U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 12:27 PM

83 posts, read 55,326 times

Advertisements

My mother's grandmother was a foundling in Italy, born in 1865. I am interested in finding other (heretofore unidentified) relatives from that line.

In 2007 I sent away for a mitochondrial DNA test from National Geographic and uploaded those results into FTDNA.

I see now that there are many more tests that I could order which might yield better "family finding" data. Which one should I buy? The mT full sequence? The Family Finder? My original test was only HVR1, I believe. What do you all think? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 01:53 PM

25,516 posts, read 30,220,413 times
Mitochondrial DNA is of limited use in identifying relatives because it only follows the direct maternal line and maternal surnames in the US mostly change with each generation.

Autosomal DNA covers all of your lines, so it is more helpful. There are several companies that offer that, including Ancestry.com, 23andMe, and Family Tree DNA.

I am disappointed with 23andMe because of poor response from matches when I ask them to compare family trees. More people at Family Tree DNA seem willing to share info. That would be Family Finder.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:03 PM

510 posts, read 702,103 times
I am pretty sure Ancestry will have the most people in their DNA database. More chances for you to match people based off of the shear number of people doing their test. I chose Ancestry for that reason- to find matches from my paternal side, which I knew no one. It matched me up to quite a few people. I have done the free uploads to other sites (FTDNA) and have far less matches, and the matches are also further away, although I have not done Natgeo. For me Ancestry has been well worth it.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:10 PM

3,496 posts, read 5,156,728 times
Unfortunately very few Italians take DNA tests. It may be a long wait before you get any useful matches.

The Full Mitochondrial Sequence is a waste of money. Your matches will be related through ancestors who lived thousands of years ago. Not useful for a mystery as recent as 1865.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Unfortunately very few Italians take DNA tests. It may be a long wait before you get any useful matches.

The Full Mitochondrial Sequence is a waste of money. Your matches will be related through ancestors who lived thousands of years ago. Not useful for a mystery as recent as 1865.
depends on if they immigrated to the U.S. - I would not say it is a waste. I got a DNA match for my Italian grandfathers first cousin who I never knew existed. he is still alive, living in California. I also got a match for another one of my grandfathers first cousins child, who I never knew existed either, also living in the U.S. - we have been in contact and have collaborated on research. While my Italian cousins do not seem so interested in Family research, the Italian Americans seem very interested....and yes I have cousins in Italy that I have known since I was a child and still keep in contact with.--on my Italian American side my great aunt has taken Ancestry DNA (90 years old and still going strong),her brother (87) and his son and granchildren, my aunt, my Irish grandmother (immigrant from Ireland) and cousins from her side that are also Americans.

Last edited by fvncresident04; 02-27-2018 at 06:37 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 11:33 PM

202 posts, read 154,554 times
You will have the largest database if you do an autosomal DNA test through Ancestry. If you can afford it, you might do a 23andme test as that it second largest. I like FTDNA but their database is not that large.

If you test at Ancestry, I would also upload my results to MyHeritage (which is free) as there may be more Europeans on MyHeritage so you may find some matches there you wouldn't find elsewhere.

All of that said -- I would do Ancestry first.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:

sorry Aries63 I misread/misunderstood your post when I quoted you in my last response.

OP - I would agree Ancestry is your best option, followed by 23andme.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:16 AM

So you are all saying that a test from Ancestry.com will yield perhaps a wider range of responses? Is that because there is a better chance of finding people who have signed up to have the test on that actual website? Or is the Ancestry test different from one from FTDNA? If it is, in fact, different, then which test should I order from Ancestry?

Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 AM

3,496 posts, read 5,156,728 times
There is only one test at Ancestry. They have the largest number of people tested. But you never know where a close relative has tested.

So if you want to cover all your bases, take the AncestryDNA test and 23andMe. Then you can upload your Ancestry raw data for free to MyHeritage and the Family Tree DNA Family Finder autosomal transfer. Don't pay for a separate kit at MyHeritage or Family Tree DNA.

You cannot upload raw data from another company to Ancestry or 23andMe, so you have to send in a sample to those companies. Only Family Tree and MyHeritage accept data transfers (no new sample needed for autosomal results). Currently 23andMe data is in a format that doesn't transfer to others.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
There is only one test at Ancestry. They have the largest number of people tested. But you never know where a close relative has tested.

So if you want to cover all your bases, take the AncestryDNA test and 23andMe. Then you can upload your Ancestry raw data for free to MyHeritage and the Family Tree DNA Family Finder autosomal transfer. Don't pay for a separate kit at MyHeritage or Family Tree DNA.

You cannot upload raw data from another company to Ancestry or 23andMe. Only from Ancestry to Family Tree and MyHeritage.
Thanks for this information. Does the Ancestry test differ in any substantive way from any of the other tests (considering I am a female)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or