U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 AM

1,469 posts, read 935,983 times

Advertisements

I look nothing like my distant relatives. I do look like a spitting image of my grandfather though, but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 10:38 AM

451 posts, read 1,121,886 times
I believe it is possible to look like a grandparent, great-grandparent or so. We get a combination of the genes passed down. For examples your siblings will have a combo of genes from both the mom and dad, and the grandparents, etc, but not all in equal portions.

For me, I resemble my father. But, I look nothing like his father. Nor do I look anything like my maternal grandfather or my maternal grandmother. All my grandparents lived in Taiwan. My father's biological mother passed away when my father was only 3 years old. I never knew what she looked like. But, some 6 years ago, my father went to the funeral of his step mother (who was actually my paternal grandmother's younger sister) in Taiwan. He came back with this black and white photo of this lady. I asked who that lady was, and he said that was his biological mother. I was actually stunned because I saw my resemblance to her. It was uncanny- though I am a male and she is female. Our shape of the head, bone structure, nose shape, lips all resembled each other (so my father also resembles her as well as my father's older sister-while my father's other siblings do not). Unfortunately, I only know what one of my great grandparent looks like but not the others and I don't resemble her (a great grandmother).

Old 03-16-2018, 10:51 AM

4,635 posts, read 4,027,074 times
Our maternal genes must be very strong.

Myself, my first daughter, my mother and my grandmother are each 'cut from the same cloth' and look (other than the varying heights) very much alike. 'Spitting image'.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:29 PM

13,431 posts, read 7,474,600 times
Everyone says I look like my maternal grandmother by her picture, more than I look like either of my parents. They see the picture and immediately say something about the resemblance. My mother looks more her dad and I look like her mom.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:26 PM

1,469 posts, read 935,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Everyone says I look like my maternal grandmother by her picture, more than I look like either of my parents. They see the picture and immediately say something about the resemblance. My mother looks more her dad and I look like her mom.
Same with me! Everyone says I look exactly like my paternal grandfather, but nothing like my parents.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:45 PM

12,583 posts, read 21,209,797 times
My cousin is a dead ringer for our great great grandfather. Someone in the family tree shared a picture they found on Ancestry, and when I saw it, I said That’s Gary!!

Old 03-23-2018, 07:41 AM

16,217 posts, read 8,508,340 times
I've read that girls often look like their paternal grandmothers. My own niece looks exactly like my mom, not a distant relative but it was and is always interesting to me that she is the spitting image of my mom, much moreso than myself, she is my younger brother's daughter.

I look like my dad's mother. I read somewhere that girls/women get an exact X chromosome of their paternal grandmother from their father and so we have a bit more genetic connection to our paternal grandmother's family. Not sure if that is true or not but it was interesting.

Someone in a genealogical FB group I'm a member of posted a picture of their own son who is around 9 or 10 and a picture of their own 2nd great grandfather, so their son's 3rd great grandfather when the grandfather was around the same age it was like a freaking doppelganger! She said that she visited an elderly relative and the relative pulled out a picture book and had a picture of her 2nd great grandfather and it floored her how much her son looked like him. The picture was taken of her 2nd great grandfather over 100 years ago.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:02 AM

25,299 posts, read 30,123,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I've read that girls often look like their paternal grandmothers. My own niece looks exactly like my mom, not a distant relative but it was and is always interesting to me that she is the spitting image of my mom, much moreso than myself, she is my younger brother's daughter.

I look like my dad's mother. I read somewhere that girls/women get an exact X chromosome of their paternal grandmother from their father and so we have a bit more genetic connection to our paternal grandmother's family. Not sure if that is true or not but it was interesting.

Someone in a genealogical FB group I'm a member of posted a picture of their own son who is around 9 or 10 and a picture of their own 2nd great grandfather, so their son's 3rd great grandfather when the grandfather was around the same age it was like a freaking doppelganger! She said that she visited an elderly relative and the relative pulled out a picture book and had a picture of her 2nd great grandfather and it floored her how much her son looked like him. The picture was taken of her 2nd great grandfather over 100 years ago.
Inheritance of the X is complicated.

https://dna-explained.com/2014/01/23...osome-that-is/

Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 3,063 times
My cousin looks like my great granddad.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:33 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,095,408 times
Great thread. I see some facial similarities between my direct relatives and distant relatives looking at photos of distant relatives on Ancestry family trees. I even see some similarities of some of the distant relatives that would be considered very distant cousins because of remarriages. As an example where one would have a half-uncle due to sharing only 1 direct relative instead of 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or