U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:48 PM

1,475 posts, read 941,125 times

Advertisements

I grew up knowing I was white Hispanic because my grandparents would tell us how their families were from the Caribbean. We didn't know a whole lot about my mother's side until now.

What I didn't know is that I had more American blood in me as well! I have traced my relatives all the way back to Kent, England in the 1600s. They came over to America and settled in Plymouth, MA. There's a monument in Plymouth with my 10th or 11th great grandparents' name on it.

Anyone else find anything crazy in their family tree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 12:01 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,725,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I grew up knowing I was white Hispanic because my grandparents would tell us how their families were from the Caribbean. We didn't know a whole lot about my mother's side until now.

What I didn't know is that I had more American blood in me as well! I have traced my relatives all the way back to Kent, England in the 1600s. They came over to America and settled in Plymouth, MA. There's a monument in Plymouth with my 10th or 11th great grandparents' name on it.

Anyone else find anything crazy in their family tree?
LOL! My ancestors were the poster children of crazy stuff in the family tree. My great-great grandmother not only ran a house of ill-repute in New Jersey (a brothel) but was also the female version of Fagan in Oliver Twist, running a band of young thieves. She was also caught pushing a baby carriage filled with stolen chickens. One of her adopted daughters was arrested for stealing the clothes from a dead body. Then there was Uncle Barney Bogan, known as The Legless Terror of Camden in NJ. I could go on but it would take hours, LOL!

Old 02-21-2018, 01:22 PM

8,198 posts, read 4,482,911 times
My 7th great grandfather, who I had never heard of until I started searching family history, built a stone house in the Hudson Valley in New York that is a house museum with some of his stuff still there. His surname came down in the family as a middle name but no one knew where it came from.

My two grand-uncles were part of Egan's Rats, an Irish gang that had a strong grip on St. Louis politics and general thievery and vice in the early 1900s. Both died young of TB and share a grave in Calvary Cemetery (along with Dred Scott, General Sherman, and Tennessee Williams).

Old 02-23-2018, 06:48 AM

50,938 posts, read 40,245,456 times
Jesse James was my 6th cousin. My great grandmother remembered her mother talking about "those bad James boys" at family reunions. She was told to stay away from them if they came by.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:59 AM

10,960 posts, read 9,041,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Jesse James was my 6th cousin. My great grandmother remembered her mother talking about "those bad James boys" at family reunions. She was told to stay away from them if they came by.
Have I greeted you as a cousin yet?? I'm also kin to Frank and Jesse James, through their mother, who was a very sweet, very "civilized" lady from a respectable family connected to numerous other respectable old Southern (notably Maryland) families, including the Howards, whose surname Jesse took as his pseudonym. Hence the line about that "dirty little coward, who shot 'Mr. Howard'..." in the eponymous song.

A shining example of Mama having tried...

Old 02-23-2018, 11:39 AM

1,475 posts, read 941,125 times
These stories are great lol.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:49 AM

12,670 posts, read 22,617,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Then you're related to my son who's grandma is also related. I'm stuck on her grandmother's parents (last name White) but know the family her father belonged to because of DNA matches. I just have to figure his name out. I'm not seeing MIL's grandmother attached to census records that would link her to her parents.

I should say I'm seeing her attached to one that says sister at both Ancestry and family search but when I viewed the census it says daughter. I have to email MIL again to see if she can tell me more.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:35 PM

Great-uncle Barney, the Legless Terror of Camden. Wonder if he haunts the older sections of the Trenton State Prison? LOL!

Old 02-24-2018, 07:04 PM

12,670 posts, read 22,617,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Great-uncle Barney, the Legless Terror of Camden. Wonder if he haunts the older sections of the Trenton State Prison? LOL!

Wow! Did he die there? I'm not far from Camden. Different place now

Old 02-24-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Wow! Did he die there? I'm not far from Camden. Different place now
My parents and sister were born in Camden. They escaped to California in 1957

Much to everyone's surprise, he did not die there. He did spend a lot of time there though, according to all the newspaper accounts I have, LOL!

On September 16th, 1904, at age 19 years, Barney lost both legs after attempting to jump on a freight train near Baltimore, Maryland. He slipped and fell to the tracks.

During the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918 he became ill and went home to Camden, New Jersey to die. Family lore has it that he was so sick he had to crawl through the streets and then up the stairs. He died in the home of my grandfather and grandmother, who was his sister. Because the carts were so full of the dying, they had to lay him out in the parlor on an ironing board until there was room for him. This took place at the family home located at 808 Fern Street, Camden, New Jersey. When Uncle Barney died he was not allowed to have a public funeral because he had died from the Influenza.

A very brief run down of some of his arrests...

Uncle Barney jailed in 1904 at Camden, but with five others managed to escape after sawing away at the bars. The newspapers stated that they had taken "French Leave" from the jail.

Uncle Barney was sentenced to two years at the prison in Trenton, New Jersey in May of 1907.

June 1907 - News article about Barney assaulting the operator of a merry-go-round.

Uncle Barney also jailed in 1908 and 1909. Was called the "Legless Terror of Camden" in the newspapers.

Uncle Barney was listed as being incarcerated at the New Jersey State Prison at Trenton in 1910.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or