U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2018, 06:40 PM
 
1,469 posts, read 935,983 times
Reputation: 1879

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I have traced my husband's family back to the Mayflower and I have traced my family back to William the Conqueror and King Charlemagne through what is called a gateway ancestor. My father always claimed Indian but I have never found any indication that this was true. Who were your 10th and 11th great grandparents?
They were Thomas and Elizabeth Bourn. I'm not sure if they came over on the Mayflower or not. That would be sweet though if they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2018, 03:10 AM
 
Location: Washington, but California born and raised
48 posts, read 25,193 times
Reputation: 64
I found out my German ancestors came from a village in Southern Germany called Dachtel, they settled in Pennsylvania in the Lehigh valley. What's crazy is that they settled there in the 1700s!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 10:48 AM
 
2,142 posts, read 1,017,311 times
Reputation: 4119
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
They were Thomas and Elizabeth Bourn. I'm not sure if they came over on the Mayflower or not. That would be sweet though if they did.
No, they didn't. They came somewhere in the 1630's. However, I am finding that their daughter Martha married John Bradford son of William Bradford and his wife Mary who drowned falling off the Mayflower. William later married my husband's ancestor Alice Carpenter Southworth. Interestingly enough John Bradford was left behind as he was a small child and joined his father 20 years later in Plymouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 06:06 PM
 
1,469 posts, read 935,983 times
Reputation: 1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
No, they didn't. They came somewhere in the 1630's. However, I am finding that their daughter Martha married John Bradford son of William Bradford and his wife Mary who drowned falling off the Mayflower. William later married my husband's ancestor Alice Carpenter Southworth. Interestingly enough John Bradford was left behind as he was a small child and joined his father 20 years later in Plymouth.
Awesome information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 10:02 AM
 
1,469 posts, read 935,983 times
Reputation: 1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
No, they didn't. They came somewhere in the 1630's. However, I am finding that their daughter Martha married John Bradford son of William Bradford and his wife Mary who drowned falling off the Mayflower. William later married my husband's ancestor Alice Carpenter Southworth. Interestingly enough John Bradford was left behind as he was a small child and joined his father 20 years later in Plymouth.
I did find Thomas' will on ancestry.com which tells what he's passing down to his daughter Martha Bradford. Included her mother's gold ring. Amazing they still have this documentation from the 1600s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 03:14 PM
 
19,693 posts, read 4,951,314 times
Reputation: 6717
I found a lot of my family was involved in the witch trials and I am related to Brad Pitt.I also found that i am part Spaniard.Those are my krazy findings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 07:52 AM
 
1,469 posts, read 935,983 times
Reputation: 1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I found a lot of my family was involved in the witch trials and I am related to Brad Pitt.I also found that i am part Spaniard.Those are my krazy findings.
Very cool. Involved in the witch trials in what way? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2018, 04:20 PM
 
19,693 posts, read 4,951,314 times
Reputation: 6717
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Very cool. Involved in the witch trials in what way? lol
Well some of my family in Salem were executed and i think i may be related to an accuser.I think some of my family were accused and possibly survived.Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2018, 04:24 PM
 
10,790 posts, read 7,083,671 times
Reputation: 20573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
LOL! My ancestors were the poster children of crazy stuff in the family tree. My great-great grandmother not only ran a house of ill-repute in New Jersey (a brothel) but was also the female version of Fagan in Oliver Twist, running a band of young thieves. She was also caught pushing a baby carriage filled with stolen chickens. One of her adopted daughters was arrested for stealing the clothes from a dead body. Then there was Uncle Barney Bogan, known as The Legless Terror of Camden in NJ. I could go on but it would take hours, LOL!
Please go on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2018, 04:35 PM
 
10,790 posts, read 7,083,671 times
Reputation: 20573
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I have traced my husband's family back to the Mayflower and I have traced my family back to William the Conqueror and King Charlemagne through what is called a gateway ancestor. My father always claimed Indian but I have never found any indication that this was true. Who were your 10th and 11th great grandparents?
I'm jealous, seeing you go back so far.

The best we can do is 4 generations on one side and 5 on the other thanks to the Nazis and the Eastern European pogroms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top