U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:30 PM

1,469 posts, read 935,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Well some of my family in Salem were executed and i think i may be related to an accuser.I think some of my family were accused and possibly survived.Thanks a lot.
Wow! Fascinating. Really awesome you were able to trace back so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm jealous, seeing you go back so far.

The best we can do is 4 generations on one side and 5 on the other thanks to the Nazis and the Eastern European pogroms
I'm sorry to hear that. That's awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 12:19 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,056,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I have traced my husband's family back to the Mayflower and I have traced my family back to William the Conqueror and King Charlemagne through what is called a gateway ancestor. My father always claimed Indian but I have never found any indication that this was true. Who were your 10th and 11th great grandparents?
My wife is descended from 3 pilgrims (Alden, Rogers x2, Bradford) and related to More through Edward III.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:39 AM

9,431 posts, read 11,385,011 times
I've found some semi-embarrassing ones. My Arkansas distant cousins arrested for bootlegging for instance. That's just funny to me. Appalling finding, one of my GGG uncles coming home from the Civil War, found the woman he loved with his brother and killed them both. OMG. This story was never passed down to me by my mother. I don't think she was aware of it.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:38 AM

3,987 posts, read 3,473,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I've found some semi-embarrassing ones. My Arkansas distant cousins arrested for bootlegging for instance. That's just funny to me. Appalling finding, one of my GGG uncles coming home from the Civil War, found the woman he loved with his brother and killed them both. OMG. This story was never passed down to me by my mother. I don't think she was aware of it.
My paternal grandfather's family runs the gamut on those types of stories. He was embarrassed by them and they also caused a lot of embarrassment in his family. I didn't know about them growing up and at this point, I'm fascinated. Some of the stories are so outrageous that they are hilarious. Some of the stories are sad too. At least it explains why things were done the way they were and why no one ever talked about it.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:34 PM

338 posts, read 197,996 times
One of the crazy things I found after doing my and my aunts DNA is that we have quite a high percentage of matching DNA, like on the very top of what we should have. I guess that is why we look identical practically

The other crazy thing is how many ancestors married first or second cousins back in the 1600-1800's. And also brothers marrying a pair of sisters (not their sisters). I have three sets of ancestors who intermarried so much, I can barely straighten them out!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtpie1968 View Post
One of the crazy things I found after doing my and my aunts DNA is that we have quite a high percentage of matching DNA, like on the very top of what we should have. I guess that is why we look identical practically

The other crazy thing is how many ancestors married first or second cousins back in the 1600-1800's. And also brothers marrying a pair of sisters (not their sisters). I have three sets of ancestors who intermarried so much, I can barely straighten them out!
Yeah, the further back I go in my family line, it seems there was a bit of marrying between cousins. I'm still in the early stages of connecting cousins and other distant relatives, so I'm sure I'll find more evidence of this.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:58 PM

877 posts, read 893,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtpie1968 View Post

So very true, in both cases. You start to realize how small the communities were the further you go back. Which of course means the marriage potentials (without moving away, which usually happened as a family or after marriage anyways) are very limited compared to most people today. Of course this means that those potentials are sometimes cousins of your own or siblings/close relations to your in-laws.

One of my more surprising finds for a long time was that my mom and dad's ancestry didn't converge anywhere. It wasn't completely surprising at first since my parents came from completely different places. My dad was born in California and my mom in Texas. Though digging back they both mostly lead to the South with my dad's parents being born in Kansas and Arkansas and my mom's being still in Texas but both leading back to common places like Georgia, South Carolina, etc.

So the more I dug out further genealogy I expected overlaps. Found multiple cases of ancestors from both lines living almost next door in the 1800s and late 1700s in places like South Carolina, but not connection. Finally I found a single likely connection and ironically it was finding that my ancestry through my dad leads to a Cox Quaker family that I had already mapped on my Moms (quite far back, the late 1600s/early 1700s). it just so happens that that line in my mom is the one line I double descend from (someone married their first cousin once removed), so I triple descend from them as it turns out.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:21 AM

637 posts, read 435,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
One of my more surprising finds for a long time was that my mom and dad's ancestry didn't converge anywhere. It wasn't completely surprising at first since my parents came from completely different places. My dad was born in California and my mom in Texas.

I have a bizarre case of that in my family tree. For most people it's not unusual for their parents' trees to overlap in a few places since both families probably live in the same general area. But my parent's trees only converge in one place.

My father's family has lived in south central Iowa for the past 150 years.

My mother's mother's family (grandmother's) is from a small town in Missouri about 100 miles southwest of St Louis.

Basically, the two families live about 300 miles apart, so the odds are a million to one that two people from each side of the family would find each other and marry. But it happened...

In 1968, a cousin from father's Iowa family stumbled across cousin from grandmother's Missouri family while both of them were living in Omaha, Nebraska, after college. They were married. That's the only place where my dad's and mom's trees converge.

By the way, the husband in this relationship led a pretty fascinating life. In 1968, he was television news producer for the NBC station in Omaha, NE. (His wife was an aide for Nebraska senator Roman Hruska.) Around 1972, they left Omaha. The husband took a job as TV news producer for WMAQ, the NBC station in Chicago. Finally, in 1980 he was hired by Ted Turner to help start a new TV network -- CNN. They moved to Atlanta, where he was a longtime executive producer for CNN until he died of cancer in 2012.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
By the way, the husband in this relationship led a pretty fascinating life. In 1968, he was television news producer for the NBC station in Omaha, NE. (His wife was an aide for Nebraska senator Roman Hruska.) Around 1972, they left Omaha. The husband took a job as TV news producer for WMAQ, the NBC station in Chicago. Finally, in 1980 he was hired by Ted Turner to help start a new TV network -- CNN. They moved to Atlanta, where he was a longtime executive producer for CNN until he died of cancer in 2012.
Very cool. Sounds like quite a go getter.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:52 AM

Just found out my third great grandfather was a well known artist in his hometown. Tracked down where some of his paintings are held in local historical buildings. I'll have to make the trip out there when I go back to NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or