U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 03:34 PM

15,884 posts, read 32,987,655 times

Advertisements

I received the results from my ancestry dna test a few days ago, and while looking at my matched relatives, about 70% of them are on my father’s side of the family, with the rest being my maternal grandmother’s family. Here’s what’s odd, I can only find ONE match on my maternal grandfather’s side of the family, and it’s like a 4th or 5th cousin or something.

I have always wondered if my grandfather was my Mom’s biological father, because she really doesn’t look anything like him (my aunt does). Shouldn’t I be seeing more than one match, or could it just be that hardly anyone in that section of the family has done the test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 04:00 PM

5,669 posts, read 9,147,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I received the results from my ancestry dna test a few days ago, and while looking at my matched relatives, about 70% of them are on my father’s side of the family, with the rest being my maternal grandmother’s family. Here’s what’s odd, I can only find ONE match on my maternal grandfather’s side of the family, and it’s like a 4th or 5th cousin or something.

I have always wondered if my grandfather was my Mom’s biological father, because she really doesn’t look anything like him (my aunt does). Shouldn’t I be seeing more than one match, or could it just be that hardly anyone in that section of the family has done the test?
^^^^ is the more likely situation. I have similar situation. My Parental line has been in the USA since 1630 Virginia colonies. My mother was born in Italy. Guess which one I don't get DNA matches from.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:03 PM

21,323 posts, read 15,096,786 times
Quote:
I received the results from my ancestry dna test a few days ago, and while looking at my matched relatives, about 70% of them are on my father’s side of the family, with the rest being my maternal grandmother’s family.
What that means is that very few people on your father's side of the family have taken the Ancestry DNA test.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:09 PM

Will dna matches still show up if they’re not in your tree? I have my tree linked to my dna test. So far every match is linked to my tree in some way.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:15 PM

9,287 posts, read 5,532,779 times
Quote:
Will dna matches still show up if they’re not in your tree? I have my tree linked to my dna test. So far every match is linked to my tree in some way.
then you are really lucky, I got thousands of matches but only two are related

Old 02-25-2018, 04:56 PM

634 posts, read 539,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
What that means is that very few people on your father's side of the family have taken the Ancestry DNA test.
I agree 100% percent...!!!

Old 02-25-2018, 05:29 PM

Thanks everyone, I was getting worried. Lol

To take this in another direction... my sister and I do not have the same father. When my mother was 16 she was seeing this guy that could be my sister’s biological father, but around the same time she was also raped by an older man. So, my mother isn’t sure which of those two is my sisters biological father. She married my father shortly after that and he adopted my sister before I was born.

If my sister takes the dna test, can we safely assume that whoever shows up on her match list that isn’t on mine would be from her biological father’s family?

Old 02-25-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
There’s plenty of matches for my father’s side, it’s my maternal grandfather’s section that’s empty.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:37 PM

21,323 posts, read 15,096,786 times
Quote:
There’s plenty of matches for my father’s side, it’s my maternal grandfather’s section that’s empty.
Then you may interpret that as very few people on your maternal grand-father's side have taken the Ancestry DNA test.

Logic you tell you that you can only obtain a match if people submit their DNA to Ancestry.

I had a Y-DNA test done at Family Tree, and it hasn't proved to be of any value, since no other members have submitted DNA samples to Family Tree (which is in part hampered by the fact that the particular Y-DNA haplogroup has a very small population).

Old 02-25-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Then you may interpret that as very few people on your maternal grand-father's side have taken the Ancestry DNA test.

Logic you tell you that you can only obtain a match if people submit their DNA to Ancestry.
I guess I was worried matched people wouldn’t show up if they’re not connected to my tree, since I have my tree linked to my dna results. Now I know they’ll show up regardless, whether they’re connected to my tree or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or