Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:47 PM

426 posts, read 1,282,601 times

Advertisements

Looking for descendants of John Glenn, born about 1796 and Jane(Sally)Peal, they were from the Natural Bridge(Botetort County, Virginia area. Some of them moved to West Virginia around the time of the Civil War, zlso looking for descendants of the Sloss family same area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,349,571 times
If you want to be proactive in the search rather than hoping they find your post, you can find them in the census and work forward, tracing each child's line until you reach the living generation. For instance:

1850 United States Federal Census
Name: John Glenn
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1796
Home in 1850(City,County,State): District 51 and A Half, Rockbridge, Virginia
Family Number: 508
Household Members: Name/Age/Birthyear
John Glenn 54
Jane Glenn 40 abt 1810
Isaiah Glenn 20 abt 1830
James Glenn 18 abt 1832
Nancy Glenn 16 abt 1834
Thomas Glenn14 abt 1836
Joseph Glenn 12 abt 1838
Henry Glenn 10 abt 1840
Washington Glenn 8 abt 1842
Samuel Glenn 6 abt 1844

Moved to West Virgina:
1870 United States Federal Census
Name: John Glenn
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1796
Age in 1870: 74
Birthplace: Virginia
Home in 1870: Grant, Putnam, West Virginia
Race:White
Value of real estate:View image
Post Office:Winfield
Household Members: Name/Age
Henry Glenn 29 1840
Mary Glenn 18 1852
Julia Glenn 3/12 1870
John Glenn 74
Jane Glenn 63

Daughter Julia marries:
West Virginia Marriage Records, 1863-1900
about Julia Glenn
Name: Ira Chapman
Spouse: Julia Glenn
Marriage Date:22 Dec 1887
County: Cabell
State: WV

Julia's line:
1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Julia B Chapman
Home in 1900: Grant, Cabell, West Virginia
Birth Date: May 1870
Birthplace: West VA [West Virginia]
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Relationship to Head of House: Wife
Father's Birthplace: VA
Mother's Birthplace: VA
Mother: number of living children: 5
Mother: How many children: 6
Spouse's Name: Ira D
Marriage year:1887
Marital Status: Married
Years Married:13
Residence: Milton Town, Cabell, West Virginia
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name/Age
Ira D Chapman 35
Julia B Chapman 30
Claud Chapman 11
Albert C Chapman 9
Chas C Chapman 7
Harry F Chapman 4
Horley L Chapman 2

1910 United States Federal Census
about Julia B Chapman
Name:Julia B Chapman
Age in 1910: 39
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1871
Birthplace: West Virginia
Relation to Head of House:Wife
Father's Birth Place: West Virginia
Mother's Birth Place: West Virginia
Spouse's Name:Ira D
Home in 1910: Grant, Cabell, West Virginia
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Household Members:NameAge
Ira D Chapman 47
Julia B Chapman 39
Bernard C Chapman 21
Albert C Chapman 19
Charles C Chapman 17
Harry F Chapman 15
Harry L Chapman 13
Eva L Chapman 10

Just keep moving forward in time, looking for the parents and children in subsequent census years, vital records and obituaries. By 1930, you'll have names to search in "living" records. Do it for each of John & Janes children to find all their descendants.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:57 AM

Default Family

Wow, thanks for all that info.I had some of it, but not all that. I do not know how to access the census info.I need to read more posts on here and elsewhere to find out more info on how to do it.
I have seen some census info, but it is not as detailed as what you have.
Do you have to be a paying member of one of those websites, to get that?
The Chapmans are in my line but not directly.
There is a John Jr.(my great, great grandfather) that was a son of John, that is not listed on there. He was born in 1828. I am wondering if there was some legitamcy issue, because he is never listed. John and Jane are listed as his parents.
It is listed in the family bible. He was married to a Lucy Sloss.I was trying to find out about them. I did find that the name gets mistake for Slopp, as that is what it looks like when it was recorded on some records that were available.
I had hoped to go past the original John Glenn(1796), but have found nothing to tie him into any other Glenns.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 AM

149 posts, read 548,378 times
In many cases your local library will have census data available. Certainly your state library would have it. Or perhaps a local university library. And as mentioned elsewhere on here there are the LDS Family History Centers in many cities.

Or you can gain access via many different websites - Google is your friend - www.google.com

Old 11-28-2009, 03:01 AM

Default Family

Thanks again. You have all been very helpful.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 PM
tbn

1 posts, read 5,332 times
Default Re: Descendants of John Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
Looking for descendants of John Glenn, born about 1796 and Jane(Sally)Peal, they were from the Natural Bridge(Botetort County, Virginia area. Some of them moved to West Virginia around the time of the Civil War, zlso looking for descendants of the Sloss family same area.

I am a good friend of descendants of John (Johnny) Glenn. I just returned from a cabin built by Samuel Chambers Glenn in Riverton, WV (Son of John Glenn born 1817). I was just looking online to see what I could find and stumbled onto your post. I have some photos of Johnny Glenn, with his sisters Mary, Kate, and his mother (Children of George Glenn). Also in the picture are Mollie and James Wolfe, also related to the Glenns. The picture was taken in a logging area near Hendricks, WV.

Attached is a photo of Rosa Glenn Lipscomb, Will Glenn, George Glenn, Rachel Glenn Huggins, Albert Glenn, and Melissa Glenn LaRue

Seated are Amerlia Jane (Mollie) Glenn Wolfe, Samuel Chambers Glenn (father of the group) and Alberta Glenn Wolfe.
Attached Thumbnails
Glenns/Sloss-Natural Bridge VA 1800's-img004.jpg  

Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks for all that info.I had some of it, but not all that. I do not know how to access the census info.I need to read more posts on here and elsewhere to find out more info on how to do it.
I have seen some census info, but it is not as detailed as what you have.
Do you have to be a paying member of one of those websites, to get that?
The Chapmans are in my line but not directly.
There is a John Jr.(my great, great grandfather) that was a son of John, that is not listed on there. He was born in 1828. I am wondering if there was some legitamcy issue, because he is never listed. John and Jane are listed as his parents.
It is listed in the family bible. He was married to a Lucy Sloss.I was trying to find out about them. I did find that the name gets mistake for Slopp, as that is what it looks like when it was recorded on some records that were available.
I had hoped to go past the original John Glenn(1796), but have found nothing to tie him into any other Glenns.
Check your local library to see if they offer free access to Ancestry.com through their computers. They may also offer free access to Heritage Quest, which also has the census records and you can access that from home with your library card.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:07 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
Quote:
Do you have a Joseph Glenn of West Virginia in your line? He lived in the late 1880's.

Feel free to ask for help with locating records. Most of us here are friendly and welcoming to new posters

Old 07-06-2013, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,101 times
Default Glenns/Sloss-Natural Bridge VA 1800's

Do you still need information on the John/Jane Glenn family?

My research shows John born 1796 in Rockbridge, County VA, died Jan 1880 in Grant, Cabell County, West Virginia. Death records shows his age in 1880 as "86" making his birth year abt 1794; father as Henry Glenn.
Married Jane Virginia Peal, born 1804 Rockbridge County, died 9 Sep 1880 at Grant, Cabell, West Virginia, USA.
Children included Nancy A Glenn (1833-1907), married Stephen Floyd Wilkinson(1816-1893); Nancy relocated to Henry County, Indiana, is buried Blountsville Cemetery, Blountsville, Henry County, Indiana (find a grave # 112570344).

Quote:

Old 02-19-2018, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
Default John Henry Glenn

John Glenn was my 3rd Great Grandfather. The family was split during the war and my 2nd Great Grandfather James Madison Glenn remained in Walkers Creek, Rockbridge County, VA. He fought in the 52nd Infantry and was wounded in the battle of McDowell. His two brothers Isaiah and Jacob both died at the Union POW camp in Point Lookout, Maryland. John moved to West Virginia before the war, actually when he moved there it was still a part of Virginia. He lived a long life into his 80's. There was some separation in the family due to the war and I can remember those stories when I was a kid.

Rick Glenn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy