Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I think it's a 90% probability that you share an ancestor within 5 generations: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/dna-basics/ydna/
I got 4 generations from the TiP report that accompanied this match. To get to a 99% probablity, the report reflects 8 generations.
Attached Thumbnails
Interpreting Y-DNA Matches-tip-report.gif  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNSea55 View Post
I am waiting for my Family Tree DNA results. Do you know when you sent your’s in?
I submitted my DNA sample on 12/10/17; they acknowledged receipt on 12/18/2017; and I received my results on 2/21/2018. Mine was in the midst of their big end of year/Christmas sale so I expected it to take awhile. The expected completion date was originally 2/1/2018 but somewhere along the way, they revised that to about 2/20/2018.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:57 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Let me revise my earlier post: you said you didn't recognize the name of your 67/67 match, but maybe he does have your surname. I assumed at first you meant he didn't have the same surname as you, but maybe that was an incorrect assumption.

If you get a reply from your match and the connection is still a mystery, and if he has tested in FamilyFinder, you don't need to go through GEDmatch to compare autosomal DNA. You can upload your Ancestry raw data directly to FTDNA through their autosomal transfer for free to get your top matches, and for $19 you can get the full set of autosomal (Family Finder) matches.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:00 AM

455 posts, read 669,937 times
Thanks Pawley’s Dude. Looks like I will be waiting awhile. I submitted mid January so I doubt I will see anything by the 28th. The other family member testing with 23 and Me has not heard nothing yet either. Must have been some Christmas rush for these businesses!

Old 02-25-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Let me revise my earlier post: you said you didn't recognize the name of your 67/67 match, but maybe he does have your surname. I assumed at first you meant he didn't have the same surname as you, but maybe that was an incorrect assumption.
Thanks for your feedback. You were right the first time. I have 19 matches with a genetic distance of two or less. All 19 have the same surname, which is different from my surname. None of the 40+ total matches carry my surname.

At this point, it's a mind bender. I've got a relatively strong paper trail for at least 4 generations of my direct paternal line, and I have never come across a hint of the matching surname in any of my research. I've spent a couple days working through help files, genealogical websites, etc. I've pretty well accepted the fact that an NPE or adoption is involved, most likely in the past 4 or 5 generations. My immediate reaction is that I would have preferred ignorance. My paternal side has been the dull dependable one, with numerous available records. All that feels shot to hell. Besides, I have enough contradictions and mysteries on my maternal side to keep me busy for several lifetimes.

Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to upload my data to FTDNA and pay the $19. I still hope to be able to use GEDmatch. I like the estimated generations to MRCA feature, and I'm not sure what tools FTDNA offer.

The one option never mentioned in help files is the possibility of an error in my results. I'm sure that's minuscule and I know it's grasping at straws, but I'd hate like hell to chase ghosts for a couple years, only to find out it was all due to bad data. Oh well, this sure is fun...

Old 02-26-2018, 09:40 PM

Sorry you ended up with an unwelcome surprise, although it may not have been a complete surprise since I think you mentioned before that you weren't getting DNA matches to that line in Ancestry. So it is unlikely there was an error in your results since the one would predict the other. It can really unseat you to find out the surname you took for granted all your life is not your "genetic surname."

What happens when you search your AncestryDNA relatives for the surname you are matching? Is that surname in your New Ancestry Discoveries?

Also, do you have Ancestry matches to the family of your paternal grandmother? If so, then work back and look for matches to the wives of your paternal line ancestors to see if you can tell where an NPE might have occurred.

Having all matches with the same surname is good in your situation. I have seen Y results that are all over the place with lots of different surnames even at 67 markers.

Last edited by aries63; 02-26-2018 at 10:18 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 02:04 PM

Yep, still struggling to get a handle on the situation. A search of my AncestryDNA matches yielded one tree containing the matching surname from about 200 years ago. A surname search of my 5100+ FamilyFinder matches yielded one tree containing the matching surname. Perhaps, those two are a start, along with a likely location search within census reports.

I received a very nice detailed email response from a lady who manages the Y-DNA tests for several of her male relatives that are among my matches. She checked their 4 GEDmatch kits again my kit, with no matches, leading her to assume the match is at least 5 generations back. She also happens to be an admin for the matching Y-DNA surname project, which may be the best break of all.

Oh well, life goes on. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:05 PM

Y-DNA project administrators can provide lots of good help. Lucky that you are in an active project. You will be in good hands.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:58 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
i kept matching people i did not know by surname, one was my great grandfather sister family on my mother side, so it was three surnames ago. it turned out she knew my mom. she was like second cousin to my mom.

confusing: my grandmother on my mom side, her aunt on her father side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy