U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:14 PM

12,670 posts, read 22,617,009 times

Advertisements

Their house is 30 minutes from me and not far from Cooper trauma center. It's a lick your car doors type of area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 08:27 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,725,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Their house is 30 minutes from me and not far from Cooper trauma center. It's a lick your car doors type of area
So I've heard from family still in Jersey, LOL! Really very sad, though. It was such a historic city and now when I zoom in to street view on the map it looks like a war zone. The houses my parents grew up in are both gone, dad's on Fern and mom's on Kimber.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
So I've heard from family still in Jersey, LOL! Really very sad, though. It was such a historic city and now when I zoom in to street view on the map it looks like a war zone. The houses my parents grew up in are both gone, dad's on Fern and mom's on Kimber.
Stupid auto correct. Should have said "lock your doors" kind of town lol
My sons family lived there too in the early 1900's. It reminds me of Plainfield in North Jersey which is near where I grew up.

So cool having articles about him!

Old 02-25-2018, 08:38 AM

50,938 posts, read 40,245,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Have I greeted you as a cousin yet?? I'm also kin to Frank and Jesse James, through their mother, who was a very sweet, very "civilized" lady from a respectable family connected to numerous other respectable old Southern (notably Maryland) families, including the Howards, whose surname Jesse took as his pseudonym. Hence the line about that "dirty little coward, who shot 'Mr. Howard'..." in the eponymous song.

A shining example of Mama having tried...
Howdy, Cousin!

The branch I spring from moved down from Missouri to Arkansas and Texas (and also out to California). Our family tree is unabashedly southern too - the Missouri bunch (including the infamous James brothers) is the most northern in over 200 years!

Old 02-25-2018, 08:40 AM

50,938 posts, read 40,245,456 times
Quote:
Then you're related to my son who's grandma is also related. I'm stuck on her grandmother's parents (last name White) but know the family her father belonged to because of DNA matches. I just have to figure his name out. I'm not seeing MIL's grandmother attached to census records that would link her to her parents.

I should say I'm seeing her attached to one that says sister at both Ancestry and family search but when I viewed the census it says daughter. I have to email MIL again to see if she can tell me more.
These old records can be so confusing! Especially since people changed their names so often. For instance, I found out that a mysterious "Turnipseed" last name in our family was actually Swiss in origin and the "original" last name was Rebsamen, which means "turnipseed." Can't say that Turnipseed was a big improvement over Rebsamen.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:30 AM

10,960 posts, read 9,041,136 times
Quote:
Then you're related to my son who's grandma is also related. I'm stuck on her grandmother's parents (last name White) but know the family her father belonged to because of DNA matches. I just have to figure his name out. I'm not seeing MIL's grandmother attached to census records that would link her to her parents.

I should say I'm seeing her attached to one that says sister at both Ancestry and family search but when I viewed the census it says daughter. I have to email MIL again to see if she can tell me more.
Was your MIL related to the James family through Zerelda Cole (mother of Frank and Jesse)? If so, check out these colonial Maryland related families, who were very intermarried with one another: Warfields, Greenes, Howards, Dorseys, Wyatts and Elders. You might find the match.

Or it could be another line.

BTW, Brad Pitt also seems to be related to Frank and Jesse James. Who knew??

Old 02-25-2018, 11:37 AM

3,995 posts, read 3,484,814 times
My dad's family on both his grandmother and grandfather's side has always said we are related to Jesse and Frank. I can't find a connection. Other, more distant, branches of the family have heard it too. There is still a chance we are related through some 'Turners', but that line gets confusing fast.

I researched some of the possibilities and one extended cousin who has 'James' as a last name thinks the family made it up to hide an illegitimate child. Another extended cousin not related to the first extended cousins has researched and can't find a link either. Her half siblings are 'Howards' in Missouri. They don't link in either.

My great grandmother claimed to have seen Jesse silently sneaking around a house. She was born around the time he died. We know Jesse died then because it has been confirmed by dna testing. My great grandmother was not known as a liar. Based on where she lived, I think it is possible she came into contact with an impersonator.

I also looked at some census records of ancestors and found one living next door to a James. I followed that James tree out and couldn't make a connection to 'the' James family. Interestingly, I have a line where everyone with that last name is related. I found a James married to extended family.

I don't know. It's a small world and I have ancestors in Kentucky and Missouri and elsewhere. There may be some obscure connection to Jesse and Frank.

I have a lot of crazy genealogy. In fact, I am not really sure how much of the family is 'normal'. I was told a story a while back about 'revenuers' shooting up my great uncle's house in the 1930's. No one was home during the shooting because my great uncle escaped by hopping in a boat and paddling away.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 02-25-2018 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-26-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Was your MIL related to the James family through Zerelda Cole (mother of Frank and Jesse)? If so, check out these colonial Maryland related families, who were very intermarried with one another: Warfields, Greenes, Howards, Dorseys, Wyatts and Elders. You might find the match.

Or it could be another line.

BTW, Brad Pitt also seems to be related to Frank and Jesse James. Who knew??
Just looked at her email, she said it's through Slocum who was her fathers grandmother. I'm stuck on who his mothers parents were out of their 16 kids.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-26-2018 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-26-2018, 10:11 AM

2,154 posts, read 1,025,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I grew up knowing I was white Hispanic because my grandparents would tell us how their families were from the Caribbean. We didn't know a whole lot about my mother's side until now.

What I didn't know is that I had more American blood in me as well! I have traced my relatives all the way back to Kent, England in the 1600s. They came over to America and settled in Plymouth, MA. There's a monument in Plymouth with my 10th or 11th great grandparents' name on it.

Anyone else find anything crazy in their family tree?
I have traced my husband's family back to the Mayflower and I have traced my family back to William the Conqueror and King Charlemagne through what is called a gateway ancestor. My father always claimed Indian but I have never found any indication that this was true. Who were your 10th and 11th great grandparents?

Old 02-26-2018, 05:36 PM

9,296 posts, read 5,544,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I found out that a mysterious "Turnipseed" last name in our family was actually Swiss in origin .
in my tree I got some turnipseed, in mid 1700 in georiga. They are not my surname but they intermingle in my tree

im sorry south carolina.

Michael Wingard Corley was born Abt. 1805 in Lexington Co.,South Carolina, and died Aft. 1845. He married Mary Elizabeth "Polly" Turnipseed 18 January 1838 in Lexington Co.,South Carolina, daughter of John Turnipseed and Mary Turket. She was born Abt. 1804 in Richland Co., South Carolina. Mary Turkett was born abt 1763 Orageburg Dist, SC and died Jan 1863 Richland Co., SC

Children of Michael Corley and Mary Turnipseed are:
i.James F. Corley, born 1838 in Richland City,SC.
ii.Anna Louise Corley, born in Richland City,SC
iii.John Corley, born 1844 in Richland City,SC
iv.Joseph D. Corley, born 1845.
v.Sarah Elizabeth Corley, born 1849 in Richland City,SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or