! That would be interesting. I really wish I had the time to visit NY and dig through this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or